Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,028 members, 7,956,808 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:36 PM

Seriously where do you draw the lines? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Seriously where do you draw the lines? (326 Views)

Two ‘Next-In-Lines’ That Never Became Olubadan Of Ibadan In Recent Years / Meaning Of The Five Lines On A Palm / Where Do We Draw The Line Between Calling Wrong Wrong And Judging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seriously where do you draw the lines? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 13, 2019
How do you know where to draw the lines between conforming to cultural traditions and being professional in the "oyibo" way?

For instance, by our culture, we are supposed to respect our elders

But what about elders who routinely give sincere but hopelessly outdated "advice"?

Feel free to share your thoughts...
Re: Seriously where do you draw the lines? by nlPoster: 11:43pm On Dec 13, 2019
Examples of the outdated advice?

Please dont mention sex but something practical.

1 Like

Re: Seriously where do you draw the lines? by Nobody: 12:16am On Dec 14, 2019
nlPoster:
Examples of the outdated advice?

Please dont mention sex but something practical.

Thanks for your response

Like I mentioned earlier, how do you know where to draw the lines between conforming to cultural traditions and doing what you believe it's the right thing?

(Not sure why you mention sex though)

I gave an example to illustrate my point. Do you have anything to add?

Cheers
Re: Seriously where do you draw the lines? by nlPoster: 2:56am On Dec 14, 2019
I dont really have anything to add.

I mentioned sex because that's a common topic here.

how do you know where to draw the lines between conforming to cultural traditions and doing what you believe it's the right thing?

When there's a conflict, I'd say do the right thing unless utilitarianism dictates otherwise.

Wisdom is needed.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Invention And Discovery Of Ancient Egypt Used Today / Eating From Dream / Who Rightfully Owns The Compound

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.