Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act (15910 Views)

Again, Buhari Asks National Assembly To Amend Electoral Act / Senator Bima Enagi Introduces Bill To Ban Generators; 10-year Jail For Seller / Eta Mbora Introduces Bill On Automatic Employment For Graduates After NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by CastedAyo: 5:19pm On Dec 09, 2019
Igbere TV reports that Deputy Senate President Ovie Omo-Agege says he has introduced a bill for comprehensive amendment of the Electoral Act No. 6 of 2010.

Omo-Agege revealed this on Monday at the Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room Stakeholders Forum on Elections organised by the coalition of more than 70 civil societies in Abuja.

He said the bill, co-sponsored with Senator Abubakar Kyari of Borno North Senatorial District, was now making its way to public hearing, having scaled second reading with overwhelming bipartisan support in the Senate.

“It is a decisive response to a plethora of our Supreme Court’s decision inviting the National Assembly to make sensible amendments to the Electoral Act,” he said.

“And I believe it is responsible for us to take the apex court’s constructive guidance on issues that fundamentally affect our democracy.

“This apart, Section 153 of the Electoral Act, 2010, as amended, specifically and expressly empowers INEC to issue regulations, guidelines, or manuals for the purpose of giving effects to the provisions of this Act and for its administration thereof.

“The pervasive non-compliance with the Guidelines, Regulations and Manuals, would carry clear consequences for people who think violating electoral due process is a rewarding exercise.

“The proposed Bill to amend the Electoral Act would focus on resolving issues surrounding INEC’s introduction of modern technologies into the electoral process, particularly accreditation of voters.”

Omo-Agege said that the bill would also mandate the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to publish the voters’ register for public scrutiny at every registration area and on its website, at least seven days before a general election.

According to him, it also mandates INEC to suspend an election in order to allow a political party that loses its candidate before or during an election to conduct a fresh primary to elect a replacement or new candidate.

He said the bill would grant agents of political parties the right to inspect original electoral materials before the commencement of election, define over-voting to include situations where “total votes cast also exceed total number of accredited voters’’.

INEC chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, was represented by the commission’s head of information and voter education, Festus Okoye.

http://igberetvnews.com/1185978/just-senate-omo-agege-introduces-bill-amend-electoral-act/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by gaddafe(m): 5:27pm On Dec 09, 2019
So what about under-age voting? And deliberately preventing some regions from registration and collection of voters card?

And strategic disenfranchisement by INEC officers either being late or having to grapple with difficulties to get people to vote and yet pack up by 4pm.

And voting rights of diasporas.

****Edited****

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Blakjewelry(m): 6:08pm On Dec 09, 2019
lets see if they can achieve this in this life time

6 Likes

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Forward77(m): 6:11pm On Dec 09, 2019
I pledge to Nigeria my country.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed with hope.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Kendumazy(m): 4:36am On Dec 10, 2019
OK
Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Jobio1(f): 4:38am On Dec 10, 2019
YInmu
Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Yankee101: 4:38am On Dec 10, 2019
Only after grabbing power abi

Saraki did it but Buhari refused to sign

What's different now? Plus are you sure the north will like this?

15 Likes

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Nobody: 4:38am On Dec 10, 2019
Buhari won't like this

1 Like

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Dchaer(m): 4:39am On Dec 10, 2019
Waiting for the outcome. Please can some update me about the hate speech bill?

1 Like

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by netpro(m): 4:39am On Dec 10, 2019
As long as there is no Server included, I am in support. grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by mikoloson: 4:40am On Dec 10, 2019
Can they just move the motion that we should start using our Bvn and our phones to vote from home? Instead of the yahaya bello kind of elections.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by ursullalinda(f): 4:40am On Dec 10, 2019
They won't attend to it......because most of them came through the back door......and still planning to use the door for another tenure.....if it's to gag Nigerians......the bill will be flying fast

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Xisnin(m): 4:55am On Dec 10, 2019
The amendment is useless without electronic transmission of votes.

8 Likes

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by LabDNA: 5:03am On Dec 10, 2019
If real time electronic voting and transmission is not included, then it is a waste of legislative hours.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by mamaafrik(m): 5:06am On Dec 10, 2019
Bvn oriented e_voting with our phones is what we need,some university are already using it in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by skkslar: 5:07am On Dec 10, 2019
Welcomed development
Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by englishmart(m): 5:08am On Dec 10, 2019
If they like they should amend and re-amend, voting for me ended in 2019.

6 Likes

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by chrisxxx(m): 5:09am On Dec 10, 2019
Let see
Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by OKUCHI11(m): 5:13am On Dec 10, 2019
Nigeria as a nation is not yet politically matured for Democracy...click like if you agree with me... click share if you think otherwise...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by leofab(f): 5:15am On Dec 10, 2019
You have the yam and knife... Male it happen
Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by realstars: 5:16am On Dec 10, 2019
The real purpose of the bill is to pass the law of inconclusive when ever the seating party is about to loss in the contest, so to make a rerun favorable to them.
It is a case study from the past experience.
Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by EasternPrince: 5:30am On Dec 10, 2019
LabDNA:
If real time electronic voting and transmission is not included, then it is a waste of legislative hours.

PDP senators should know that having seen it kill their presidential candidate. If they let the bill get passed without closing all loopholes its their headache not mine. I don't vote again, what's the use when the whole exercise will be rigged, APC style?

6 Likes

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by mytime24(f): 5:33am On Dec 10, 2019
Na today

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Renforce: 5:34am On Dec 10, 2019
Oga how will all these help us
Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by PrinceMajestic: 5:46am On Dec 10, 2019
My senator can be a complicated man. It was thesame electoral amendment bill he challengd s.p saraki of 8th senate for that such bill was targetted at the presidnt which made saraki to suspend him although the suspension was nullified and the mace ceased for the insolence but now i cannot undstnd y my senator(dsp) is d one sponsoring the electoral amendment bill in the 9th senate. Well i trust my distinguishd DSP knws what he's doing and the president will endorse it since he already achieved he's second term.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by dochenaj: 5:53am On Dec 10, 2019
gaddafe:
So what about under-age? And deliberately preventing some regions from registration and collection of voters card?
Add strategic disenfranchisement by INEC officers either being late or having to grapple with difficulties to get people to vote and yet pack up by 4pm.

That's the smartest rigging mechanism I've seen.
Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Racoon(m): 5:58am On Dec 10, 2019
Anything short of e-voting with BVN/TIN is not acceptable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by pawesome(m): 6:06am On Dec 10, 2019
Here is what he wanted n desperate to ammend

To allow political parties conduct another primary elections in the eventuality of them loosing dia candidates..so elections will have to be postponed in that particular region

we all know which party was mostly affected by that...anything that dsnt involve electronic voting is a total waste of ammendment...abi is it Omo agege that brought thugs to the NA because of election something

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Omo-Agege Introduces Bill To Amend Electoral Act by Topmaike007(m): 6:18am On Dec 10, 2019
All this people are only after themselves,if you belive him sorry sorry oo in Femi Kuti voice

(1) (2) (Reply)

NDLEA Arrests Drug Dealer, Intercepts Cocaine, Meth, Illicit Substances / Adamu Adamu Appointed Patron Of Tinubu Support Organisation / Hezbollah Weapons Warehouse Belongs To Sierra-Leonean – Lebanese Consul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.