Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,908 members, 7,835,031 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors (13099 Views)

Japa: Nigeria Lost 16,000 Doctors In Five Years – Minister / It's Now One Doctor To 10,000 Patients, 4,000 Doctors To Migrate Abroad – NARD / Brain Drain: Nigeria Left With 24,000 Doctors – NMA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by joelison(m): 6:09pm On Dec 16, 2019
Im number 74, 871 registered medical doctor in Nigeria.. And will be leaving latest in 2yrs after my housemanship and nysc... [color=#006600][/color]

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by armadeo(m): 6:37pm On Dec 16, 2019
Gforce2015:
Why would a doctor be trained in Nigeria with tax payers money and then leave for another country in search for greener pastures?
Federal govt shld control all these abnormalities. There should be a policy that we compel all our medical students to use the knowledge they have acquired in Nigerian institution for Nigerians. They shld be compelled to work for the country for at least 5 years before traveling out for greener pastures

They weren't trained for free. Oga.

Besides you cannot force anyone to work for you after paying school fees. If conditions were favourable they wouldn't leave.

P.s he disaster isnt evennapparent to you guys right now. Let me.clue you in by 600 level medical school the young ones have started writing thier professional exams to practise abroad, they are not even waiting to graduate again. They already plan to leave once they finish cos they can see the truth that you cannot.

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by armadeo(m): 6:41pm On Dec 16, 2019
onyxo76:
my colleague relocated in October another will be leaving by January, my date is by April 2020, it's simply not worth hanging around here again, after slaving for 15 years post qualification I've had enough.

Elder. Pls stay and help.
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by DexterousOne(m): 6:43pm On Dec 16, 2019
AjalaDtraveller:
I have one experienced medical doctor friend here. He works in the warehouse. He is passing through difficult exams and certifications and he said he needs to pass them to be retrained, although it's shorter term than for a fresher. But it's really been tough for him. This is someone who was qualified to work before. Yes you may relocate but you have to pass through this hurdles to finally get the licence to be able to practice in first world countries. Its not as easy as people think.

That's true

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by onyxo76(m): 7:10pm On Dec 16, 2019
armadeo:

Elder. Pls stay and help.
for where? if you get chance you go stay back? help ko, helpers ni

1 Like

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by deuzgreat: 8:24pm On Dec 16, 2019
Gforce2015:
Why would a doctor be trained in Nigeria with tax payers money and then leave for another country in search for greener pastures?
Federal govt shld control all these abnormalities. There should be a policy that we compel all our medical students to use the knowledge they have acquired in Nigerian institution for Nigerians. They shld be compelled to work for the country for at least 5 years before traveling out for greener pastures
Not applicable to private uni grads
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by deuzgreat: 8:29pm On Dec 16, 2019
Innoxxacs:
leave the fo.ol talking no.ns.ense! Paying 250k for the past 5yrs is taxpayers money ba?

I laugh NYSC for drs is not even neccessary,,,for those leaving wink
People in private uni pay up to 3million yearly. So ur 250k is highly subsidised
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by deuzgreat: 8:30pm On Dec 16, 2019
beautyhound:

it is not d duty of a doctor to administer injections... b careful of quacks among doctors, nurses...
But it's d duty of doc to give iv and deliver babies? Una no well
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by deuzgreat: 8:34pm On Dec 16, 2019
onyxo76:
my colleague relocated in October another will be leaving by January, my date is by April 2020, it's simply not worth hanging around here again, after slaving for 15 years post qualification I've had enough.
U punt? Lol. All dez oau health centre funny docs sef. Hope ur not that albino bald man that's always angry? I hope to slap him one day
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 16, 2019
evansjeff:
That's not the only problem. Amongst this 42000, a high number of the senoir doctors no longer go to the hospitals, especially teaching hospitals. They leave those student doctors who have no experience to be battling taking care of numerous cases thereby leading to avoidable loss of lives.

Student doctors don't attend to cases. Student doctors are medical students who are still under training.

The most junior doctor that attends to a patient is a House Officers. House Officers work under supervision of senior colleagues.

Thank you
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by DexterousOne(m): 9:36pm On Dec 16, 2019
Many people seem to miss the point

It's the rot in the system AND the horrid conditions of service that is to blame for the mass exodus of bright professionals such as doctors; scientists and engineers, etc

It's NOT the pay.

If you double the pay across board, many will still leave

But if you double the efficiency and conditions of service substantially

People will at least consider

We have old men with repugnant and retrogressive thinking people at the top

Many millenials can't deal with that

Among many other issues

2 Likes

Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Quarterbac: 12:14am On Dec 17, 2019
That's because the sensible ones are all running to Canada and the UK. BTW, didn't buhari say we have too much doctors in the country? Nigeria. I hail!
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by Umorosky17(m): 3:37am On Dec 17, 2019
What about the number of those that are dead, retired, doctors turn politicians, musicians and businessmen, still among the 75k?
The matter really serious.
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by evansjeff(m): 6:44am On Dec 17, 2019
PrayerSlayer1:

Student doctors don't attend to cases. Student doctors are medical students who are still under training.

The most junior doctor that attends to a patient is a House Officers. House Officers work under supervision of senior colleagues.

Thank you

Thank you for the attempt to correct me.

But be aware that I specifically referred to them as student doctors because many of them are still learning and lack the requisite knowledge. And what kind of supervision is done from home? These junior doctors have to keep calling these senoir doctors on phone because they are obviously confused.

Go to these teaching hospitals and see how patience are dying because of incompetence of these "student doctors".
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by beautyhound(m): 10:22pm On Dec 19, 2019
deuzgreat:

But it's d duty of doc to give iv and deliver babies? Una no well
either u r blind or something administration of drugs, IM, IV wotever is by the nurses
Re: Francis Faduyile: Nigeria Has Only 42,000 Doctors by deuzgreat: 6:41am On Dec 20, 2019
beautyhound:
either u r blind or something administration of drugs, IM, IV wotever is by the nurses
Are u in nigeria at all? No

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stop Rejecting Gunshot Victims, Police Warn Hospitals / 5 Natural Remedies For Purging To Avoid Antibiotics Abuse / Enugu Discharges One COVID-19 Patient

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.