Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? (3597 Views)

Why Do People See Mass Communication As A Course That Breeds Unemployment / What Is The Relevance Of "Political Science" As A Course.? / Does It Mean Dat Studing MATHS As A Course Will Make One End Up As A Lecturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? by Jibson999(m): 10:04am On Nov 27, 2010
i got admitted under the above course. i would lyk to know the job oportunities available under it and the prospects and also to know d other side of it
no bashing pls
Re: U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? by Thesleek(m): 8:06pm On Dec 01, 2010
Hi,am a graduate of urp from Lautech.
The one place where you can easily secure job is with the Federal,state or Local govt.But you know in Nigeria of now,what you read doesn't really matter because we have urp graduates working in banks,oil companies,IT firm etc.

I for example am working for a logistics company so you can see that it doesn't matter but one advice i will give to you is that you must make sure you come out with a 2.1 no matter how hard it may seems.

i hope this little bit of info is ok for you.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? by Jibson999(m): 9:30pm On Dec 01, 2010
thanks for d reply.
but pls can u state why i have to come out wit 2.1
Re: U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? by tollu: 9:58pm On Dec 01, 2010
URP = Urban & Regional Planning yeah?

Jibson999:

thanks for d reply.
but pls can u state why i have to come out wit 2.1

The class of degree issue has been overflogged already and The sleek probably suggested you graduate with 2.1 minimum so you have more opportunities (Perceived) and a good start in the job market in the job market.
Re: U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? by Thesleek(m): 9:53am On Dec 02, 2010
tollu:

URP = Urban & Regional Planning yeah?

The class of degree issue has been overflogged already and The sleek probably suggested you graduate with 2.1 minimum so you have more opportunities (Perceived) and a good start in the job market in the job market.

Tollu,you are right.having a 2.1 only give a better chance in the already saturated labour market.
Re: U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? by Jibson999(m): 1:07pm On Dec 02, 2010
thanks guys. but still contemplating whether to change to quantity surveying, since they are in the same field
Re: U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? by Jibson999(m): 8:02am On Dec 08, 2010
The sleek:

Tollu,you are right.having a 2.1 only give a better chance in the already saturated labour market.

true talk but seems its beta one should be self employed. dont know if dat can aplly to an urban & regional planner
Re: U.R.P As A Course. good or bad? by tollu: 8:41pm On Dec 09, 2010
One can be self employed, IF that's where you are led but then you can't knock being in paid employment. It's all about what you want to be, what you see yourself doing.

If you are not looking towards anything professional i.e (Law, Medicine etc) , I think one should hav an outlook that it's just a first degree, you can always build on that. In that vein, there's nothing wrong with the URP that u've been offered. If you believe that Quantity surveying would serve your purposes better (though I don't see how). Perhaps, you should go for that. As long as U don't have to waste 1 more year.

(1) (Reply)

Spsm Or Cips For Supply Management Certification / Why A Career In Photography Is Not A Bad Idea, Steps To Becoming A Professional / 7 Young Igbo Men Meet Their Utimely Death As They Try To Rescue An Hausa Man In-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.