Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. (1392 Views)

Landlord Shoots Tenant Over Rent In Lagos / Quit Notice To A Tenant / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. by Treash(m): 12:14pm On Dec 13, 2019
There are condition precedents to reviewing rent in Lagos State. Such includes inflation, prevailing market value, structural improvement or previous deeds executed by both parties in their tenancy agreement, if any.

Under the Lagos State Tenancy Law, 2011, specifically Section 37, a tenant can apply to court for a declaration that the increase in rent is unreasonable and the court has the power to determine whether or not the same is reasonable, taking due cognizance of the rent payable in similar apartments in the locality. If the court is satisfied that the increase is unreasonable, it can change it to a specific amount.
Re: Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. by carbon1224(m): 12:20pm On Dec 13, 2019
Na the court buy them cement and blocks and Lagos s state should refuse collecting the land use charge. Mchewww
Treash:
There are condition precedents to reviewing rent in Lagos State. Such includes inflation, prevailing market value, structural improvement or previous deeds executed by both parties in their tenancy agreement, if any.

Under the Lagos State Tenancy Law, 2011, specifically Section 37, a tenant can apply to court for a declaration that the increase in rent is unreasonable and the court has the power to determine whether or not the same is reasonable, taking due cognizance of the rent payable in similar apartments in the locality. If the court is satisfied that the increase is unreasonable, it can change it to a specific amount.
Re: Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. by Treash(m): 12:20pm On Dec 16, 2019
Contact us
Re: Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. by femilambor007(m): 3:47pm On Dec 18, 2019
Please, I want to verify this.

In a situation, a tenant needs to terminate its rent immediately due to relocation without notifying the landlord in 3months advance as the Law says and still have 5months rent left.

1. How many months refund is he due for from the Landlord or is he entitled to the full 5-month rent left.
2. ANy law backing the above answer.

Thanks in advance

Treash:

Re: Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. by Treash(m): 5:00pm On Dec 18, 2019
femilambor007:
Please, I want to verify this.

In a situation, a tenant needs to terminate its rent immediately due to relocation without notifying the landlord in 3months advance as the Law says and still have 5months rent left.

1. How many months refund is he due for from the Landlord or is he entitled to the full 5-month rent left.
2. ANy law backing the above answer.

Thanks in advance

You're not entitled to any refund, being a fix tenant. The amount payable is presumed to have existed, except if the landlord willingly decide to evict you. I also believe you've been issued a rent receipt for the tenure. However you may decide to sublet the house subject to the consent of the landlord.
Re: Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. by Treash(m): 5:18pm On Dec 18, 2019
In addition, you can only demand for a refund if part of the covenant has been breached substantially by the landlord. For example, if he promises to reconstruct a right of way/entry, supply water or amend substantial part of the building which you believed him and paid, but he failed to fulfill.
Re: Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. by femilambor007(m): 6:23pm On Dec 18, 2019
Treash:

You're not entitled to any refund, being a fix tenant. The amount payable is presumed to have existed, except if the landlord willingly decide to evict you. I also believe you've been issued a rent receipt for the tenure. However you may decide to sublet the house subject to the consent of the landlord.

Thanks for your feedback, I wasnt given a receipt for it

I actually told the Landlord & the caretaker two weeks before my rent expires (August) I won't be renewing my rent but since the offer I was waiting for was delayed.

I talked to the caretaker again I may need more time pending the time the offer clicked and he told me to pay 6-months and while they refund me of any month i didn't use.

I paid the money in September(after my rent expire in August) two weeks later the offer clicked and i dropped the key October 12.

I was surprise he was saying they will have to deduct money for Sept - Nov instead of September alone because i didn't give them 3months noticed.

And the agreement only say I should give them 3months notice, there is no where its written the 3months will be deducted if i didn't pre-inform them.

That's why I want to confirm if it's right they remove it or i should press charge for the #45k they deduct for the two extra months

Re: Rights Of A Tenant Over A Reviewed Rent In Lagos State. by Treash(m): 10:02pm On Dec 18, 2019
femilambor007:

Thanks for your feedback, I wasnt given a receipt for it

I actually told the Landlord & the caretaker two weeks before my rent expires (August) I won't be renewing my rent but since the offer I was waiting for was delayed.

I talked to the caretaker again I may need more time pending the time the offer clicked and he told me to pay 6-months and while they refund me of any month i didn't use.

I paid the money in September(after my rent expire in August) two weeks later the offer clicked and i dropped the key October 12.

I was surprise he was saying they will have to deduct money for Sept - Nov instead of September alone because i didn't give them 3months noticed.

And the agreement only say I should give them 3months notice, there is no where its written the 3months will be deducted if i didn't pre-inform them.

That's why I want to confirm if it's right they remove it or i should press charge for the #45k they deduct for the two extra months

Aside the agreement, the mere fact that the care taker has orally conceded to refunding the unused rent initially entitles you to a refund. Moreover, you have notified them ahead, of possibilities to terminate the tenancy at any time. You may however waive it considering the amount involved to seek your claim. Best regards

(1) (Reply)

Latest Polished Type Of Floor Concrete Stamping( Beautiful And Shiny) / Sold !!!!! Used Sumec Firman SPG 3000 E2 Petrol Generator. / Now Letting, Sharp New 2 Bedroom In Asaba, Call 09058818181

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.