Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,581 members, 7,837,195 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off (7930 Views)

Official French Open ( Rolland Garros ) 2012 Thread / Tennis: Roland Garros 2011 (where Are All These Yeye Tennis Fans Self) / Tennis: Roland Garros 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 1:06pm On Jun 11, 2007
tried once, cldnt use my arms for a week! shocked grin grin grin
still got my racket for decoration cheesy
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2007
grin grin grin

its seems so easy on TV but when u get out there, different ball game --- never got to learn beyond holding the racquet. grin
what age do you think is ripe for a tennis play to retire ? am thinking 25 kuz that sport's darn "breath-taking" --- literally !
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 1:38pm On Jun 11, 2007
25 For the females, maybe
though the American that was No1 some 3rys back for a while cant rem her name now
was far above that age but was beatn he younger ones silly
but venus also thought a lesson grin

i think that henin has shown us that it takes more than mere raw strenght to get there
Aggassi, was well above that age when he played his last grand slam
and was able to beat some guys

i think that we should be lookn at 30 for the women
and 33 for men
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 1:48pm On Jun 11, 2007
What 33 4 women --- wanna turn center courts 2 cemetaries !? grin heck let 'em just paly till whenevr their bodies give up on 'em ! but looking @ the nu' generation female tennis players, a lot of 'em are gonna be out by 28 !

anyways, saw Serena's pic on ur profile & i wished i didn't, kuz i can't think straight now sit straight 2 grin !
maybe you should just spare us brovaz the dilemma & put urs out @ least we can relate to that better ! cheesy
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 1:54pm On Jun 11, 2007
Roflmbao

grin grin grin grin grin grin

thats one cool pic! wink kiss
dont sit, just stand grin cheesy

im allergic to taking pictures unfortunately cheesy

lol
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 2:00pm On Jun 11, 2007
grin grin stand with a 6-inch pole sticking out in front of my pants --- no thanx ! yeah, i feel u on the pix, i don't like taking 'em me'self, you've got to take me unawares 2 get a mug shot of me !

aside tennis what other sports are you into ?
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 2:07pm On Jun 11, 2007
lol
grin grin grin

i love football, basketball,volleyball, swimming

u?
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 11, 2007
e don turn to e-flirting? grin
Pop some champagne viee, Nadal has just chopped down the Firoko tree from his lofty heights. grand slam indeed, he should be content with getting a thrashing here and there from now on. Thank God for Nadal, many of us would have stopped watching tennis. they could as well just write Federer's name on the trophy without hitting a ball.

What happened to Marat Safin? Davydenko should have beaten Fed at the semis of the FO but he choked on the big points. Imagine serving for the set on all 3 sets and yet losing in straight sets!! shocked
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by Iman3(m): 2:30pm On Jun 11, 2007
The tennis don finish na,wetin una two still dey discuss-Ruudie & Viee ? grin
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 2:47pm On Jun 11, 2007
lol @david & I-man

david , i don drink myself to stupor cheesy
glad men!

may be Davydenko didnt feel he cld win it
or he had too much respect for federer! angry

glad Nadal won
that is the single most important thing to me smiley cheesy grin
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 11, 2007
i'm going to settle to watch the grass tournament in Queens, the pretenders will all be there to wear themselves out. We know where the crown is likely to go again this yr. Federer again. Hopefully Nadal can up his grasscourt game.
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 3:55pm On Jun 11, 2007
Howdy --- the official NL tennis GameCast Krew wink I think Nadal's gonna make the semi @ Queens, he's game on grass not really that awful; xcept when he meets the "grass xperts" !

@ Viee,

defntly Football, athletics (track & field), volleyball, basketball (just a lil' bit), boxing, wrestling, F1, cycling etc.
did u really go all crazy when Nadal won like getting all xcited & jumping around just like after a goal is scored in football folks around u must have thot u queer lipsrsealed
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jun 11, 2007
Ruudie, i actually pumped my fists Nadal style and yelled my house down each time Nadal fought off 16 of 17 breakpoints, broke Federer's serve or took a set. When the final was over, i landed on my own back too except of course there was no clay around me.
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 4:43pm On Jun 11, 2007
Whoa, all these theatrics kuz of a tennis game --- i mean, i love it when my person wins but guess i'm kinda' used the old fashion way --- deathly silence; no cheering, hooting or cat-calls on center court; only bring on the noise after a point's scored !
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 4:49pm On Jun 11, 2007
i csreamed my voice out!
i kept making noise and my folks were all lookn me at as if i hv lost my mind cheesy
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 5:18pm On Jun 11, 2007
tennis just ain't our thing here ! ever watched any of our local tennis tourneys ?

when my brother used to work as a sports correspondent for Paul Bassey's sport paper, i used to go with him to the national stadium to cover different sporting events; i watched the first Guv'nors cup tennis tourney, it was crazy fun cheesy --- the Nigerian crowd just didn't know how to act in a tennis setting, they kept on ranting & raving like it was a football match.
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 11, 2007
RuuDie:

tennis just ain't our thing here ! ever watched any of our local tennis tourneys ?

when my brother used to work as a sports correspondent for Paul Bassey's sport paper, i used to go with him to the national stadium to cover different sporting events; i watched the first Guv'nors cup tennis tourney, it was crazy fun cheesy --- the Nigerian crowd just didn't know how to act in a tennis setting, they kept on ranting & raving like it was a football match.

I did the same when i first came here. Last yr i went with my cousin to one of his junior nationals matches and kept yelling during the points. His opponent (the fellow couldnt be more than 16) threw down his racket and started screaming LET! LET!
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 5:29pm On Jun 11, 2007
i hv only seen the gov's cup on telly
empty stands sad
but i was impressed by the level of organisation based on what i saw on telly ooo

our no1 igbinovia i think  undecided is not even in the first 100
so im not suprised by the lack of popularity

we are all lookin at football since it seems the stars of football shine brighter  grin

PS i love track and field, boxing(go sammy peters wink), wrestling  i[b] love sports in short[/b]  grin
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 5:33pm On Jun 11, 2007
we are good at yelling grin
we yell when we are gistn and when we are angry too
not to talk of when we are prayn! shocked cheesy

so in tennis?

we yell away! grin cheesy
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 11, 2007
I thought Igbinovia was not even ranked in the top 1000.
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 5:44pm On Jun 11, 2007
i dnt even know which one
but he is our no 1 here
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 11, 2007
this our number one that cant even get wildcard entry to any ATP tour event.
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 6:10pm On Jun 11, 2007
There was one particular match then involving some dreadlocked dude from the DRC and Sunday Maku (a nigerian & #1 seed then), the dreadlocked dude was totally frustrated by the noise from the stands so much so that he turned towards 'em & was remonstrating --- a guy from the stand shouted back at him "comot there, u think sey na only u be dada ? Bob marley sef na dada o, where im dey now ?. grin
it was so chaotic there, yet hilarious and fun !

@viee, by the way what u saw on TV was no joke; that Guv'nor's cup is really massively well organized event & there are lots foreign players who participate, it's even recognized by the ATP --- can't remember when the last one was played but i know Nig. breweries sponsored it sha !
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 6:15pm On Jun 11, 2007
gotta rush & leave y'all now --- hopefully, there'll always be 2moro & the day after. nice hanging out with y'all !
y'all have nice night rest ! ciao wink
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 6:16pm On Jun 11, 2007
na nite Ruudie
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 10:25am On Jun 14, 2007
June 13, 2007 --- Nadal has no problem with grass at Artois

Rafael Nadal had a smooth transition in bringing his impressive game to grass.
The top seed from Spain, Nadal recorded a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina in the second round of the $910,000 Artois Championships on Wednesday.
Just three days removed from his four-set victory over world No. 1 Roger Federer for a third straight French Open title, Nadal made the switch from clay without much trouble.

The 21-year-old, who was one of eight players to receive a bye in the first round of this grasscourt event, dominated on his serve, winning 40 of the 46 points. Nadal improved to 3-0 against Del Potro in the all-time series.

"I'm happy," Nadal said. "Always a tough match, (my) first match on grass. After some games, I start returning so much better."
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 10:34am On Jun 14, 2007
Tennis pro sues vitamin maker over suspension, lost endorsements
June 12, 2007

Guillermo Coria, once the No. 3-ranked tennis player in the world, is suing a New Jersey supplement manufacturer, claiming its steroid-contaminated vitamins led to a positive drug test and a suspension that cost him millions.

In a trial set to begin Monday in New Jersey Superior Court in New Brunswick, N.J., Coria will seek to clear his name and will ask a jury to award him in excess of $10 million for lost prize money and endorsements, his lawyers said.

"Guillermo was suspended at the time when he was rising to the top of the world in tennis , when he was really most valuable," attorney Will Nystrom said Tuesday.

He said Coria was 19 when he was suspended in July 2001 after he had a positive urine test for steroids while playing at a tournament in Barcelona, Spain.

Nystrom said the only supplement Coria was taking then was a multivitamin made by Universal Nutrition of New Brunswick.

The Argentine player's family had the multivitamins tested by a lab, which found them to be contaminated with steroids. That led the governing authority for men's tennis, the Association of Tennis Professionals, to reduce his suspension from two years to the seven months that had already passed.

As a result of his suspension, his lawyer said Coria lost bonuses he could have earned based on his ranking and tournament performances under endorsement contracts he had with Prince, a maker of tennis rackets, and Adidas, the sneaker and apparel manufacturer.

Nystrom said Coria also missed out on endorsements from companies outside the sports world, including ones that pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to have tennis players wear patches with corporate logos on their shirts.

Coria, who is from Venado Tuerto, about 200 miles west of Buenos Aires, plans to attend the trial with his wife and parents. It should last about 10 days.
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by dinozzo(m): 11:55am On Jun 14, 2007
Hi people now that clay season is over we move over to grass. Nadal plays his third round match in the stella artois championship today. smiley
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 12:05pm On Jun 14, 2007
yep, so far so good for im !
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by viee(f): 2:46pm On Jun 14, 2007
Ruddie, so many sportsmen use banned substance and they are always quick to blame beverages
therefore, it is difficult to say who is actually cheating
but i feel that a professional that has dietitian and all that should be more careful
besides was the contents of the vitamin not written on the leaflet?
lets see what happens, the guy no doubt was young and cld hv risen well sad

i hvnt been following Nadals progress! embarassed
glad to know the chap is still doin well esp on grass
what of Federer?
hope dem don beat am or is he not participating? tongue
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jun 14, 2007
Federer is not playing any grass court matches prior to wimbledon.
Re: Talking Tennis: Roland Garros Kicks Off by RuuDie(m): 2:59pm On Jun 14, 2007
hey viee, long time - whassup ?

seems like Roger opted sit this open out for the Brit Open. Murray's not in it too and Hewitt's been knocked out by a li'l known qualifier !

as for the Coria, he just might have a case for imself; sometimes i think this dudes don't truely what's in the stuff they take & a whole lot of this manufacturers don't put out a full list of their ingredients on the label or declare it publicly!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Derby County Excuses Lampard From Training For Him To Speak With Chelsea / 1.50+ Odds Daily With Strict Money Management / Yakubu Scores Winner In Chinese Super League Debut

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.