Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,542 members, 7,816,322 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! (1073 Views)

Nkem Okeke Who Transferred From Anatomy To Pharmacy To Medicine Graduates / Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can SLT Student Do Direct Entry To Medicine & Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Kingpire(m): 11:47am On Dec 20, 2019
Pls I need your advise. I hold a Bsc in psychology from a Nigerian university and now I'm set to take change of career in studying Medicine and Surgery in the US at my current age 31 years. This implies that by the time I'll be done then I'll almost be 40 years of age.

I was never a science student so this entails that I'll have to start from the foundation class so I could take physics, chemistry and biology and then write their foundation exam before been enrolled for the MBBS. This program will be self sponsored as I'll be enrolling for night classes and use the day time to work.

Is this achievable ? Is it worth it considering my age ? Has anyone here had this experience or know someone who has treaded this path before ? Is there a better way I can have this done or any higher institution in the US you could recommend ?

Pls I'm keen in hearing your experience and advice. Thanks
Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by dawnomike(m): 11:56am On Dec 20, 2019
If that is your ambition... Pursue it dutifully. Your sense of fulfilment is all that matters here
I wish you all the best

2 Likes

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 20, 2019
Make sure you have enough money, and take note of fraudsters and 419

1 Like

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Bobcygan: 12:31pm On Dec 20, 2019
Even in Nigeria I ll tell u to follow it, but then u r talking about United States, u av to overfollow sef. But then if ur interest is money not career I ll advice u switch to dentistry cos u ll make more money in US than an average medical doctor

1 Like

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Kingpire(m): 12:40pm On Dec 20, 2019
Thanks for your advice. I am opened for more...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 20, 2019
Bobcygan:
Even in Nigeria I ll tell u to follow it, but then u r talking about United States, u av to overfollow sef. But then if ur interest is money not career I ll advice u switch to dentistry cos u ll make more money in US than an average medical doctor
Lie, Medical Doctors are more employable Dentists, meanwhile as a medical doctor, you can also take an 8 month course to be a dentist, but a dentist can't specialize outside his field. Counting the department under MBBS, they are more than 15, but dentistry is just dental radiology, dental surgery etc less than 6 departments

1 Like

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Kingpire(m): 12:43pm On Dec 20, 2019
Thanks for your input. I am opened for more
Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Cardiojosh(m): 2:09pm On Dec 20, 2019
Snowale:
Lie, Medical Doctors are more employable Dentists, meanwhile as a medical doctor, you can also take an 8 month course to be a dentist, but a dentist can't specialize outside his field. Counting the department under MBBS, they are more than 15, but dentistry is just dental radiology, dental surgery etc less than 6 departments
reverse is the case sir a dentist can take an 18 months course to be a medical doctor...for a doctor it requires 3years.. thank you

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Bobcygan: 3:56pm On Dec 20, 2019
Snowale, you still need orientation, I m a medical doctor practicing in nigeria but I wish I had studied dentistry cos d financial gain is more believe me. They hardly do call unless in oral and maxillofacial Surgery yet they get call allowance, u can open your own private practice with a small shop and still make your money. Real estate owners abroad are happy when they heard is dentist dt is going to rent or buy d house. Most of there treatment are not covered by insurance, even in Nigeria u know dt already. Let's get our fact straight. If my brother is looking for money he should do dentistry. If he is looking for work he should do medicine

1 Like

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Kingpire(m): 4:49pm On Dec 20, 2019
Thank you very much for your insight.
Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Kirinwa: 7:59pm On Dec 20, 2019
Kingpire:
Thank you very much for your insight.

Medical doctors have more prestige and respect than dentists.

Besides why are you dropping psychology for medicine which is unrelated?
Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by edoairways: 8:35pm On Dec 20, 2019
Kirinwa:

Medical doctors have more prestige and respect than dentists.

Besides why are you dropping psychology for medicine which is unrelated?
I saw somewhere where a lady dropped law for medicine. If a medical doctor could be chartered accountant in Nigeria then nothing is impossible

1 Like

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Onlinebar: 10:15pm On Dec 20, 2019
Kingpire:
Pls I need your advise. I hold a Bsc in psychology from a Nigerian university and now I'm set to take change of career in studying Medicine and Surgery in the US at my current age 31 years. This implies that by the time I'll be done then I'll almost be 40 years of age.

I was never a science student so this entails that I'll have to start from the foundation class so I could take physics, chemistry and biology and then write their foundation exam before been enrolled for the MBBS. This program will be self sponsored as I'll be enrolling for night classes and use the day time to work.

Is this achievable ? Is it worth it considering my age ? Has anyone here had this experience or know someone who has treaded this path before ? Is there a better way I can have this done or any higher institution in the US you could recommend ?

Pls I'm keen in hearing your experience and advice. Thanks
please go all out for it.

1 Like

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by arinzos(m): 9:29am On Dec 21, 2019
Snowale:
I don't Know if it is Deliberate but i wonder how we Come online to Say things that we are not Sure. How Many courses are Dentistry not Offering in Medicine. 18 Months will Allow you to Switch from Dentistry to Medicine while 3 Years Training will Allow you to Switch from Medicine to Dentistry.
Dentist are Also Doctors,They Command the Same Respect as Doctors. So the Comparison is Uncalled for.
The OP should just go for what he wants.

1 Like

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by kennyjam: 9:58am On Dec 21, 2019
OP all the best.
You can do and be whatever you want!
Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Starpro87(m): 1:02pm On Dec 21, 2019
By the time you close your eyes and open them 10yrs would have passed. Pursue it diligently.

1 Like

Re: Pls help ! Switching from Psychology to Medicine and Surgery at 31 years !! by Kingpire(m): 10:51pm On Dec 21, 2019
Thanks to you all....

(1) (Reply)

Study @ Hill-city University, Cotonou, Benin / Final Year Student Repeat Four Years After He Was Told His Admission Was Invalid / Uk Schools That Accepts Cotonou Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.