Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,192 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Starting A Social Media Platform - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Starting A Social Media Platform (633 Views)

6 Trusted Social Media Platform That Will Help To Grow Your Business / Things To Know Before Starting A Blog / Starting A Blog? 7 Hidden Secrets You Must Be Wary Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Starting A Social Media Platform by herbdul94: 12:36pm On Dec 18, 2019
I am looking at building an incredible app that solves a lot of issues in one place, just like we have the Opay app, in it, you have Oride, Ocar, Owallet, and many other features.

One way or the other you sure find yourself coming to the Opay app to use one of the features because it solves on daily hassle or difficulty you face on a daily basis.

So in a bid to actually gather information as regards how to build and most importantly get my proposed app to my targeted audience, I came across this article by Seun Osewa (Owner Nairaland) on is http://www.seunosewa.com/ . Therein are so many interesting articles but this "The Social Network Chicken And Egg Problem" caught my attention.

The article goes thus :
I got this interesting question in my inbox recently:
Hey Seun,
You don't know me. I'm just a fan of yours. I'd like to know how you solved the "chicken and egg" problem and succeed with nairaland. Networks like nairaland, fb, twitter are only valuable when there's a community on it. Therefore nobody wants to join, unless there are already a bunch of users. So how did you gain traction?

So, you want to start a poultry farm. You need eggs to make chickens, but you need chickens to lay eggs, so what do you do? How do you solve this problem? Simple:

Buy lots of chickens. The chickens will lay eggs, which will develop into new chickens.
Buy a lot of fertilized eggs and incubate them. They will develop into egg-laying chickens.
To get a social network going, you just have to bribe or beg people to join your social network until it's big enough to sustain itself. If you're evil, forcing or tricking them to join also works:

In 'The Social Network' Mark Zuckerberg bootstrapped a social network by hacking into student records and creating accounts for students without their consent, effectively forcing them to join.
Some dating sites solve the chicken and egg problem by paying a bunch of beautiful female models to join the site and participate. The models attract a lot of men to join the site (a form of trickery really), and this attracts more women.
With Twitter and Quora, employees of the company were the first to start using the sites heavily, then their friends and family, then attention seekers, geeks and celebrities, and finally regular people. In effect, Twitter and Quora employees were initially paid not just to develop the respective sites but to use them and post on them regularly.
Until your social network takes off, you'll just have to bribe or beg people to join and participate. I did that.

Wow! Mind-blowing isn't it? I am not forgetting this article, its actually a practice anyone starting a new online/social media platform of any should get familiar with.

I would share my new idea soon. You can get in touch with me via my Linkedin profile or my online portfolio lekan.com.ng
Re: Starting A Social Media Platform by rexking19(m): 12:41pm On Dec 18, 2019
Hmnn...quite intresting i hope its profitable wld like to patner too..al d best..!

(1) (Reply)

Google Adsense With 47$ For Sale, Give Away Pric / Mobile App /enterprise Software Development At An Affordable Rate / sdvbg fgb bfg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.