Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,335 members, 7,829,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Still On Sowore And Sss – Perception Versus Reality, By Charles Omole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Still On Sowore And Sss – Perception Versus Reality, By Charles Omole (159 Views)

Oil Price: Nigeria And The New Reality By Oke Umurhohwo / Buhari Group Knocks Soyinka, Falana, Others Over Comments On Sowore’s Arrest / Lauretta Onochie On Sowore Arrest: “DSS Saved Him From Setting Self Ablaze” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Still On Sowore And Sss – Perception Versus Reality, By Charles Omole by shehuolayinka(m): 3:08pm On Dec 12, 2019
Many, in response to my Thread (twitter) of Sowore and why I believe his arrest was premature are saying Sowore went too far in his use of the word “RevolutionNow”.

But these folks are giving a basic English interpretation to the word. Words tend to have Legal meanings (and tests) away from its ordinary english meaning which have been well defined by common law. What is a Threat must be distinguished from what is constitutionally protected speech.

Home Opinion STILL ON SOWORE AND SSS – Perception versus Reality, by Charles Omole
Opinion
STILL ON SOWORE AND SSS – Perception versus Reality, by Charles Omole
written by Admin December 11, 2019
Omoyele Sowore
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email
WhatsApp
Tumblr

Dr. Charles Omole

Many, in response to my Thread (twitter) of Sowore and why I believe his arrest was premature are saying Sowore went too far in his use of the word “RevolutionNow”.

But these folks are giving a basic English interpretation to the word. Words tend to have Legal meanings (and tests) away from its ordinary english meaning which have been well defined by common law. What is a Threat must be distinguished from what is constitutionally protected speech.

One of my Twitter Followers – eekabadcrane – captured this very well when he stated the Legal test based on a famous case:

In Watts v. United States (1969), the Supreme Court held that under the First Amendment only “True Threats” may be punishable.

The Court stated that alleged threats must be viewed in context, and noted that in the “political arena” in particular, language “is often vituperative, abusive, and inexact.” Thus, the Court further held that “political hyperbole” is not a true threat.

Sowore’s #RevolutionNow call appears to be a “political hyperbole” for protest against what he believes are the failings of the Muhammadu Buhari led govt.

The use of the word “revolution” and the context in which he used the word may have been an inexact way of referring to “protest” against his perceived failures of the government.

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/12/11/still-on-sowore-and-sss-perception-versus-reality-by-charles-omole/

(1) (Reply)

EFCC & ICPC Invite Apapa Local Government Chairman / Stakeholders Calls For Arrest, Prosecution Of Election Violence In Kogi / Adaojo Victor Greets President Buhari At 77

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.