Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Police Hits Pedestrian While Driving Against Traffic, Abandons Him In Hospital - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Police Hits Pedestrian While Driving Against Traffic, Abandons Him In Hospital (431 Views)

Please Help My Brother Is Dying In Hospital / Road Users Drive Against Traffic As Fuel Tanker Falls On Otedola Bridge / NEW Trash Collectors DRIVING Against Traffic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Hits Pedestrian While Driving Against Traffic, Abandons Him In Hospital by Serendipity101: 6:06pm On Dec 13, 2019
The Nigeria Police Force, Bayelsa State command, has been accused of knocking down a pedestrian with their patrol van, and abandoning him at the hospital in the state capital – Yenagoa.

According to reports, the incident happened in the Ekeki area of Yenagoa when the victim, Shadrack Ogbonna, was crossing the road on May 6, 2019. He was allegedly hit by a police being driven against traffic.

The officers in the van reportedly rushed Ogbonna to the hospital. It was disclosed by the doctor that he had sustained brain injuries, and needed to undergo a medical procedure abroad which would cost ₦5 million.

Wife of the victim, Asu Ogbonna, revealed that the police had initially agreed to offset his hospital bills, but changed their mind after the doctors said 5 million was needed for a procedure overseas. According to her, the police stated that they would not offset the bills because the officer who knocked down her husband was on a state assignment when it happened.

“That morning, I left him in the house to Swali market where I trade. Before I left, we talked about plans to raise money for our rent that was to expire in June. So, I was in the market when I got a call that my husband was involved in car accident.

““When I got to the hospital, I found my husband in a bad condition. I thought he was dead. I was told that he was hit by a police van driving against traffic. The police promised to take care of his medical bills, but they later said they would not give us a dime because it was the state government that sent them on an errand when the incident occurred.”

Corroborating the story, the victim’s brother in law, Joseph Ngene, said the situation was pathetic. He disclosed that the police showed interest to assist initially, but took their hands off when they heard that ₦5 million was needed for a medical procedure abroad.

“As it is now, it is clear that my brother would never live a normal life again, yet the police are asking us to go to court because they know that we don’t have the power and finance to challenge them on the matter. I want to plead with well-meaning Bayelsans and Nigerians to come to our aide.”

Asinim Butswat, Bayelsa State Command Police Public Relations Officer, acknowledged that the accident occurred. According to him, the police was offering assistance to the victim.

Culled from https://naijauto.com/market-news/police-knock-down-pedestrian-5684

Re: Police Hits Pedestrian While Driving Against Traffic, Abandons Him In Hospital by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:13pm On Dec 13, 2019
under what authority did the cops said they were gonna offset the hospital bill?! who would even believe it (unless with written statement from oga at the top)?!
Re: Police Hits Pedestrian While Driving Against Traffic, Abandons Him In Hospital by tonye33(m): 6:20pm On Dec 13, 2019
After Satan is Nigerian police

I don't feel sorry when any of them dies

1 Like

Re: Police Hits Pedestrian While Driving Against Traffic, Abandons Him In Hospital by EvilPOTATO(m): 6:20pm On Dec 13, 2019
Since yesterday, Thursday, I have been down with severe backache, runny nose and malaria.

Although I am trying to treat it with lemon juice but it isn't helping.
I have nothing on me to even afford ordinary amala tablets. Please house Help me
Re: Police Hits Pedestrian While Driving Against Traffic, Abandons Him In Hospital by gbenatom(m): 5:50am On Dec 14, 2019
Really bad ☹️

(1) (Reply)

Toks 2003 Toyota Camry / Ep3 & Ep2 Lithium Grease / 2007 Model Toyota Corolla With Firstbody Must Go Now Because It's Really Intact

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.