Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? (2211 Views)

What Is The Difference Between A Lake, A River, And A Stream? / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:03am On Dec 22, 2019
Have you ever looked to the skies and wondered how it would feel to float in a cushion of cloud? If I tell that you’ve walked in the clouds several times would you believe? If you’ve ever walked through a fog or mist then you’ve been to the clouds.
I’ll show you what I mean.

What is a Cloud?

A cloud is a visible body of water that has condensed high in the atmosphere.
When water evaporates from the earth surface, it forms vapour which may move vertically (towards the sky) or horizontally (along the earth surface) or both vertically and horizontally. It all depends on the direction and pattern of wind flow in the region.
If the water vapour formed from evaporation moves towards the sky and condenses at high altitudes it forms a cloud. The vapour condense around dust and smoke particles (called condensation nuclei) to form clouds. Clouds vary in their height and mass.

What is a Fog or Mist?

When the condensation (which you read above) occurs close to the earth surface, it forms a fog or mist. So, a fog or mist is simply a cloud that has formed close to the earth surface.
Therefore, every feeling you get when walking through a fog or mist is what you get when walking through a cloud. The obscurity and unclearness, the cold and chilling temperature, those are the same feelings you will get when you walk through the clouds.

What’s the difference between Fog and Mist?

A fog and a mist are the same, the only difference is the extent of unclearness.
If visibility is less than 1,000 metres (a kilometre) geographers call it a 'fog' but if visibility is greater than a kilometre (1,000 metres) geographers call it 'mist’. It’s as simple as that.
So, clouds, mists and fogs are masses of condensed body of water.

Enter Haze

There’s another member of the group that you should meet. I’d be doing you an injustice if i don’t introduce it to you....
Ladies and gentlemen?!!!
Mr haze!!!
Haze on the other hand is quite different from the previous three. Haze refers to very tiny dry particles (not water) such as dust, smoke etc. which are suspended in the air and are invisible to the naked eye. If such suspended materials are dense enough to cause unclearness to the sight, then we can call it haze.
These suspended particles may sometimes cause the red sky which you see at sunset.

Conclusion

From the above explanation you’ve learnt that:
Water vapour that condenses high in the atmosphere is called a cloud.
Water vapour that condenses close to the earth surface is called fog or mist.
The difference between fog and mist is only a matter of how much vision is obscured.
Haze is tiny solid particles that ‘clouds’ the atmosphere.

Source:

“What’s the Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze and Mist?” by GeoAfrikana https://link.medium.com/3QTQJCo7B2

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by Vyntra(m): 3:55am On Dec 22, 2019
front page material,mods oya.

4 Likes

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by OYAY(m): 4:03am On Dec 22, 2019
Educative article.

4 Likes

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by edo3(m): 4:33am On Dec 22, 2019
Aja one Oya gbera to front page..

5 Likes

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by cassidy1996(m): 6:18am On Dec 22, 2019
summary... e mean say weather nor clear...

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by TheSourcerer: 8:04am On Dec 22, 2019
Thanks brather

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by LordIsaac(m): 8:13am On Dec 22, 2019
Insightful

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by Jinyjagz(m): 8:16am On Dec 22, 2019
Interesting and educative.

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by Liposure: 8:24am On Dec 22, 2019
Great Lecture

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by GeoAfrikana(m): 8:26am On Dec 22, 2019
cassidy1996:
summary... e mean say weather nor clear...

Lol smiley

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by seanwilliam(m): 8:37am On Dec 22, 2019
Continue sho ti gbo, continue,
Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by bolinjkezzy(m): 8:39am On Dec 22, 2019
Interesting

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by SolnergyPower: 9:46am On Dec 22, 2019
Thumbs up for the OP.

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by blueghost(m): 10:26am On Dec 22, 2019
Nice one OP even tho such post hardly make front page

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by ABCthingx: 11:26am On Dec 22, 2019
I Learnt something smiley

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by gly(m): 12:48pm On Dec 22, 2019
Nairaland is becoming what I know it to be back in the days of the old. OP thanks so much.
Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by gly(m): 12:55pm On Dec 22, 2019
Nairaland is becoming what I know it to be back in the days of the old. OP thanks so much

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by Zagee: 2:23pm On Dec 22, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Source:

“What’s the Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze and Mist?” by GeoAfrikana https://link.medium.com/3QTQJCo7B2
I thought the phenomenon is called Mist when over a water body; sea, lake, river etc.. but called fog when it's on land��.... I refuse to take this postulation hook, line and sinker!!!
Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by dynicks(m): 2:36pm On Dec 22, 2019
Me staring at the MODS who have reluctantly refused to push this matter to FP....

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by GeoAfrikana(m): 3:00pm On Dec 22, 2019
Zagee:

I thought the phenomenon is called Mist when over a water body; sea, lake, river etc.. but called fog when it's on land��.... I refuse to take this postulation hook, line and sinker!!!

Being subjective is praiseworthy. So your contribution(s) are highly welcome.

However, I'd like to ask that;

- did you study Geography or any Geo related course?

- how/where did you get this opinion? I'm willing to learn more
Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by BelieverDE: 5:01pm On Dec 22, 2019
This is great!
Mods, please push this educative piece to the front page
Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by otokx(m): 5:48pm On Dec 22, 2019
The soot phenomena occuring in Port Harcourt can be said to be an example of _________.
Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by LajaLaba: 5:59pm On Dec 22, 2019
smiley
Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by rtdCivilservant: 6:44pm On Dec 22, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Source:

If u say we get same experiences while moving through clouds and fogs(mists) how come we encounter solid obstacles while moving through clouds(like the ones experienced by Aeroplanes) but we don't experience such with fogs and mist otherwise if we do we all would have broken our legs while trekking through fogs and mists.

1 Like

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by GeoAfrikana(m): 7:44pm On Dec 22, 2019
rtdCivilservant:

If u say we get same experiences while moving through clouds and fogs(mists) how come we encounter solid obstacles while moving through clouds(like the ones experienced by Aeroplanes) but we don't experience such with fogs and mist otherwise if we do we all would have broken our legs while trekking through fogs and mists.

Nice question.

Firstly, what I meant by same experience is that they share the basic attributes of obscurity and coolness not that their obscurity and coolness are exactly the same. It's almost impossible to find geographic regions or features sharing the same exact attributes. So when we at they are the same what we mean is that they share the basic attributes.

Secondly, As I earlier mentioned, clouds are high in the atmosphere therefore the temperature will be lower there. This is due to the environmental lapse rate (-6° for every kilometre).

As you know (from our secondary school physics) ice can only form when the temperature drops below the freezing temperature of water (0°c) and the water maintains that temperature long enough for the water to lose its latent energy.

It's quite difficult for the above phenomenon to occur near the earth surface so we can't have icebergs forming in terrestrial mists or fogs.

I hope this helps.
Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by rtdCivilservant: 8:14pm On Dec 22, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Nice question.

Firstly, what I meant by same experience is that they share the basic attributes of obscurity and coolness not that their obscurity and coolness are exactly the same. It's almost impossible to find geographic regions or features sharing the same exact attributes. So when we at they are the same what we mean is that they share the basic attributes.

Secondly, As I earlier mentioned, clouds are high in the atmosphere therefore the temperature will be lower there. This is due to the environmental lapse rate (-6° for every kilometre).

As you know (from our secondary school physics) ice can only form when the temperature drops below the freezing temperature of water (0°c) and the water maintains that temperature long enough for the water to lose its latent energy.

It's quite difficult for the above phenomenon to occur near the earth surface so we can't have icebergs forming in ice.

I hope this helps.
Perfect. Thank u

2 Likes

Re: What’s The Difference Between Cloud, Fog, Haze And Mist? by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:41am On Jan 26, 2020
rtdCivilservant:

Perfect. Thank u
You're welcome.

(1) (Reply)

Unilag Dli Admission List For 2008 Is Out / Federal Polythenic Offa Kwara State(pre-nd,part-time.hnd Admission List Out) / Weac Time Table

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.