Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl (757 Views)

Federal Gov’t Denies Bailing Peter Obi Out Of Detention In UK / Throwback Photo Of General Buhari In A Heated Discussion With Gen. IBB c.1985 / Femi Fani-Kayode: MKO Abiola Funded 1985 Coup That Removed Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by sarrki(m): 11:49am On Dec 07, 2019
I want to tell a story. After General Babangida overthrew General Buhari in August 1985, General Buhari was detained for over a year. Though, there was nothing like the social media then, despite this, some of us mounted consistent campaign for his release. It didn't matter that he was draconian as a military Head of State.

In the school of Human Rights activism that we grew up with, it was blind when it came to defending the rights of anyone, including your traducers. So, we vigorously campaigned for his release.

In the course of the agitation, we discovered that there were lots of people illegally detained without trials, in our prisons, some for over ten years.

So, we started going to the prisons to get the names of these people and filing fundamental rights actions in court for their release.

It then occurred to us to formalise this. By us, l mean the initial four musketeers - Olisa Agbakoba, Clement Nwankwo, Abdul Oroh and myself to sit down on October 15, 1987 to formally start the first Human Rights body in Nigeria - CIVIL LIBERTIES ORGANISATION (CLO).

It is necessary to give the background and context to the setting up of this ORGANIZATION, to the effect that it was the initial agitation for the release of General Buhari from Babangida's detention, that eventually led to the formation of the first Human Rights body in the country.
It didn't matter that he was also an abuser of human rights as a military dictator.

So, when some people today begin to rationalise some illegal actions because you don't like the victim, it's unfortunate. A victim is a victim. Even an armed robber deserves a fair hearing. That is my mantra.

Richard Akinnola II

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by globalresource: 11:50am On Dec 07, 2019
Buhari, please respect the rule of law. We are not in banana republic

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Brandstudio01: 11:50am On Dec 07, 2019
OK Oo
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by itsme01: 11:51am On Dec 07, 2019
So what is this article targeting?

When Buhari's mother died due to breif illness and neglect from everybody including his wife sefinatu while Buhari was in prison, people like Obasanjo mobilised international support to get him freed to atleast bury his mum

But look at him making the same mistake again and again

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by chriskosherbal(m): 11:51am On Dec 07, 2019
Sarrki I seem not to understand the head way of this article fully , but from little i can deduce from it, is that all I want to say here is irrespective of party, tribal or religious affiliation let's call a spade a spade.

It will do us a lot of good as individuals and a Nation in general.
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by sarrki(m): 11:53am On Dec 07, 2019
itsme01:

Read and seek knowledge young man
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by itsme01: 11:56am On Dec 07, 2019
sarrki:

i am pro APC, Pro Democracy..

but why cant someone like you take a stand instead of posting silly articles?

why not voice out without fear, that you are against buhari's needless use of force and rash decission, atleast Ameachi was recorded saying that and he never got booted out of the cabinet, same way Aisha continously took a stand

so whats your fear young man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Anigreat: 11:57am On Dec 07, 2019
shocked

Not here to read stupid article written by sophisticated zombie.

Buhari has always been a tyrant, not just a tyrant, but a foolish and useless one.

I'm not against anyone who support this administration, heaven bear me witness. But when doing it, do it with sense.

I was a hard supporter of GEJ in his days as a president even up till now. Were GEJ bleeped up, I won't hesitate to point it out. Objectivity should be the keyword for any political leader supporter...Not everything he does you clap for or ass lick.

, hear me this day! I'm not a prophet , but the words of a bitter heart is so powerful. Since you think everything your darling daddy buhari does in this country is right nothing is wrong as far as you're concerned. May God raise someone who will give you and your generation yet unborn the same dos of pill buhari is giving to people in this country. I'm so bitter with you.

Sarrki, to you it obvious you have been cursed long time ago....and may nothing break the curse instead may it multiply a hundred fold

Buhari is a tyrant, haven't seen a president as useless as this motherfucker from Daura.

The fool has no respect for the rule of Law, Albert Dicey will be crying in his grave now.

Useless country with useless president.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by sarrki(m): 11:58am On Dec 07, 2019
itsme01:

When Buhari's mother died due to breif illness and neglect from everybody including his wife sefinatu while Buhari was in prison, people like Obasanjo mobilised international support to get him freed to atleast bury his mum

Did you say obasanjo?

Baba obasanjo never mount any pressure

Baba like ibb and was ok with is way of governance

Don’t forget around the same time was when ibb spent over 2 billion Nigeria taxpayers money for obj to get United nation secretary job that failed

1 Like

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by sarrki(m): 12:00pm On Dec 07, 2019
chriskosherbal:
Sarrki I seem not to understand the head way of this article fully , but from little i can deduce from it, is that all I want to say here is irrespective of party, tribal or religious affiliation let's call a spade a spade.

It will do us a lot of good as individuals and a Nation in general.

My brother

I took a stand yesterday with my post

The essence of this is

Baba benefited from human rights activism

So he should also respect same

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by orion7: 12:06pm On Dec 07, 2019
sarrki:

My brother

The essence of this is

took which stand? what's the diff between buhari and his supporters ? non.

or was it not your friends and fellow supporters of that senile Buhari that went to protest for sowore to be locked up by dss yesterday?

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Ofemmanu1: 12:11pm On Dec 07, 2019
sarrki:

My brother

The essence of this is

Hmm.
You want change mouth abi?
Cow shiiit no sweet for your mouth again abi?
You wan confuse thunder?!
See, you remained a zombie and you're on thunder list.

Also that basterrd suyaseller, he's nowhere to be found since yesterday.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by itsme01: 12:16pm On Dec 07, 2019
sarrki:

Did you say obasanjo?

Don’t forget around the same time was when ibb spent over 2 billion Nigeria taxpayers money for obj to get United nation secretary job that failed

i never said obasanjo opposed IBB's regime, i said he mounted international pressure for Buhari's release after his mum died

After OBasanjo's letter to shagari, his Government started lossing support from the military with Buhari as a GOC violating orders during the chadian invassion, Obasanjo was very much in support of the coup even Abiola sponsored it, and since Buhari decided to let Idiagbon step on peoples's toe even as with junior rank Obasanjo also supported their removal through coup, IBB knowing he needs OBJ's backing had to do something to please him and take him out hence the UN lobby... this still doesnt change the fact that OBJ came out in public and contacted his US contact when Buhari wasnt released after a while
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Kestolove(m): 12:18pm On Dec 07, 2019
Nigeria will never no peace as long as Buhari is still Alive

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by sarrki(m): 12:27pm On Dec 07, 2019
Kestolove:
Nigeria will never no peace as long as Buhari is still Alive

Never wish anyone death
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by ChoCho54(f): 12:33pm On Dec 07, 2019
Buhari's 5yrs in power is the worst so far Nigerians will never forget in a hurry.

As for sarrki..

1 Like

Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by ChoCho54(f): 12:36pm On Dec 07, 2019
sarrki:

Never wish anyone death
Tell that to the suicide bomber from yola who wants death sentence for free speech.
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by sarrki(m): 12:38pm On Dec 07, 2019
ChoCho54:
Buhari's 5yrs in power is the worst so far Nigerians will never forget in a hurry.

As for sarrki..

Baba is doing wonderfully well on Anti corruption
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Balyz: 12:48pm On Dec 07, 2019
Buhari should sack that DSS director and release sowore
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Olaikpu1: 1:37pm On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
sarrki:

Baba is doing wonderfully well on Anti corruption
[/s]
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Olaikpu1: 1:37pm On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
sarrki:

Never wish anyone death
[/s]
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Olaikpu1: 1:58pm On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
sarrki:

[/s]
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Olaikpu1: 1:58pm On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
sarrki:

Did you say obasanjo?

[/s]
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Olaikpu1: 2:00pm On Dec 07, 2019
[s]
sarrki:

My brother

The essence of this is

[/s]
Re: Buhari Detention In 1985 Started Human Right Activism In Nigeria- Richard Akionl by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 08, 2019
Anigreat:
shocked

Not here to read stupid article written by sophisticated zombie.

Buhari has always been a tyrant, not just a tyrant, but a foolish and useless one.

I'm not against anyone who support this administration, heaven bear me witness. But when doing it, do it with sense.

I was a hard supporter of GEJ in his days as a president even up till now. Were GEJ bleeped up, I won't hesitate to point it out. Objectivity should be the keyword for any political leader supporter...Not everything he does you clap for or ass lick.

Mannabbqgrill, hear me this day! I'm not a prophet , but the words of a bitter heart is so powerful. Since you think everything your darling daddy buhari does in this country is right nothing is wrong as far as you're concerned. May God raise someone who will give you and your generation yet unborn the same dos of pill buhari is giving to people in this country. I'm so bitter with you.

Sarrki, to you it obvious you have been cursed long time ago....and may nothing break the curse instead may it multiply a hundred fold

Buhari is a tyrant, haven't seen a president as useless as this motherfucker from Daura.

The fool has no respect for the rule of Law, Albert Dicey will be crying in his grave now.

Useless country with useless president.
if dem check dis one well, dog don cut part of him balls, dats why he is barking like dog wey dem wan use do peppersoup, u go soon go psychiatric hospital.stop barking & disturbing d thread or i go woose u beta slap

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Is On The Path Of Prosperity, Says Osinbajo / PHOTOS: Buhari Receives Ganduje And Kano APC Leaders In Abuja / Phones Of NSA Boss, Other Top Officials Discovered To Have Been Cloned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.