Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,506 members, 7,819,834 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:03 AM

George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South (8958 Views)

Rice Vessels Set To Berth At Nigerian Seaports As 57000 MT Of Corn Floods Lagos / Peter Obi: We Will Decongest Lagos Seaport And Move To Other Seaports / FG Approves Two New Seaports In South-South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by NwekeUG(m): 12:27am On Dec 19, 2019
The Senate on Wednesday appealed to the federal government to consider developing the seaports in the South South.

The Senate pointed out that non utilisation of the seaports was the major reason for congestion in Lagos Seaport.This came as it lauded the efforts of the Nigerian Navy to collaborate with private security suppliers in the country’s maritime domain.

The Chairman,Senate Committee on Navy, George Sekibo,who spoke when he led members of the committee on oversight function to the service at its headquarters in Abuja, insisted that it had become necessary for government to utilise other ports in the country with a view to freeing the Lagos Seaport of congestion.

He said that the development had caused untold hardship to owners of goods he noted,usually find it difficult to get their goods out of the area.

The committee also appealed to the Nigerian Navy to provide effective security in Calabar,Warri and others.

Sekibo,who also regretted the recent kidnap of some persons onboard a ship cargo ship in the country, tasked the Nigerian Navy to redouble its security efforts in the country’s waters even as he noted that the service was doing alot in that regard in spite of the meager resources at its disposal.

He said the committee decided to come for the oversight function to the naval headquarters” to enable us stand for you on the floor of the Senate whenever issues concerning the Nigerian Navy comes upon.”

The commmittee, according to Senator Sekibo,lauded the efforts of the Nigerian Navy on its collaboration with private security suppliers, saying the,”Collaboration with private maritime logistics becomes imperative.”

He said:”You will all recall that among all the ports in Nigeria, Lagos Port seems to be a little bit free of attack,piracy and so on. But other ports in the South South,including the one in Calabar,the one in Port-Harcourt and the one in Warri are not being effectively utilised thereby sending vessel owners to Lagos Port, thus causing congestion there.

“Often times, owners of goods don’t get their goods as and when they are supposed to because of the congestion there.

“We believe that if the security programmes you do in the Lagos Seaport is also transferred to other seaports in the country, it will enhance businesses in the country.”

The committee commended the Nigerian Navy for its security efforts which it said ” have reduced piracy, kidnapping and crude oil theft in the country.”

Regretting that allocation to the service was grossly inadequate, he promised that the Senate would work for increment of the Nigerian Navy budget in the 2021 budget.

“We will ensure more funds are allocated to the Nigerian Navy in subsequent budget.

“Even though you may not have the best to work with,we believe that you are doing your best,” he added.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/12/senate-seeks-development-of-seaports-in-s-south/amp/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by saintjimos(m): 12:29am On Dec 19, 2019
in the next 4years it won't happen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by voltron14: 12:33am On Dec 19, 2019
Are you unaware of the persistent hijacking of sea-going vessels on that axis?

4 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by Yankee101: 12:37am On Dec 19, 2019
Ordinary airport they keep shutting it down. I don't think they'll want to. That'll be the decline of lagos

11 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by Blue3k(m): 12:42am On Dec 19, 2019
voltron14:
Are you unaware of the persistent hijacking of sea-going vessels on that axis?

Regretting that allocation to the service was grossly inadequate, he promised that the Senate would work for increment of the Nigerian Navy budget in the 2021 budget.

What's the navy doing about? Major General Buhari shouldn't be helpless in the face of piracy. NASS reallocate security vote money towards the navy since there's funding issues. Transparency International already exposed the corruption in that area.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by darkwan: 12:43am On Dec 19, 2019
wait wait....

so goverment only should build all this stuff....??
you nigerians no gbadun atall....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by voltron14: 12:46am On Dec 19, 2019
Blue3k:

What's the navy doing about? Major General Buhari shouldn't be helpless in the face of piracy.

When they run operations Shark attack you would be the first to be alerting World Court, FIFA and even RSPCA.

By the way, their activities go beyond our waters.

8 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by darkwan: 12:48am On Dec 19, 2019
build this,build that....??
how you wan finance all this with your reserves depletin....??

fee dee fee realy fvcked up....
nigerian tradition was to keep for rainy days....

obansanjo kept the tradition....
after obansanjo left,the tradition was abandoned....!!

apc doesnt have to go through all this if the nigerian tradition was kept....!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by Blue3k(m): 12:53am On Dec 19, 2019
voltron14:

When they run operations Shark attack you would be the first to be alerting World Court, FIFA and even RSPCA.

By the way, their activities go beyond our waters.

Lol you're making strawman arguements because you have no counterargument. It's shows you're just an excuse maker. The secruity vote money offers plenty of funding for the navy. Nobody is saying Nigeria needs to form a blue water navy we just need adequate green water navy.

Our exclusive economic zone goes 200 nautical miles if I recall. Anything beyond that is International waters anyway.

10 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by darkwan: 12:54am On Dec 19, 2019
am i lying....??
save for rainy days....!!

that was our tradition....
after obansanjo left,that tradition went lost....

1 Like

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by darkwan: 12:57am On Dec 19, 2019
Blue3k:

Lol you're making strawman arguements you have no counterargument. It's shows you're just an excuse maker. The secruity vote money offers plenty of funding for the navy. Nobody is saying Nigeria needs to form a blue water navy we just need adequate green water navy.

Our economic zone goes 250 nautical miles if I recall. Anything beyond that is International waters anyway.

and you care about International waters....??
they are fishin you finish and you are talkin about International waters....!!

dont let me start abusin you here....!!

3 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by Blue3k(m): 1:01am On Dec 19, 2019
darkwan:

and you care about International waters....??
they are fishin you finish and you are talkin about International waters....!!

dont let me start abusin you here....!!

Your comments are unusually dumb. Did I say we need to patrol International waters? I said we need competent green water Navy. Enlighten yourself dark.

10 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by darkwan: 1:03am On Dec 19, 2019
Blue3k:

Your comments are unusually dumb. Did I say we need to patrol International waters? I said we need competent green water Navy. Enlighten yourself dark.

you just say before we should keep off,now you say we should patrol....??
now you call me dumb too....??

no thank you,i dont want your light,your light is stvpid....

i rather stay dark,thank you....

5 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by Freestainworld(m): 1:12am On Dec 19, 2019
deaf and dumb president, just like an idle with eye but cannot see, with ear but can't hear, that is how our present president and his administration is.

1 Like

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by Blue3k(m): 1:15am On Dec 19, 2019
darkwan:

you just say before we should keep off,now you say we should patrol....??
now you call me dumb too....??

Why do you have trouble understanding simple concepts? I said we should have competent green nsvy to protect maritime waters. The sevond paragraph stated two facts. 200 nautical miles is Nigeria exclusive economic zone. Anything beyond that is International waters.

Piracy incidents occur pretty close to the coast anyway. Go read IMB reports on that. Do you need any futher explanation?

5 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by darkwan: 1:17am On Dec 19, 2019
Freestainworld:
deaf and dumb president, just like an idle with eye but cannot see, with ear but can't hear, that is how our present president and his administration is.

what do you await...??
catch up with what in your pocket exactly....??

nigeria is not dubai....

1 Like

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by darkwan: 1:20am On Dec 19, 2019
Blue3k:

no wahala joor....
you are amongst those i have few wahala with....

lets contemplate,bros....

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by darkwan: 1:25am On Dec 19, 2019
Blue3k:

Why do you have trouble understanding simple concepts? I said we should have competent green nsvy to protect maritime waters. The sevond paragraph stated two facts. 200 nautical miles is Nigeria exclusive economic zone. Anything beyond that is International waters.

Piracy incidents occur pretty close to the coast anyway. Go read IMB reports on that. Do you need any futher explanation?

you talk too much....you are giving me a headache....

defend the waters or not....!!!!

1 Like

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by Blue3k(m): 1:30am On Dec 19, 2019
darkwan:

you talk too much....you are giving me a headache....

defend the waters or not....!!!!

Lol your questions are dumb. I think you seriously have undiagnosed mental illness. Yes the navy defends the Nigeria's waters (maritime domain). How far out they go depends.

6 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by darkwan: 1:32am On Dec 19, 2019
Blue3k:

Lol your questions are dumb. I think you seriously have undiagnosed mental illness. Yes the navy defends the Nigeria's waters (maritime domain).

call me what you want....its a democracy anyways....
soo,your opinion against mine....

no wahala....
Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by ufotty2001: 5:54am On Dec 19, 2019
That will be the end of Lagos State..

2 Likes

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by skkslar: 6:04am On Dec 19, 2019
Very germane idea

Meanwhile solar alternative is a better deal than generator

Call us for any enquiries
Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by damijoe77: 6:08am On Dec 19, 2019
That would be the beginning of a more dangerous south south

1 Like

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by Chicastle: 6:09am On Dec 19, 2019
They won't. That their jagabam in Lagos is the one blocking it. because once they do, Lagos bye bye

1 Like

Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by helinues: 6:25am On Dec 19, 2019
SS people are just waking up

Not too late sha
Re: George Sekibo Urges FG To Develop Seaports In South-South by medexico(m): 6:30am On Dec 19, 2019
This is something that should be obvious to do. No need for appealing!
Chai!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osinbajo: Call For Secession, Fastest Way To Extinction / YORUBA HONOUR OR NOTHING ELSE. How Much Does It Cost To Run For Office. / Revenue Formula: Governors To Demand 42% Of Federal Allocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.