Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,588 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

My Cucumber Farming Experience ... - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cucumber Farming Experience ... (1236 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by Kresthillfarms: 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2019
Hi Guys, we at Kresthill Farms Nigeria would like to share with you all our cucumber � farming experience. Though we are a bit far gone, we will still like to interact, learn and share details of what has happened in the past weeks. Stay tuned and also follow us on the following platforms to get more updates....

instagram: @kresthillfarmsnig
Twitter: @kresthillfarms
YouTube: Kresthill Farms Nigeria
Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by Kresthillfarms: 7:12pm On Dec 11, 2019
1. CLEARING OF THE LAND & BED MAKING:

We decided to plant on about 5 plots of land, so after clearing and burning the bushes. We made about 40 long beds. I learnt that most vegetable farmers make ridges instead of beds but we use beds because they are flat which makes planting cucumbers easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSlbAxRQMxc
Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by Kresthillfarms: 7:21pm On Dec 11, 2019
2. STAKING:

This is the act of driving a stake or rod into the ground close to a plant to provide support for its stems.

The natural tendency of cucumbers is to climb, so placing a stake near the plant as it begins to grow allows the plant to wrap around the stake and grow up. We will be using bamboo sticks for staking on the beds we’ve made.
Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by Kresthillfarms: 7:32pm On Dec 11, 2019
3. LAYING OF IRRIGATION SYSTEMS:

Now, Irrigation is the application of controlled amounts of water to plants at needed intervals. It helps to grow crops, maintain landscapes, and revegetate disturbed soils in dry areas and during periods of less than average rainfall.

There are two types of irrigation in agriculture which are the traditional and the modern types. In the course of our journey, we used a modern type of irrigation called Drip System Irrigation..
Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by Kresthillfarms: 3:00am On Dec 12, 2019
4. PLANTING:

We tested the soil and the results came back great with the ph level of the soil being balanced. So we planted on the land without using manure since it was a virgin land.

We planted by pushing the seeds 1 inch into the soil, with a spacing of 45.72 cm apart. Normally it takes between 3 days to a week for the plants to germinate.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by Kresthillfarms: 3:16am On Dec 12, 2019
5. FERTILIZATION:

Cucumbers grow quickly and should never be allowed to suffer from lack of water or nutrients. Advanced cucumber cultivation must supply the crop with optimal rates of nutrients throughout the growth cycle in the most efficient manner possible, and without degrading soil and water resources.

So at day 14, we fertilized the plants through fertigation. (this is the application of fertilizer through the irrigation system).

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by ogaademola: 11:06am On Dec 12, 2019
Please where is your farm located
Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by Kresthillfarms: 12:20pm On Dec 12, 2019
ogaademola:
Please where is your farm located

It’s off sagamu/Abeokuta expressway. Ogun state
Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by Kresthillfarms: 11:13pm On Dec 12, 2019
6. TRELLISING:

This is a technique used in keeping crops off the ground. by using this method, the crops won't rot or sit on the soil. So because we planted vining varieties of cucumbers( which are the climbing types of cucumbers), We trellised vertically in order to give the plants some spacing, prevent diseases, give better airflow, protect from pests and make it easier to harvest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3smljySF-oY
Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by sosowater: 12:15am On Dec 13, 2019
Great thread. Please help with pictures
Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by Kresthillfarms: 10:03am On Dec 21, 2019
Updates:

The plants are 5 weeks now and have started fruiting..we are looking forward to harvesting next week before or after the Christmas celebrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1-OEmnB4a8

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Farming Experience ... by dailynaijanews(m): 6:52pm On Dec 22, 2019
This is awesome and beautiful. shocked

How many pieces are you looking at harvesting from this? If you wouldn't mind, can you share your financials as well.. How much you'v spent etc. Finally, how do you plan to market it?

(1) (Reply)

Broilers For Sale In Lokoja / Takagro 20 10 10 NPK At 6500 / Coffee Arabica Needed In Large Quantity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.