Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,343 members, 7,811,993 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. (25995 Views)

Nigerian Navy Launches New Warship / Buhari Nominates Buratai, Olonisakin, Ibas, Abubakar, Usman As Ambassadors / Yusuf Gagdi Inspects Nigerian Navy's New Warship Under Construction In UAE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by marvin906(m): 8:19am On Dec 10, 2019
BreconHills:

NNS Aradu was an amazing build. Anti ship, anti sub with its 2 onboard helicopters/sonar dip devices and a threat to air and land forces with its missiles. A revolutionary ship.

Very good piece. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Informative and well written.

Does the NDA have a missile program or we just buy

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Viktom(m): 8:29am On Dec 10, 2019
Do you want to go into business but don't know much about the business? We will give you a good feasibility study at a negligible price and relay every necessary details to you. Or
Do you have capital but don't have a business and you are willing to make a risk free investment that will recoup your investment and pay you interest too. Or
You have idea but don't have capital and you want to do something with your idea. Or
You have both idea and capital but need a business plan that can take you to the top.
The answer is here, @ Victom Investment group we have answers to all these problems.
Reach us via phone: 08133933149 or mail us at victom.dmay@gmail.com
A trial will convince you.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Bluffly: 8:44am On Dec 10, 2019
ideatoprince18:
What does Nigeria need warship for?

Do we have any external threat?

Why was it launched in UAE

Is the keel laying ceremony not good to perform in Nigeria ports or waters?

All this questions keep befuddling my mind
You prepare to waive up threats should they show up.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by abeggnow: 8:45am On Dec 10, 2019
ideatoprince18:

LOL.DUDE u most be real ignorant in military matters.the keel-laying ceremony can not be laid in Nigeria because it is not being built in Nigeria. The keel is the lower part of the ship. As for the external treat part, the ship is not fighting ship its basically a logistic ship for carrying troops and equipment, it will come handy in UN and ECOMOG operations
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Square2020(m): 8:51am On Dec 10, 2019
Na welcome developmnt
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Befii: 8:55am On Dec 10, 2019
Another rubbish scheme again. Why not Russia, or even China self. Does UAE possess better military except they import? d other day, it was Slovakia. Clueless opportunists!
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by naptu2: 9:09am On Dec 10, 2019
Navy to get new landing ship tank, 40 years after

December 10, 2019
By Precious Igbonwelundu

Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, on Monday laid the keel for the construction of a warship, Landing Ship Tank (LST) 100 to boost Nigerian Navy’s (NN’s) sealift capability.

The keel-laying ceremony, which took place at the DAMEN Shipyard Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), came 41 years after the Federal Government purchased two German 502 Amphibious vessels – NNS AMBE and NNS OFIOM, which were decommissioned over 10 years ago.

The Nation reports that LST 100 would in no small way aid naval operations at sea because aside its unique combat strength, the warship has the ability to lift battalion of soldiers and heavy equipment at once.

Laying the keel, Ibas said it was a significant step towards actualising the dream of restoring NN’s sealift capability since the decommissioning of NNS AMBE and NNS OFIOM.

“These vessels served the Navy meritoriously in the 1980s-‘90s, playing significant roles during the ECOMOG intervention operations in Liberia and Sierra Leone, as well as other peace support operations in Lebanon.”

“The NN’s acquisition of this LST 100 will certainly go a long way in filling the operational gap created by the decommissioning of the two NN ships.

“The LST, when completed and delivered, is expected to play crucial roles in the security of Nigeria’s maritime environment and beyond. Specifically, the ship will be engaged in the protection of maritime resources and the preservation of law and order at sea, thus contributing significantly to promotion of global maritime commerce and maritime power projection in Nigerian Maritime environment and the Gulf of Guinea (GoG) at large.

“It is, therefore, my fervent belief that this shipyard will complete the construction of the LST with all the attention and due diligence it deserves, to rekindle our historic relationship and pave way for other areas of collaboration in the future,” he said.

Congratulating DAMEN Shipyard for winning the bid for the construction of the ship, Ibas noted that two NN Tugboats – DOLPHIN RIMA and DOLPHIN MIRA – built by the firm were still operational and in service on the Navy’s fleet.

“The selection of DAMEN Shipyards to execute the project was based on its track record of high quality ship building capacity, engineering as well as a belief in the company’s ability to adhere to the timeline for delivery of the ship.

“Cognisant of your pedigree and experience over the years, the NN is confident that you will not only build this ship in line with the specifications and configuration to the highest standards but also deliver the project on schedule. Timely delivery is not negotiable.

“On this note, I would like to thank The President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari, for his untiring support for the rejuvenation of the NN fleet since assumption of office.

“The NN and indeed the government and good people of Nigeria look forward to a masterpiece that will reflect the best skill as well as the highest standard of engineering, safety and observance of timeliness in the construction of the LST,” Ibas said.

https://thenationonlineng.net/navy-to-get-new-landing-ship-tank-40-years-after/

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by spencekat(m): 9:21am On Dec 10, 2019
OfficialAPCNig:

If the fool retires without siting naval university in beloved SS, he will hear from us
He cannot.His people don't even like him because of his selfishness.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Randerl: 9:32am On Dec 10, 2019
naptu2:

Thank you.

This Is Another One
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Neddyogu(m): 9:38am On Dec 10, 2019
ideatoprince18:

Any shipyards in Nigeria?
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by JJOF(m): 9:47am On Dec 10, 2019
ideatoprince18:

We need warships to fight Sowore grin grin
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by BreconHills(m): 9:56am On Dec 10, 2019
marvin906:

Does the NDA have a missile program or we just buy

If there is a missile program it must be in it's very rudimentary stages and will probably for stand alone units. Ship and air missiles require fusion with the ship/plane systems which is a big deal. Range would also be an issue.

There may be. I really dont know.

The armaments on the Aradu on commissioning were 8 Otoman Mark 1 missiles with a 100-180km range but required the helicopter on board to act as a relay station to take the missiles beyond the horizon. It also had 24 Aspide short range 25km missiles.

2 Likes

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by BreconHills(m): 10:05am On Dec 10, 2019
Neddyogu:

Any shipyards in Nigeria?

To answer your question. Nigeria is a regional power and therefore it requires a navy to project power since it does not use other countries as military bases. Perhaps apart from Sao Tome

Does it have external threat? None immediately from its neigbours. Cameroon was a hostile country for a while as was Chad in the 80's until Nigerias PMB nearly took over their capital with a mechanised division after they failed to curb islamic militants operating from their country. The two countries I spoke of are no longer threats. However Nigeria is an America in West Africa. In the past, It intervened in Sierra Leone, Liberia Gambia and Sao Tome.

Is there a naval dockyard? Yes. There is one in Apapa and one on Snake Island. The latter can build small naval patrol boats. There are also some private companies like Proforce in Ede that build small patrol boats.

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 10, 2019
Wasted armed forces grin
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by ChiefSweetus: 10:36am On Dec 10, 2019
Naptu tha gawd!
My favourite man on here cool

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by dfrost: 10:51am On Dec 10, 2019
ChiefSweetus:
Naptu tha gawd!
My favourite man on here cool

You can say that twice. wink I like him with the way he drops facts.

Also I'm beginning to like BreconHills. Replies with calm.

Naptu2, BreconHills greetings to you folks.

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by dlox147(m): 10:54am On Dec 10, 2019
I hope the contract comes with a bilateral building arrangement so we can gradually develope our local weapons building technology.

I remember we built two destroyers during the GEJ era, one would have thought the present administration would have followed through to see that we localised much of our military hardware Production.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Iscoalarcon: 11:00am On Dec 10, 2019
naptu2:

They haven't finished building it. They will finish building it in May.

Most of Nigeria's warships were built for Nigeria. It's only in the 2000s that we started this practice of acquiring second hand warships and I'm happy that it's coming to an end.

NNS Obuma (Nigeria) was built for Nigeria in the Netherlands in the 1960s, NNS Aradu was built for Nigeria in Germany in the 1970s and '80s, etc.
wow nice to hear that
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by BreconHills(m): 11:14am On Dec 10, 2019
dfrost:

You can say that twice. wink I like him with the way he drops facts.

Also I'm beginning to like BreconHills. Replies with calm.

Naptu2, BreconHills greetings to you folks.

Thank you, and warm greeting to you too. Wishing you a wonderful new year in advance.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by naptu2: 11:16am On Dec 10, 2019
dlox147:
I hope the contract comes with a bilateral building arrangement so we can gradually develope our local weapons building technology.

I remember we built two destroyers during the GEJ era, one would have thought the present administration would have followed through to see that we localised much of our military hardware Production.

They weren't destroyers. They were Corvettes. Nigeria has never had a destroyer. The closest we've ever had to a destroyer was NNS Aradu, which is a large frigate.

The idea of producing warships locally gained ground when Admiral Ganiyu Adekeye was chief of naval staff (during the Obasanjo era) and it has been moving along quite well.

Admiral Adekeye wanted to resurrect Nigeria's first frigate, NNS Obuma (NNS Nigeria) and use it as a training ship. That didn't happen (NNS Obuma was scrapped).

He wanted to build a patrol boat in Nigeria and that was achieved. NNS Andoni (P100) was commissioned by President Jonathan.

The Nigerian government ordered two corvettes from China. The corvettes were built in China but completed in Nigeria. They are NNS Unity and NNS Centenary.

A second seaward defence boat was commissioned by President Buhari in 2016. It's called NNS Karaduwa (P102).

A third seaward defence boat (SB III) is under construction.

2 Likes

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by BreconHills(m): 11:30am On Dec 10, 2019
dlox147:

I hope so too. I think we need to see what our comparative advantage is and pursue this. Most defence platforms are made up of "best fit" third party/country equiptment so we probably should be looking at this route rather than wholesale manufacture. Israel for instance does amazing work retooling US supplied armaments.

Building the carcass and engine are good starts but modern warfare is an over the horizon affair so avionics, radar controlled weaponry and eye in the sky satellites and planes will give us the greatest advantage. Government must stimulate the private sector towards this end.

I still think the ATR 42 planes bought by GEJ is Nigerias most strategic acquisition. A lot was wrong with military strategy and acquisition in this era but the ATR42 is not one of them.

My prayer is that we refuse opportunities to bait and demonize other political parties as a means of encouraging them ( when they get to power) to continue what good was done by previous governments. We also need to do long range planning that encourages cooperation across different administrations.

2 Likes

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by dlox147(m): 11:42am On Dec 10, 2019
naptu2:

They weren't destroyers. They were Corvettes. Nigeria has never had a destroyer. The closest we've ever had to a destroyer was NNS Aradu, which is a large frigate.

The idea of producing warships locally gained ground when Admiral Ganiyu Adekeye was chief of naval staff (during the Obasanjo era) and it has been moving along quite well.

Admiral Adekeye wanted to resurrect Nigeria's first frigate, NNS Obuma (NNS Nigeria) and use it as a training ship. That didn't happen (NNS Obuma was scrapped).

He wanted to build a patrol boat in Nigeria and that was achieved. NNS Andoni (P100) was commissioned by President Jonathan.

The Nigerian government ordered two corvettes from China. The corvettes were built in China but completed in Nigeria. They are NNS Unity and NNS Centenary.

A second seaward defence boat was commissioned by President Buhari in 2016. It's called NNS Karaduwa (P102).

A third seaward defence boat (SB III) is under construction.

Thanks for additional info
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by dlox147(m): 11:56am On Dec 10, 2019
BreconHills:

I hope so too. I think we need to see what our comparative advantage is and pursue this. Most defence platforms are made up of "best fit" third party/country equiptment so we probably should be looking at this route rather than wholesale manufacture. Israel for instance does amazing work retooling US supplied armaments.

Building the carcass and engine are good starts but modern warfare is an over the horizon affair so avionics, radar controlled weaponry and eye in the sky satellites and planes will give us the greatest advantage. Government must stimulate the private sector towards this end.

I still think the ATR 42 planes bought by GEJ is Nigerias most strategic acquisition. A lot was wrong with military strategy and acquisition in this era but the ATR42 is not one of them.

My prayer is that we refuse opportunities to bait and demonize other political parties as a means of encouraging them ( when they get to power) to continue what good was done by previous governments. We also need to do long range planning that encourages cooperation across different administrations.
I agree with you. There's need to be strategic if we have to be competitive and impactful in this exclusive club of military hardware Production.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Mccullum: 1:02pm On Dec 10, 2019
ideatoprince18:

If you want peace as a country, you must always prepare for war .
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by olajide8(m): 2:59pm On Dec 10, 2019
No be this wicked man armed navy force be this?
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by dfrost: 3:04pm On Dec 10, 2019
BreconHills:

Thank you, and warm greeting to you too. Wishing you a wonderful new year in advance.

Thanks boss for thanking me cheesy grin
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Legendguru: 4:09pm On Dec 10, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by naptu2: 4:16pm On Dec 10, 2019
More details about the LST 100.

Nigerian Navy lays keel of new tank landing ship

Written by defenceWeb -10th Dec 2019

The Nigerian Navy will be getting a new tank landing ship from Damen Shipyards in May 2020, with the keel laid on Monday during a ceremony at Damen’s shipyard in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, laid the keel of the Landing Ship Tank (LST 100) at Damen Shipyards Sharjah in the UAE.

The new vessel will replace the landing ships NNS Ambe and NNS Ofiom, which were decommissioned ten years ago. They were Type 502 amphibious vessels built by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft (HDW) in Germany in 1978.

“Today’s ceremony is a significant step towards actualizing the dream of restoring the Nigerian Navy’s sea lift capability after the Service decommissioned two similar LSTs more than 10 years ago,” Ibas said.

“These vessels served the Navy meritoriously in the 1980s-90s, playing significant roles during the ECOMOG intervention Operations in Liberia and Sierra Leone, as well as other peace support operations in Lebanon.

“The Nigerian Navy’s acquisition of this LST 100 will certainly go a long way in filling the operational gap created by the decommissioning of the two Nigerian Navy ships. As you may be aware, the bid for this project was highly competitive, as several other shipbuilding companies tendered for her construction. Permit me, therefore, to congratulate Damen Shipyards on winning the bid for this project.”

Ibas pointed out that Damen Shipyards had already built two tugboats for the Nigerian Navy, the Dolphin Rima and Dolphin Mira, and these are still in service.

“The LST, when completed and delivered, is expected to play crucial roles in the security of Nigeria’s maritime environment and beyond,” Ibas said. “Specifically, the ship will be engaged in the protection of maritime resources and the preservation of law and order at sea, thus contributing significantly to promotion of global maritime commerce and maritime power projection in Nigerian Maritime environment and the Gulf of Guinea at large.

“It is, therefore, my fervent belief that this Shipyard will complete the construction of the LST with all the attention and due diligence that it deserves, to rekindle our historic relationship and pave way for other areas of collaboration in the future.

“On this note, I would like to thank the President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari, for his untiring support for the rejuvenation of the NN fleet since assumption of office.”

In May this year, Ibas said the Nigerian Navy was negotiating with foreign shipyards for the acquisition of a 100 metre Landing Ship Tank. At the time, he said the Navy was looking at acquiring four 17 metre fast interceptor boats by November 2019 and was expecting the delivery of a hydrographic survey vessel in December 2019 (the 60 metre vessel will be delivered from France in 2020).

Efforts are ongoing to acquire more helicopters for the Nigerian Navy air arm. Between 2015 and 2019, Ibas said the Nigerian Navy had acquired two offshore patrol vessels, the NNS Centenary and NNS Unity from China, a second locally built Seaward Defence Boat (NNS Karaduwa), six OCEA patrol boats (NNS Nguru, Shiroro, Ekulu, Ose, Gongola and Calabar) and more than 200 riverine patrol boats.

According to Damen, the landing ship vessel has been designed for amphibious operations, transport and logistics but secondary tasks include maritime security operations, humanitarian aid, disaster relief, search and rescue (SAR), operations command, mine counter measure (MCM) and hydrographic survey operations and support.

The 1 300 ton LST 100 is 100 metres long, has a maximum speed of 16 knots and range at 15 knots of 4 000 nautical miles, with an endurance 15 days. A bow ramp allows for the direct transfer to and from beaches and is rated to 70 tonnes. The internal ramp is rated at 30 tonnes and the stern ramp 70 tonnes.

The vessel can carry two embarked LCVPs (landing craft, vehicle, personnel), a helicopter/UAV on the flight deck, unmanned undersea vehicles and miscellaneous cargo with a 25 ton deck crane. Crew is 18, but 27 additional personnel can be accommodated or 235 troops.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/nigerian-navy-lays-keel-of-new-tank-landing-ship/
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Neddyogu(m): 5:45pm On Dec 10, 2019
BreconHills:

To answer your question. Nigeria is a regional power and therefore it requires a navy to project power since it does not use other countries as military bases. Perhaps apart from Sao Tome

Does it have external threat? None immediately from its neigbours. Cameroon was a hostile country for a while as was Chad in the 80's until Nigerias PMB nearly took over their capital with a mechanised division after they failed to curb islamic militants operating from their country. The two countries I spoke of are no longer threats. However Nigeria is an America in West Africa. In the past, It intervened in Sierra Leone, Liberia Gambia and Sao Tome.

Is there a naval dockyard? Yes. There is one in Apapa and one on Snake Island. The latter can build small naval patrol boats. There are also some private companies like Proforce in Ede that build small patrol boats.

Simple question wey I ask u, u begin teach history and geography. Any shipyards in Nigeria to build a vessel of that nature? Yea or nay.
Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by BreconHills(m): 7:04pm On Dec 10, 2019
Neddyogu:

Simple question wey I ask u, u begin teach history and geography. Any shipyards in Nigeria to build a vessel of that nature? Yea or nay.

I am sorry you find my answer tiresome. It seemed to me you were asking several questions. Please read what I posted again. The answer is in there and its a no.

1 Like

Re: Admiral Ibas Launches Keel Of Nigeria's New Warship. by Neddyogu(m): 7:37pm On Dec 10, 2019
BreconHills:

I am sorry you find my answer tiresome. It seemed to me you were asking several questions. Please read what I posted again. The answer is in there and its a no.

So y d hullabaloo about not building d ship in Nigeria when u know the facility and technical know-how ain't available here? Now read ur initial post again and see if it was necessary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Buhari Departs For UK For Medical Check-up - Photos / Ramota Lawal, british-nigerian Wins Election In The UK / Amaechi’s Letter To Saraki Lacks Merit, Says PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.