Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! (883 Views)

Switching From Account To Tech / Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering / Transfer To Medicine In Nigeria. Advise Or Influence Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by Kingpire(m): 10:38am On Dec 20, 2019
Pls I need your advise. I hold a Bsc in psychology from a Nigerian university and now I'm set to take change of career in studying Medicine and Surgery in the US at my current age 31 years. This implies that by the time I'll be done then I'll almost be 40 years of age.

I was never a science student so this entails that I'll have to start from the foundation class so I could take physics, chemistry and biology and then write their foundation exam before been enrolled for the MBBS. This program will be self sponsored as I'll be enrolling for night classes and use the day time to work.

Is this achievable ? Is it worth it considering my age ? Has anyone here had this experience or know someone who has treaded this path before ? Is there a better way I can have this done or any higher institution in the US you could recommend ?

Pls I'm keen in hearing your experience and advice. Thanks
Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by opera1(m): 10:59am On Dec 20, 2019
Very much alive
Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by lebron7(m): 11:08am On Dec 20, 2019
Please how is the Psychology career path
I'm a student pls
Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by mohd001: 5:03pm On Dec 20, 2019
i beg face the reality in naija, u r too old for this race. becoming a medical doctor doesnt justified being rich, that is to said, go to the street and hustle. many nigerians within the age bracket of 20-25 are already making millions through hustling......

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 20, 2019
It's a nice career but considering your age, US can't offer you foundation course and likewise UK but they can offer you year 1 if apparently you graduated from Medical Science/Clinical course.

Secondly as per working and schooling, I'm not sure you can balance it & make the kind of money to foot the bill because average uni in US charges as high as $26,000 for tuition fees, maintenance and books money are not among

My advice is that it's a good decision to switch career but will advice you to also switch country

1 Like

Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by Kingpire(m): 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2019
Thanks for your advice...

1 Like

Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by BarristerAlarig: 9:32pm On Dec 20, 2019
I was tempted to just view without commenting.

As an adult, you still think like a child!

Do you know what studying Medicine in the US entails? Do you know what MD or DO awarding schools are?? US schools do not award MBBS!

Do you know the prerequisites you'd have to complete?? Which one is biology?? Oga, you need to take Classes in Anatomy, biochemistry, Organic chemistry etc

How easy do you think getting into medical school is?? And as a foreigner??

How "cheap" do you think US medical schools are?? Attending a medical program in the US cost at lest $400,000!!! Do you have that money??

And night classes in the US for medicineAre you for real??

To think you didn't carry out any research but choose to run to nairaland says alot about you.

You are not intelligent at all.
Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by ezimo777(m): 4:50am On Dec 21, 2019
BarristerAlarig:

Do you know what studying Medicine in the US entails? Do you know what MD or DO awarding schools are?? US schools do not award MBBS!

Do you know the prerequisites you'd have to complete?? Which one is biology?? Oga, you need to take Classes in Anatomy, biochemistry, Organic chemistry etc

How "cheap" do you think US medical schools are?? Attending a medical program in the US cost at lest $400,000!!! Do you have that money??

To think you didn't carry out any research but choose to run to nairaland says alot about you.

You may be speaking the truth but your last statement is derogatory and just too direct....

I'll advice OP that there's absolutely nothing in reality existing as impossible....
OP, I really don't know much about MBBS in the US but here in Nigeria, you can achieve the degree including the predegree studies to bring you to terms with science related subjects (chemistry, biology and physics) all in 9years without strikes and if you can get the admission once you're done with the predegree classes...

If u can also afford private university in Nigeria and be diligent to studies, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE...

Personal view pls...
A medical student at the University of Jos, Nigeria...
Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by Kingpire(m): 7:51am On Dec 21, 2019
Thank you. You said your mind
BarristerAlarig:

Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by Kingpire(m): 7:55am On Dec 21, 2019
ezimo777:

You may be speaking the truth but your last statement is derogatory and just too direct....

I'll advice OP that there's absolutely nothing in reality existing as impossible....
OP, I really don't know much about MBBS in the US but here in Nigeria, you can achieve the degree including the predegree studies to bring you to terms with science related subjects (chemistry, biology and physics) all in 9years without strikes and if you can get the admission once you're done with the predegree classes...

If u can also afford private university in Nigeria and be diligent to studies, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE...

Personal view pls...
Thanks a lot

1 Like

Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by TIGER1001: 8:16am On Dec 21, 2019
you nailed it all. us med school is 1% acceptance for intl students. uk too is capped(graduate entry),only about 5 schools. I tell you is a very rigorous road, except you are a PR holder. My kid sister is plying that UK route as an intl student. the cheapest tuition for us med school as intl student is $50,000;cost of attendance is something around $70,000.most schools that even accept tell you to pay the money in an escrow account for 4yrs. To be honest, you can hardly do students jobs.you need to have a top notch profile that beat so many international students with cgpa ranging 3.85/4 to 4/4.you can do research on student doctor network, also AAMC. to see what it entails. they make it rigorous because there is a capped number for residency positions. it also depends on the school you attend too. you get that do odds are against you as intl student.you need to do a postbacc, before applying to med school. you can read up. i go on on and on
BarristerAlarig:

1 Like

Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by TIGER1001: 8:28am On Dec 21, 2019
TIGER1001:
you nailed it all. US med school is 1% acceptance for intl students. UK too is capped(graduate entry),only about 5 schools,she has a first class in biomedical science in UK(4.9/5cgpa), british heart foundation sponsored her phd in cardiovascular science.,she bagged her phd at 24.she did alot of volunteering, president of renowned volunteering groups, governing board member represented her school at various capacities at bsc and phd level.she was on ground to attend interviews I tell you is a very rigorous road, except you are a PR holder. My kid sister is plying that UK route as an intl student. the cheapest tuition for us med school as intl student is $50,000;cost of attendance is something around $70,000.most schools that even accept tell you to pay the money in an escrow account for 4yrs. To be honest, you can hardly do students jobs.you need to have a top notch profile that beat so many international students with cgpa ranging 3.85/4 to 4/4.you can do research on student doctor network, also AAMC. to see what it entails. they make it rigorous because there is a capped number for residency positions. it also depends on the school you attend too. you get that do odds are against you as intl student.you need to do a postbacc, before applying to med school. you can read up. i go on on and on
Re: Pls Help ! Switching From Psychology To Medicine And Surgery At 31 Years !! by BarristerAlarig: 11:13am On Dec 21, 2019
ezimo777:

Personal view pls...

It may be derogatory but it's the truth. OP did 0 research but was quick to run to nairaland. Even US students find it very difficult going to medical schools in the US! Most are in the Caribbean.

I maintain my stance. OP isn't intelligent.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tips On Uba Chat / Hp Nigeria Limited Interview(urgent) / I Need A Job.(transmission/fiber/facility)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.