Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,389 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City (52478 Views)

University Of Aberdeen In Scotland To Return 1897 Stolen Bronze To Nigeria / Germany To Return Benin Bronze Back To Nigeria / Christie Sells Nigerian Statues Of Igbo Deities That Were Looted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by ffo(m): 12:06pm On Dec 18, 2019
Even the white men believe in RESTITUTION but some funny Nigerians will tell you, it's all past
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by anonymous1759(m): 12:06pm On Dec 18, 2019
ColonelEmeka:

The grandson of a British soldier who took part in the looting of Benin City in the late 19th century is returning items his ancestor took in a move experts say opens up a debate about what could happen to the hundreds of items that are in private collections around the UK.

Mark Walker, the grandson of Capt Herbert Walker – a British soldier who was part of the 1897 punitive expedition to Benin City in southern Nigeria where thousands of items were looted – has loaned the objects to the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford, which will display them before they are returned to the royal court of Benin.

Dan Hicks, a professor of archaeology at the Pitt Rivers Museum and its representative on the Benin Dialogue Group, said they were was pioneering a new model for restitution.

“What we’re learning is that restitution can take many forms,” he said. “This seems to be something completely new that we’re doing, in that we are able to support the wishes of a private individual to restitute their own objects.”

The two wooden ceremonial paddles were brought back by Walker’s grandfather in 1897 and remained in his family. He became aware they were from Benin after seeing similar paddles on the Horniman Museum’s website. After Hicks got in touch about his grandfather’s journal he kept during the expedition they began work on restitution. There is no set date for their return but Hicks and the Pitt Rivers Museum will display the items next to its current Benin cabinet and work to repatriate them.

“This extreme example of violent looting in the 1890s in Nigeria is an iconic but also very little understood episode,” said Hicks. “As a society, we’re coming to terms with and starting to understand histories of empire that you’re not taught in school.”

Walker had previously returned two items to the Oba (ruler) of Benin in 2015, when he travelled to Nigeria and handed back two bronze pieces that his grandfather took in 1897. He said: “For me, the most important thing is that the descendants of one of the soldiers who was responsible for the sacking of Benin are making a gesture of respect for that people and its culture.”

The restitution comes after Jesus College at the University of Cambridge pledged to return a bronze cockerel taken by British colonial forces during the 1897 looting. The Okukor will be one of the first Benin bronzes to be returned to Nigeria by a major British institution. Sonita Alleyne, the master of Jesus College, said the decision was not taken to “erase history” but came after work that looked into the legacy of slavery at the institution

In November, Manchester Museum became the first UK institution to return ceremonial items to Aboriginal groups nearly a century after they were stolen by British forces. On Tuesday, France confirmed a timetable for the return of 26 objects to Benin. The French culture minister, Franck Riester said the items would be returned next year or at the beginning of 2021.

Hicks said that “without a doubt” there were “significant numbers” of other Benin items in private collections around the UK. The largest collection of Benin bronzes is held in the British Museum. But academics estimate there are thousands scattered around the world, with many remaining in Britain after soldiers returned with them and either kept or sold them.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/17/soldiers-grandson-to-return-items-looted-from-benin-city-nigeria

Damage control the British stole the most important thing from us.
(1) replacing our language with English.
(2) replacing our culture with theirs
(3)installing democracy on us.

All these they stole from us make Africans have complex till death. We're not satisfied until we measure our success with theirs . That's One of the reasons people Bleach their skin to White.

Without colonization Africa would have been Grate in her own way, all these copy copy is as a result of complex.

3 Likes

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by ibechris(m): 12:07pm On Dec 18, 2019
carterguccy:
Won’t it be better off there?? We have maintenance and continuity problem here in African as a whole. Keep them there and 100years from now it’s all gonna be fine like it is now kiss But Return it to Niaja and come back after just 6months grin grin spits

See how u de offend the gods...I just hope u won't be slapped by Benin/Edo gods.
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by almarthins(m): 12:08pm On Dec 18, 2019
ColonelEmeka:
British Thieves. they should also return all the monies they made off these items from the displays and people who came to view them at their museums all these years

lipsrsealed

The evil we re doing to this country is it nt more than what the british did to us. Trillions of naira are still missing till date, who get mind to ask dem where dey store am, even d one they recovered is being relooted by higher thieves
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by almarthins(m): 12:11pm On Dec 18, 2019
ibechris:

See how u de offend the gods...I just hope u won't be slapped by Benin/Edo gods.

Were d gods smoking pipes when d british invaded and carteaway all there items?

Abi dem too dey fear to die too? grin
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by Shopatcandice(f): 12:16pm On Dec 18, 2019
Those insulting him, ask yourself if one of us or more did not assist them in looting it in the first place. We always enjoy blaming others.
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by mamotalk: 12:22pm On Dec 18, 2019
But the main thing is that they can not give us back good government which they failed to install.
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by Obaiyski(m): 12:23pm On Dec 18, 2019
anonimi:

Do you call the Obas of Bini con men because they similarly (or even worse) exploited those they colonised in their kingdom before the Brits whittled down their power?
Reason am well o.
Why should we remain weak in thinking and mental exertions? Is that our portion or how?
I meant those exploiters are con men.. Not the Obas.. You know before all this happened those days, this people are already ahead of us.. They didn't come to teach us be knowledgeable like them, there are only using tricks to exploit us.. That's all.. That's why I called them con men
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by anonimi: 12:26pm On Dec 18, 2019
Obaiyski:
I meant those exploiters are con men.. Not the Obas.. You know before all this happened those days, this people are already ahead of us.. They didn't come to teach us be knowledgeable like them, there are only using tricks to exploit us.. That's all.. That's why I called them con men

So who will you call in Bini kingdom con men for exploiting those they also conquered and ruled over in their own kingdom?

1 Like

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by matrixme(m): 12:26pm On Dec 18, 2019
If I were the oba of Benin, I won't have them returned. Rather, I will propose to have royalty from proceeds from the sales of tickets to view those works at the museum forever. Then I will invite the oyinbo man and give him a traditional title in Benin for his honesty.

1 Like

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by anonimi: 12:30pm On Dec 18, 2019
anonymous1759:

All these they stole from us make Africans have complex till death. We're not satisfied until we measure our success with theirs . That's One of the reasons people Bleach their skin to White.

Without colonization Africa would have been Grate in her own way, all these copy copy is as a result of complex.

Please stop wailing already.
Britain left us almost 60 years ago. Do you see Asians wailing about colonisation as Africans do, instead of working to match, and if possible overtake the whites?
What will it take to make us get serious and stop whining like a baby that refuses to grow up?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6423790_africa2debt_jpeg668126b9bb169d38087fd57900dde379

www.nairaland.com/attachments/9487208_cdatausersdefappsappdatainternetexplorertempsavedimages924094592404737dc675ea9bcf402091103919683cdf20jpegjpeg00390c8ba03344ab494925a9e99b9d8cjpegjpegbc0cef5e093784866c1c690186882de8_jpeg3fa3b043637e93f0e7c527b380793d3a

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by Moniya4Real(m): 12:30pm On Dec 18, 2019
valentineuwakwe:
I pray they will not go and duplicate the items and return the fake ones to us.....fear these whitemen!
Lol, Bros you too sharp I beg.
God bless you for the indirect piece of advice for the original owners to look keenly at the returned artifact s
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by Obaiyski(m): 12:33pm On Dec 18, 2019
anonimi:

So who will you call in Bini kingdom con men for exploiting those they also conquered and ruled over in their own kingdom?
I think we are expressing our taughts here based on the this article.. Those that claimed they bring civilization to us is the con men.. They are not straight forward
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by anonimi: 12:35pm On Dec 18, 2019
matrixme:
If I were the oba of Benin, I won't have them returned. Rather, I will propose to have royalty from proceeds from the sales of tickets to view those works at the museum forever. Then I will invite the oyinbo man and give him a traditional title in Benin for his honesty.

You must think that the oyinbos are stewpid.
If they were stewpid, how did they conquer mighty Bini and its Oba with all their gragra juju? How have they held us in continuous mental captivity with their premier league clubs etc if they are not sharp guys?
Get wise bro.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6443847_img20171214wa0001_jpeg75c2959a2760aba4c45cf8e73decbe41

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by anonimi: 12:36pm On Dec 18, 2019
Obaiyski:
I think we are expressing our taughts here based on the this article.. Those that claimed they bring civilization to us is the con men.. They are not straight forward

The article is an entry point to the discussion, it is not a limiting boundary to it.

1 Like

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by donprinyo(m): 12:49pm On Dec 18, 2019
abeg make dem preserve them dere. when it comes into this country lack of maintenance culture will just rubbish the whole artifects
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by alphaNomega: 12:51pm On Dec 18, 2019
It has become junk ware, occupying precious space in their museums. Nothing Benin people go use that thing do so why not let them have it.
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by alphaNomega: 12:53pm On Dec 18, 2019
anonimi:

You must think that the oyinbos are stewpid.
If they were stewpid, how did they conquer mighty Bini and its Oba with all their gragra juju? How have they held us in continuous mental captivity with their premier league clubs etc if they are not sharp guys?
Get wise bro.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6443847_img20171214wa0001_jpeg75c2959a2760aba4c45cf8e73decbe41

You did not even mention the religion they forced down on us which we use to cause trouble among ourselves every single day.

Nonsense and ingredients

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by yunzy(m): 12:53pm On Dec 18, 2019
they should also return our traditions and our dignity and take back their money making organisation and this destruction called Christianity
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by MexManuel(m): 12:54pm On Dec 18, 2019
madridsta007:

A thief returning items he stole isnt doing a "pleasant gesture". Or is it because the thief is a white-skinned fellow?
It is the moral and right thing to do.

Do you think if it is the other way around, the white man wouldnt have sent troops to recover their stolen items?

The grandson returning stolen artifacts is not a thief.
I recommend you see Woman In Gold.
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by kiddkash(m): 12:56pm On Dec 18, 2019
ColonelEmeka:
British Thieves. they should also return all the monies they made off these items from the displays and people who came to view them at their museums all these years
and people say yahoo bad. this people do the worst yahoo.
them come my village pack better gold go their country in exchange for ordinary mirror
chai!
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by mr1759: 1:01pm On Dec 18, 2019
Edo my people the greatest and most hard working Africans, see what Edo did when they were called primitive now that civilization has come is no long possible to achieve such greatness

Edo the cradle of black civilization
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by Yujin(m): 1:03pm On Dec 18, 2019
madridsta007:

A thief returning items he stole isnt doing a "pleasant gesture". Or is it because the thief is a white-skinned fellow?
It is the moral and right thing to do.

Do you think if it is the other way around, the white man wouldnt have sent troops to recover their stolen items?
You don't call this a bad gesture despite the fact that what the British did to Benin was wicked. Even if he chose not to return them there's nothing you can do than lament. As at that time, conquest of lands were still happening and all the effects at that time remain permanent till date. It is a question of morality versus evolution. You don't have to call him a thief. It won't encourage others who could be inspired to do likewise by his gesture.
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by anonymous1759(m): 1:10pm On Dec 18, 2019
anonimi:

Please stop wailing already.
Britain left us almost 60 years ago. Do you see Asians wailing about colonisation as Africans do, instead of working to match, and if possible overtake the whites?
What will it take to make us get serious and stop whining like a baby that refuses to grow up?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6423790_africa2debt_jpeg668126b9bb169d38087fd57900dde379

www.nairaland.com/attachments/9487208_cdatausersdefappsappdatainternetexplorertempsavedimages924094592404737dc675ea9bcf402091103919683cdf20jpegjpeg00390c8ba03344ab494925a9e99b9d8cjpegjpegbc0cef5e093784866c1c690186882de8_jpeg3fa3b043637e93f0e7c527b380793d3a

Read and understand OK. I'm not wailing. People like you will always use the west to measure Africa's success. That's were the problem is.

The west will always look for a way to downplay any achievement made by any country that does not accept their culture.

China is still considered undeveloped because they've strict laws. They ban Christianity and Islam and refuse to replace their language that's one of their strength.

Gaddafi was labeled all sorts of names because he didn't dance to their tone. Is dictatorship style of Government not better for Libyans than the Democracy the west are Clamoring for today?

You can't compare the rate of theft in the villages to what we've in the city where we've police.

If you someone steals from you and you threaten the person with okija or police which do you think the person will fear the most?

Politicians are stealing today using the rule of law we copied as camouflage, if our laws are traditional do you think anyone will there steal?

Africa will never develop unless we go back to our roots and do things in our own way.

People like you will criticize PMB for the harsh Treatment is giving to the likes of Dasuki knowing fully well he actually stole all in the name of Rule of law.

If we impose dead penalty for looters some people will say it's Crude because it's not like that in the West.
As long as we keep doing this mumu democracy No hope for 9ja.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by Yujin(m): 1:12pm On Dec 18, 2019
anonymous1759:

You have a point but on a flip side, if it weren't for them, we might have been overrun by the Isalmic hordes from Arabia. The north Africa you see today was never peopled by those defendants of Arabs you see today. Most black people were kicked out of Egypt by force. Think again about the European invasion. It was bad though but not a bad as what we did and are still doing to ourselves.
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by Kellzmann01(m): 1:27pm On Dec 18, 2019
I think it's better-off there than bringing it back to Nigeria...
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by Rolex66: 1:46pm On Dec 18, 2019
gurunlocker:
Hope they won't make a replica??

Whereby they will send the replica and keep the original?

There's a scientific method known as carbon dating that is used to determine the age of artifacts. Not a challenge to identify a replica.
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by madridsta007(m): 1:46pm On Dec 18, 2019
MexManuel:

The grandson returning stolen artifacts is not a thief.
I recommend you see Woman In Gold.

He is returning the items his grandfather stole.
Agreed; the grand dad is the thief, he may not be one.

But it’s a stolen artefact.
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by abeggnow: 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2019
ColonelEmeka:
what people don't seem to realise is that all this countries we keep looking up to and calling when there is problems in ours are the once facilitating most of major Robles. E.g corruption and theft of our resources.

3 Likes

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by gbishman: 1:53pm On Dec 18, 2019
Young Man only now that you have decided to return that which was looted shall you have peace. Smart move
Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by cyrilamx(m): 1:58pm On Dec 18, 2019
carterguccy:
Won’t it be better off there?? We have maintenance and continuity problem here in African as a whole. Keep them there and 100years from now it’s all gonna be fine like it is now kiss But Return it to Niaja and come back after just 6months grin grin spits
This excuse of maintenance culture problem no longer holds water...Ask urself how the Benin Royalty ensured the safety and maintenance of these prized artefacts for hundreds of years before that looting spree by the British?? Remember the Festac Mask of Benin Queen Mother of Oba Esigie was carved in the 16th century and looted in the 19th century. So how did it survive that long? And since it passed into British hand it not up to 150years. Britain should also repatriate the monetary value it has garner since it was on display in the UK museum.

2 Likes

Re: Mark Walker To Return Looted Items From Benin City by Abagworo(m): 2:05pm On Dec 18, 2019
The Okukor will be one of the first Benin bronzes to be returned to Nigeria by a major British institution. Sonita Alleyne, the master of Jesus College, said the decision was not taken to “erase history” but came after work that looked into the legacy of slavery at the institution

Is chicken also known as "Okukor" in Bini?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken / Music, Dance: What Gave Fulani Youths Joy In The Past (Video, Pictures) / Nigerian Hairstyles In Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.