Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York (2050 Views)

See What This Funke Oyinbo, Ukrainian Said About Nigeria / Nigerian Man With Valid US Visa Arrested At JFK Airport In New York / Nigerian Dies At JFK Airport In New York (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by Cmeo(m): 8:41am On Nov 29, 2010
I am in USA for a self sponsored short course of about 3 weeks. Of course, I am a first time traveler out of Nigeria. Although, my final destination was Washington DC but I had to go to New York because its too cost to fly directly to Washington DC.

However at terminal one of the airport as I exit the airport, a white man came to me and said Taxi. I said yes but I need a yellow taxi (because someone told me at the airport that they are cheaper). He said no problem but on getting to his cab, it wasnt a yellow cab. I told him I want to get a train going to Washington DC and I want a yellow cab. He said its same cab and same price of $45. I told him I want something cheaper. He sweared I cant get anything cheaper than that.

He drove and drove to Penn NY write something on a paper almost every 25 Seconds. I gave him $50 hoping to give me $5 change. But he said my bill was $249. I gave him 4 pcs of $50 but I dont know how he managed to change 3 pcs to $20. I couldnt argue becos it was dark, late and I am very new to this US transportation system because its my first time of traveling out of Nigeria. I remember he covered his plate # as I was dropping off. I didnt believe nor have it mind sure thing could be done by a white (suspected American) man . I later learnt he did tricks on me as I was short of about $329. He charged so much, took $150 from me for $60 (took a total of $329) out of the total $700 I had on me. He scammed me and I am very short of fund now as I have just $100 on me on my first day of arrival after paying for a night at a hotel in Washington DC (out of 3 weeks I am going to spend).

I never believed this could happen to me in United States but now I am fraustrated and have learnt never to trust anyone on earth.
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by MOG2009: 12:14am On Dec 01, 2010
@ Poster,
I sympathize with you.
You are not the first or the last to experience such scam. I had a similar experience on my first visit to NYC / US   and I was scammed by this non yellow cab driver @JFK for  $150+40 (tax)=$190! The Spanish Guy took me from JFK to Port Authority terminal.
I think this trend happens to new visitors or tourists that have no friends nor families to pick them at the Airport. Each time, me and my friends with similar  experience recall this events, we laughed about it. Afterwards, we tagged it, "Welcome to New York City"!

If the vehicle was a "yellow car", then you can  make a complaint about the driver for over charge@ NYC Yellow cab & Limousine website,http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/home/home.shtml

However, you can try to contact the New York Port Authority Police for more information.
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by oyewolejos(m): 3:55am On Dec 01, 2010
Welcome to America Land of the free, Home of the brave grin grin grin grin
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by justwonder: 4:10pm On Dec 01, 2010
ouch,yeah there is no place like new york.Now if only you had asked at the info desk for your options,you would have found that you cud get to your destination using air train for about $7 tops.Please as a jjc always ask questions to the approraite ppl.Nothing is what it seems in america!

shocked embarassed cry grin
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 01, 2010
@poster
you thought there were scammers only in 9ja?! such people are everywhere and, coming from 9ja, you should have been wiser!

so many wrongs in your post but what i dont get is :"why did you even pay the money he asked?!" he told you it was going to be $45 so hand over $45. if he argues, tell him to bring you back to where he picked you up as you have no more money, et voila! if push come to shove, you should have told him to call the cops!

happened to me once, the old "switch the note" trick. i shouted so loud like a madman that the driver got scared and the original money appeared miraculously!

1 Like

Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by zubeyr(m): 7:01pm On Dec 01, 2010
@ poster sorry for your experience the guy was just a crook he shouldn't charge you more than 45 us $ plus the toll next time try to avoid those black cars sitting at Jfk they are not regulated and most  are crooks in NY city always opt for yellow cab it is more secure and make sure you always ask for receipt in case  you forget your stuff that way is easier to truck the driver good luck next time
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by JeSoul(f): 8:32pm On Dec 01, 2010
Cmeo,

as much as I hate to say this (cos you suffered a tough break) it was really your fault you got scammed. Before travelling you should've done your research online or checked with the airport info desk and followed that plan strictly. In every airport are these criminals and will target unsuspecting or unprepared travellers.

In Paris earlier this year as we were walking out one black dude approached us and said the same "Taxi?" we said yes, how much? he told us 100 euros. He quickly asked where we were from and proceeded to "chat us up" nicely so we'd relax and see him as a friendly face. He even helped with our luggage as we walked out. We asked him how much the bus was, he said it was the same price for 2 ppl and insisted we could get no cheaper for where we were going. We told him to wait inside and we would be back. We went and asked around at the info desk.

Long story short, he was a big fat liar. We found a shuttle bus for 25 euros that dropped us off 2 blocks from our hotel. Criminals are everywhere - you must shine your eye ppl!
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by omega25red(m): 8:59pm On Dec 01, 2010
grin grin grin grin i sympathize but i can't help but laugh. you sound like my father who first came to the u.s in 1982 for a week and left on the 3rd day because he hated it lol

Next time never get into a stranger's car and make sure you get a yellow taxi or at least make sure they have a madellion number that way if any funny business goes on you can report them and get your money back. You probably just entered some gypsy cab and he knew you had no idea and took advantage of you this happens more often than you think.
That guy will you that money to buy the alcohol that will get him busted for drunk driving dont worry
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 01, 2010
the funny part is:"why would people (like the poster) do in NY what they would never dream of doing in 9ja?
or do they actually believe that there is not crooks/thief/scammer in NY?
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by Rare(m): 5:42am On Dec 02, 2010
You wonder what people use the internet for ?. The poster could have handled it better armed with discrete information.
Worse off, is the impression he'll relay to other first-time travellers back home.
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by DisGuy: 7:10am On Dec 02, 2010
JeSoul:

Cmeo,

as much as I hate to say this (cos you suffered a tough break) it was really your fault you got scammed. Before travelling you should've done your research online or checked with the airport info desk and followed that plan strictly. In every airport are these criminals and will target unsuspecting or unprepared travellers.

You'd be amazed!!

I was reading one poster's experience about Norway or one other Scandinavian country, apparently he went for company training, he couldn't attend all the lectures cos it was extremely cold especially not being prepared and he wondered how people survived there  undecided
I just wonder what sort of company employ him cos I will fire his backside for being dumb!

Modified18:43
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by DisGuy: 7:12am On Dec 02, 2010
C me O, Sorry Hope you are coping well

make sure you get in contact with your people back home
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by megastu(m): 3:58pm On Dec 02, 2010
Sorry about your experience. Next time, at JFK, just use the bus TO Port Authority. It is cheaper and saves you stress. Also, whenever you get to a strange place, never behave like a stranger. Infact be bouncing with you load like you have come back home. When the conductor asked me for a tip. I refused and started speaking like a jamaican. It was later i realised that the tip was supposed to be actually given.
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by JeSoul(f): 6:00pm On Dec 02, 2010
megastu:

Sorry about your experience. Next time, at JFK, just use the bus TO Port Authority. It is cheaper and saves you stress. Also, whenever you get to a strange place, never behave like a stranger. Infact be bouncing with you load like you have come back home. When the conductor asked me for a tip. I refused and started speaking like a jamaican. It was later i realised that the tip was supposed to be actually given.
grin grin Korrect Naija boy grin grin

Dis Guy:

You'd be amazed!!

I was reading one poster's experience about Norway or one other Scandinavian country, apparently he went for company training, he could attend all the lectures cos it was extremely cold especially not being prepared and he wondered how people survived there undecided
I just wonder what sort of company employ him cos I will fire his backside for being dumb!
LOL grin Its like going to Alaska and being suprised its cold and frozen everywhere.
Re: What Oyinbo Man Did To Me At Jfk Airport New York by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 03, 2010
Dis Guy:

You'd be amazed!!
I was reading one poster's experience about Norway or one other Scandinavian country, apparently he went for company training, he couldn't attend all the lectures cos it was extremely cold especially not being prepared and he wondered how people survived there  undecided

Modified18:43

oh bro, this one na small thing. . . . . . . . . . . . . . at least, he learned his lesson unlike some fools out there!
i know some poor African dude who went to Norway. the cold was dead freezing but he was walking around with small shirt and his chest all out, talking about:¨i´m an African, this cold cant get to me!!!!!¨
the poor fellow died few weeks later of pneumonia.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

South Africa Through The Eyes Of A First-time Visitor - Daily Trust / How Much Is Return Ticket From Lagos To New Delhi? / Information Of How To Get Invitation Letter And Visa To Any Foreign Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.