Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,840 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Creating A Picture Datatype Field - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating A Picture Datatype Field (934 Views)

Creating A Group Chat With Html/javascript/php/mysql For Beginners / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / Creating A New Face For Nl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating A Picture Datatype Field by Lexy01(m): 5:41pm On May 26, 2007
Please what datatype do i use to create a picture field in my database using microsoft Access
Re: Creating A Picture Datatype Field by sbucareer(f): 6:22pm On May 26, 2007

Use BLOB (Binary Large Object) is an Oracle datatype that can hold up to 4 GB of data. Also see CLOB. BLOB's are handy for storing digitized information (eg, images, audio, video)

You can use CLOB (Character Large Object) is an Oracle datatype that can hold up to 4 GB of data.

They are both universal datatype, both would work with MS DB
Re: Creating A Picture Datatype Field by Fdeveloper(m): 6:43pm On May 26, 2007
Specifically for Microsoft Access, you would use an "OLE Object" type which can be used to store various types of binary data.  Check out the following link for an example:  http://www.learnaccessnow.com/chap17b.html

Following on from sbucareer's tip, you may wish to consider migrating to Oracle if possible as it gives you a lot more functionality and better performance than Access.
Re: Creating A Picture Datatype Field by IG: 6:24pm On May 27, 2007
Yeah BLOB is the data type you need. And it's not specific to Oracle database only. Any mature Database Management System must have a blob type.

By the way, you didn't tell us which database management system you are using.

As Fdeveloper said, you may need to leave access, if that's what you are using.
You may also consider Firebird(http://firebirdsql.org) as it has an embedded version that gives you the compactness of small databases like access and Sqlite and also the power of big server databases like Oracle and MSSQL plus it takes only 1.44Mb of hard disk space and can be bundled and deployed with your application.
Re: Creating A Picture Datatype Field by Moriki(m): 4:51pm On May 28, 2007
Yeah i believe u IG.
Cos i have tried it, tested it , evaluated it and given my trust to it!
Try it Lexy01 and you will not regret!

(1) (Reply)

Is The Any Way To Understanding Oop Fast / Ajax Guru's In The House / Nigerian Geeks Really Need To Come Together And Do Something!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.