Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:28 AM

3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips (1234 Views)

Share Your Experience As A Freelancer / The Benefits Of Working As A Freelancer / 8 Kinds Of People Every Talented Person Need In Order To Succeed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 11:16am On Dec 23, 2019
1. Learn to Be a Referee
You need to become an excellent setter of boundaries when you work as your own boss - boundaries for others, and for yourself. Make sure you formulate rules about how you spend your time, including your night and weekend hours. Give yourself time for vacations too.
It is also important to clearly define certain boundaries for those who would use your services:

-You're Worth the Money. Freelancing is the land of low-ball offers. An offer of $5 for an hour-long gig is ridiculous - don't take it. You're worth the money, and if you've taken the risk of going out on your own, you deserve the reward of a decent payment.
-Don't Work Hours You're Not Paid For. Once again, bill for everything. If a potential client suggests that you forgo billing for certain aspects of a job or wants a substantial amount of meeting time "off the clock," you need to say no.
-Don't Answer Your Phone and Email All the Time. Once you set limits on when you do and do not work, you need to feel comfortable telling your clients no. Enforce your no-call times. If you're a good enough worker, your clients cannot begrudge you for abiding by your own rules.

2. Build Your Support Team
Freelancing can prove to be lonely at times, especially if you work from home. You need to build a solid support team and make time for friends during the week so you don't burn out. The people you rely on ideally should be able to offer different perspectives on your work and help with managing your daily tasks.

-Count on Outsourcing. Don't waste any of your valuable time with tasks you aren't very good at or that is the least relevant to your work. Equally, if you have more jobs than you can handle, outsource. You may lose a few bucks but in the end you make more from doing more work. For instance, if you offer article writing services, and you have bulk articles, you can outsource to good websites like scribesbay.com that offer good writing services. In the end, you make more delivering more value. Focus on how you can increase supply. Remember, your goal is to move up the chain.
-Connect With Other Freelancers. Freelance work can feel isolating and confusing, especially when income ebbs and flows and you're not always sure what to do. Join a support network, such as Freelancer's Union, for advice, assistance, and additional networking opportunities. You can also find local help on Meetup.com, and answers to your tax- and employment-related questions on the government's Small Business Administration website.
-Consider Coworking. If your main challenge with freelancing is the sense of isolation, consider coworking as an alternative to working from home. A coworking arrangement allows you to rent office space for a small fee so you can mingle with other freelancers, share ideas, and go through the motions of traditional work life.

3. Provide Yourself With Benefits
You need to have a plan for benefits. As a freelance worker, you won't have access to health insurance, disability insurance, or life insurance through any of your clients. You also won't be able to count on the security of regular paychecks. Each of these challenges is surmountable, however, as long as you plan ahead.

-Provide an Income Buffer. First of all, account for the ebbs and flows of income by having between three and six months' worth of savings in your bank account. This buffer can help in months that work is scarce, and you can build it back up when the work pours in again. Additionally, you should start and build up an emergency fund.
-Insurance Coverage. Insurance should be considered part of the cost of doing business. It's wise to seek out medical, short-term disability, and long-term disability plans as a bare minimum of coverage. Depending on your age and health, it may also be prudent to purchase dental and vision insurance. 
-Retirement Benefits. Finally, make sure to plan for your future. In addition to your own research, a financial advisor can help you make retirement decisions, and an accountant can help you understand the tax implications of any avenues you're considering.

Final word

If you're thinking about making the leap to a freelance career, don't look at it as an escape from the rat race of traditional employment. Freelancing comes with significant risks and challenges, and you need to be sure you're prepared for the inevitable difficulties that arise. However, with an independent personality, a little planning, and a lot of creativity, you may find that freelance work is the perfect mixture of flexibility and self-fulfillment for your career path.

What additional tips can you suggest to thrive as a freelancer?

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/312694

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 2:23pm On Dec 23, 2019
One of the problems Nigeria freelancers have that stops them from being successful is that they do not work towards getting up the freelancing ladder. If you began with articles, the next step is to figure out how to outsource, so you buy time and supply more.
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Parmzhelp: 5:35pm On Dec 23, 2019
OP nice post.. my problem with Nigerian freelancers is greed. Imagine your fellow colleague on Fiverr with more orders than he can handle, he won't want to outsource some to you. He would rather stress himself to do everything just to keep the whole cash. If he even tries to outsource to you, it's usually at a ridiculous price. Nigerian freelancers no dey try at all..

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by CrustandSea: 5:50pm On Dec 23, 2019
I think this is the general greed mentality we have as Nigerians and it stops us from growing. We are so hung on to having control over every part of our businesses. It doesn't give room for growth.

Parmzhelp:
OP nice post.. my problem with Nigerian freelancers is greed. Imagine your fellow colleague on Fiverr with more orders than he can handle, he won't want to outsource some to you. He would rather stress himself to do everything just to keep the whole cash. If he even tries to outsource to you, it's usually at a ridiculous price. Nigerian freelancers no dey try at all..
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by CrustandSea: 5:51pm On Dec 23, 2019
OP thanks for the post.. the gig economy is becoming so real. I learnt even big companies like Snapchat outsource their server needs to other giants like Amazon
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by CrustandSea: 5:58pm On Dec 23, 2019
I read this article on warriorforum about this guy who got a big freelance job. By the time he was done with the contract two years later, he had hired over 40 people to work with him, he also had partner with about 4 agency of which he outsource some part of the work to. All of this happened online. The guy wrote this himself and dropped some nuggets. He spoke about how you should quickly think of outsourcing some part of your work so you're able to deliver more.

That deal made him over $2m.
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 12:31am On Dec 24, 2019
Interesting! I know of a guy built his company from freelancing. Guys like Evans Akano (Cregital), Mark Essien (Hotels.ng), Editi Effiong (Anakle) all began as freelancers. These are big guys now.

CrustandSea:
I read this article on warriorforum about this guy who got a big freelance job. By the time he was done with the contract two years later, he had hired over 40 people to work with him, he also had partner with about 4 agency of which he outsource some part of the work to. All of this happened online. The guy wrote this himself and dropped some nuggets. He spoke about how you should quickly think of outsourcing some part of your work so you're able to deliver more.

That deal made him over $2m.
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by MrAlert(m): 7:48am On Dec 24, 2019
Most freelancers on freelance sites think all they have to do is open an account and go and sit and wait for orders. It doesn't work that way. You must promote your offer.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 8:18am On Dec 24, 2019
I agree with you. Do you have suggestions for how you promote?

MrAlert:
Most freelancers on freelance sites think all they have to do is open an account and go and sit and wait for orders. It doesn't work that way. You must promote your offer.
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by MrAlert(m): 9:00am On Dec 24, 2019
Speak2klein:
I agree with you. Do you have suggestions for how you promote?

Sure. Run free ads on free classified sites. But if you want more targeted traffic, let's chat.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 10:19am On Dec 24, 2019
Lol! Not for me. Maybe something you can share with the community to help others.

MrAlert:
Sure. Run free ads on free classified sites. But if you want more targeted traffic, let's chat.
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by MrAlert(m): 11:33am On Dec 24, 2019
Speak2klein:
Lol! Not for me. Maybe something you can share with the community to help others.

Use reddit, quora, Craigslist, free ads usa, and eBay. That's all I can give for Free.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 6:25pm On Dec 24, 2019
Thank you so much for this!

MrAlert:

Use reddit, quora, Craigslist, free ads usa, and eBay. That's all I can give for Free.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Emeomas: 7:03am On Dec 25, 2019
This is good stuff, thanks for the tips
MrAlert:

2 Likes

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Parmzhelp: 11:16am On Dec 25, 2019
Can people do paid ads for their fiverr gigs?
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Parmzhelp: 11:17am On Dec 25, 2019
But lalasticala this is good stuff for front page oh. Let people learn about becoming freelancers.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Parmzhelp: 11:20am On Dec 25, 2019
According to the gig economy research done by Upwork, freelancers will outnumber traditional workers by 2027. So the earleir you get into the game, the better.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Parmzhelp: 11:21am On Dec 25, 2019
So Nigeria has a major drawback when it comes to freelancing and that is payment from international clients. It's so tough. Paypal would have been the best option but we are banned from receiving payments here. What do we do biko?

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 11:25am On Dec 25, 2019
Well, there are other options although still difficult, like Payoneer. The best option is an indigenous freelance platform that cuts this payment out so freelancers can focus on their work. Scribesbay offers that though.

Parmzhelp:
So Nigeria has a major drawback when it comes to freelancing and that is payment from international clients. It's so tough. Paypal would have been the best option but we are banned from receiving payments here. What do we do biko?
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 11:26am On Dec 25, 2019
People who have used Scribesbay for outsourcing articles and writing articles, what has your experience been like?

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by CrustandSea: 11:29am On Dec 25, 2019
They just added the order option recently o. I ordered once frm them and it was good. Great article and delivered timely. Who has written fro them before?

Speak2klein:
People who have used Scribesbay for outsourcing articles and writing articles, what has your experience been like?

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by tshege(m): 9:37pm On Dec 25, 2019
I am a writer, and I know how it feels if your editor asks for revisions. After spending hours on your blog post/essay or document, you are asked to revise your work. How painful!

I have a solution for you, get Grammarly!

Ouch! Grammarly is a tad bit expensive. How many people can afford the $135 a year subscription?

I have a solution for you. I will get you a Grammarly premium account for a pittance. Chikini money o.

No DM for prices, I'll sell you a Grammarly account to you for ₦2,000.00 only.

Send me a message here on WhatsApp for your Premium account o8I62294oI7

When you send me a message, please, go straight to the point no reduction in price.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 10:36pm On Dec 25, 2019
LOL! Grammarly is important as a writer though.
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by CrustandSea: 8:55am On Dec 26, 2019
I go hit you up my guy

tshege:

I am a writer, and I know how it feels if your editor asks for revisions. After spending hours on your blog post/essay or document, you are asked to revise your work. How painful!

I have a solution for you, get Grammarly!

Ouch! Grammarly is a tad bit expensive. How many people can afford the $135 a year subscription?

I have a solution for you. I will get you a Grammarly premium account for a pittance. Chikini money o.

No DM for prices, I'll sell you a Grammarly account to you for ₦2,000.00 only.

Send me a message here on WhatsApp for your Premium account o8I62294oI7

When you send me a message, please, go straight to the point no reduction in price.
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Parmzhelp: 8:58am On Dec 26, 2019
I feel like at the end of the day, freelancing makes you better. Because you will have no choice but to improve yourself so you remain relevant in the market place. In traditional jobs, there's security, little room to expand skills.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 9:02am On Dec 26, 2019
I agree! I think if Nigerians adopt this, it will generally be a good thing. Remember we don't have a lot of skilled hands. Now don't get me wrong. We have skilled people but most new graduates still need some training before they get their hands-on certain tasks. As a result, business lack skilled labour. If the few highly-skilled personnel become freelancers, more business will have access to them and that means businesses will generally do well. But if the highly-skilled guy remains a permanent staff in one place, there's a monopoly of skill which is not so good for the general business environment.

Parmzhelp:
I feel like at the end of the day, freelancing makes you better. Because you will have no choice but to improve yourself so you remain relevant in the market place. In traditional jobs, there's security, little room to expand skills.

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Parmzhelp: 9:05am On Dec 26, 2019
True! It will encourage the others to learn faster and improve.
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by tshege(m): 9:25am On Dec 26, 2019
CrustandSea:
I go hit you up my guy

My DM is ever open for business.
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by HARYOMIDE1994: 4:06pm On Dec 26, 2019
Speak2klein:
1. Learn to Be a Referee
You need to become an excellent setter of boundaries when you work as your own boss - boundaries for others, and for yourself. Make sure you formulate rules about how you spend your time, including your night and weekend hours. Give yourself time for vacations too.
It is also important to clearly define certain boundaries for those who would use your services:

-You're Worth the Money. Freelancing is the land of low-ball offers. An offer of $5 for an hour-long gig is ridiculous - don't take it. You're worth the money, and if you've taken the risk of going out on your own, you deserve the reward of a decent payment.
-Don't Work Hours You're Not Paid For. Once again, bill for everything. If a potential client suggests that you forgo billing for certain aspects of a job or wants a substantial amount of meeting time "off the clock," you need to say no.
-Don't Answer Your Phone and Email All the Time. Once you set limits on when you do and do not work, you need to feel comfortable telling your clients no. Enforce your no-call times. If you're a good enough worker, your clients cannot begrudge you for abiding by your own rules.

2. Build Your Support Team
Freelancing can prove to be lonely at times, especially if you work from home. You need to build a solid support team and make time for friends during the week so you don't burn out. The people you rely on ideally should be able to offer different perspectives on your work and help with managing your daily tasks.

-Count on Outsourcing. Don't waste any of your valuable time with tasks you aren't very good at or that is the least relevant to your work. Equally, if you have more jobs than you can handle, outsource. You may lose a few bucks but in the end you make more from doing more work. For instance, if you offer article writing services, and you have bulk articles, you can outsource to good websites like scribesbay.com that offer good writing services. In the end, you make more delivering more value. Focus on how you can increase supply. Remember, your goal is to move up the chain.
-Connect With Other Freelancers. Freelance work can feel isolating and confusing, especially when income ebbs and flows and you're not always sure what to do. Join a support network, such as Freelancer's Union, for advice, assistance, and additional networking opportunities. You can also find local help on Meetup.com, and answers to your tax- and employment-related questions on the government's Small Business Administration website.
-Consider Coworking. If your main challenge with freelancing is the sense of isolation, consider coworking as an alternative to working from home. A coworking arrangement allows you to rent office space for a small fee so you can mingle with other freelancers, share ideas, and go through the motions of traditional work life.

3. Provide Yourself With Benefits
You need to have a plan for benefits. As a freelance worker, you won't have access to health insurance, disability insurance, or life insurance through any of your clients. You also won't be able to count on the security of regular paychecks. Each of these challenges is surmountable, however, as long as you plan ahead.

-Provide an Income Buffer. First of all, account for the ebbs and flows of income by having between three and six months' worth of savings in your bank account. This buffer can help in months that work is scarce, and you can build it back up when the work pours in again. Additionally, you should start and build up an emergency fund.
-Insurance Coverage. Insurance should be considered part of the cost of doing business. It's wise to seek out medical, short-term disability, and long-term disability plans as a bare minimum of coverage. Depending on your age and health, it may also be prudent to purchase dental and vision insurance. 
-Retirement Benefits. Finally, make sure to plan for your future. In addition to your own research, a financial advisor can help you make retirement decisions, and an accountant can help you understand the tax implications of any avenues you're considering.

Final word

If you're thinking about making the leap to a freelance career, don't look at it as an escape from the rat race of traditional employment. Freelancing comes with significant risks and challenges, and you need to be sure you're prepared for the inevitable difficulties that arise. However, with an independent personality, a little planning, and a lot of creativity, you may find that freelance work is the perfect mixture of flexibility and self-fulfillment for your career path.

What additional tips can you suggest to thrive as a freelancer?

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/312694

Nice article up there.

Freelance Writer and Editor

I can write, proofread and edit articles, publications, theses, blog posts, product descriptions and reviews, journals, technical writings, and much more. With over 2 years experience in this niche, I can assure you of an unparalleled, plagiarism free, spotless, and well articulated work.

With me, you get:
1. A well researched, organised, fact-enriched, and interesting article with full SEO optimization
3. Grammarly and SlickWrite passed contents
4. A well-referenced APA style content.

I am so confident of the above-mentioned and will never renege on my promises. I gained most of my experiences from offline jobs and local clients. However, I am ready, fully committed, and passionate about taking on more difficult jobs. I am imperfect but teachable, pay attention to details, and yield to correction.

Thanks in anticipation of working with you. You can contact me to discuss better on how to implement your project for the best output.

Kind regards
o806364295six

1 Like

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Speak2klein: 10:12am On Dec 28, 2019
Sites you can start your freelancing journey

- Upwork
- Fiverr
- Freelancer
- Toptal
- Zemandi
- Scribesbay
- Guru
- PeoplePerHour

And many more. However, they each all their varying degree of difficulty in getting jobs. The easier ones seem to be Scribesbay and zemandi (both writing platforms).

Meanwhile see this photo below? What do you think?

2 Likes

Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by Parmzhelp: 7:44am On Dec 29, 2019
Upwork is the best for now because people who have jobs advertise and then you send in your proposals. I used to get writing jobs from Upwork and then outsource it on Scribesbay. Because of that, I could handle a lot of orders. Still do that till now and its so smooth sometimes I feel like a genius. I also did some graphics which I outsource on a one on one bases too.. (graphics are more delicate)

Speak2klein:
Sites you can start your freelancing journey

- Upwork
- Fiverr
- Freelancer
- Toptal
- Zemandi
- Scribesbay
- Guru
- PeoplePerHour

And many more. However, they each all their varying degree of difficulty in getting jobs. The easier ones seem to be Scribesbay and zemandi (both writing platforms).

Meanwhile see this photo below? What do you think?
Re: 3 Tips To Succeed As A Freelancer - Scribesbay Tips by LionInZion: 3:23pm On Dec 29, 2019
Parmzhelp:
Upwork is the best for now because people who have jobs advertise and then you send in your proposals. I used to get writing jobs from Upwork and then outsource it on Scribesbay. Because of that, I could handle a lot of orders. Still do that till now and its so smooth sometimes I feel like a genius. I also did some graphics which I outsource on a one on one bases too.. (graphics are more delicate)

Can you please tell me more about Scribesbay? How efficient and timely are they? And how to go about it and get the best services from them. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Earn N10,000 Daily With This Wonderful App / Need Help On Cis / Any1 Knows The Procedure For Registration Of Incorporated Trustees?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.