Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,557 members, 7,958,731 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 09:47 PM

It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car (866 Views)

You Don't Have Right To Protest High Electricity Tarriff - Police Tell Youths / Frederic Oladeinde: Lagos To Fine Event Centres Whose Guests Block Roads / Court Orders Rapist Of School Children To Pay N7,000 Fine Or Go To Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car by AutoReportNG: 7:42pm On Dec 12, 2019
There are many illegalities that are going on in Nigeria that we let to go, not because they are right but because we are not enlightened enough to know our right as a citizen, the duties of the state, local and government agencies. Many at times, the local government agencies have turned themselves to god by milking the citizens dry not only that, most of what they are illegal.

According to the taxes and levy gazette act released in 1998, it states the type of taxes the three government arms are to government. Many at times, the local government guys have abuse their office and start doing the work of VIO and FRSC.

These are the authorized levies that the Federal Government of Nigeria approved in 1998 for Local Government, anyone charging you anything apart from this is a criminal.

Taxes and Levies to be collected by the Local Government

1. Shops and kiosks rates.
2. Tenement rates.
3. On and Off Liquor Licence fees.
4. Slaughter slab fees.
5. Marriage, birth and death registration fees.
6. Naming of Street registration fee, excluding any street in the State Capital.
7. Right of Occupancy fees on lands in rural areas, excluding those collectable by the Federal and State Governments.
8. Market taxes and levies excluding any market where State finance is involved.
9. Motor park levies.
10. Domestic animal licence fees.
11. Bicycle, truck. canoe, wheelbarrow and cart fees, other than a mechanically propelled truck.
12. Cattle tax payable by cattle farmers only.
13. Merriment and road closure levy.
14. Radio and television licence fees (other than radio and television transmitter).
15. Vehicle radio licence fees (to be imposed by the Local Government of the State in which the car is registered).
16. Wrong parking charges.
17. Public convenience, sewage and refuse disposal fees.
18. Customary burial ground permit fees.
19. Religious places establishment permit fees.
20. Signboard and Advertisement permit fees.

The only accepted fee they are empowered to tax is when you park wrongly, local government do not have the power to tax or bill you apart from that.

Many at times, we have fallen prey to the craftiness of these so-called officers that even when we are right but because we are not sure of what the law says, we have to part with our hard-earned money. One of the ways they tend to outsmart motorists is by quoting the wrong parking code which they quickly used to rob you in.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2019/12/its-illegal-local-governments-do-not-have-right-to-fine-or-tax-your-car.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Marpol
Dominique

1 Share

Re: It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car by AutoReportNG: 7:43pm On Dec 12, 2019
Don't be used as an ATM...
Re: It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car by choice17(m): 7:50pm On Dec 12, 2019
Thanks AutoReportNG!!
These local governments guys can be ruthless and mean eh

I remember when growing up a long time ago, they really extorted my mum, no one was bold enough to challenge them

1 Like

Re: It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car by kelechi50: 8:10pm On Dec 12, 2019
I was a victim early this year, I was stopped by this guy's to pay for basket and other stuff and I challenge them before they called me to give them something and go. It's all about knowing your right.
Re: It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car by AutoReportNG: 8:21pm On Dec 12, 2019
Nice we are educating people...

Lalasticlala
Re: It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car by edoairways: 10:56pm On Dec 12, 2019
The moderators should do something
Re: It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car by tck2000(m): 2:10pm On Dec 13, 2019
Jeez look at multiple taxation,
Re: It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car by BlackfireX: 2:52pm On Dec 13, 2019
With maj gen buhari as the president... I will gladly pay.
Re: It’s Illegal! Local Governments Do Not Have Right To Fine Or Tax Your Car by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
Lalasticlala sef!

(1) (Reply)

Woman Sold Her Husband #6000 Use The Money To Buy Cloth For Her Children / Lockdown : Police Mercilessly Beat Up Married Woman In Ibadan / I Killed Him Because He Always Preach To Me About Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.