Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,664 members, 7,823,882 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season (15243 Views)

Japan Display Bets On Dashboard Flash For Drivers / Driving Tips For Drivers On How To Drive During Harmattan Season / Lagos Ranked 3rd Worst City In The World For Drivers By Forbes (see List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Godspower35(m): 11:28pm On Jan 01, 2020
Here comes harmattan again,its a season that seems not to be good for most drivers,because its not handled properly,accident can take place simply because the visibility is diminishing. In some parts of nigeria it can lead to poor vision. Despite these we can still drive safely under these conditions.
Here are some steps that will help out in situations like this:

Avoid over speeding:

During harmattan season there is every tendency
that the atmosphere will majorly by dusty/foggy.It is always advisable to drive at a moderate speed in order to pay attention to the road.If we can maintain a steady speed then we will be able to prevent accidents which may lead to loss of life or severe injuries.

Drive Carefully:

As a result of poor visibility,its advisable to drive moderately,this will help in braking adequately when necessary

Avoid drifting:

when vision is bad there is every tendency of deviating into the middle of the road, ensure you maintain your track because you never can tell if another vehicle with a similar situation is closeby.

Use fog lights or driving lights:

Many cars have fog or driving lights that are factory installed. These lights are usually placed low in or under the front bumper. They are aimed as far as possible at the floor in front of the car. Fog lights differ from driving lights mainly in the way they project the light. Fog lights often have clear or yellow lenses. When driving, lights usually have clear lenses. The beam of light produced by fog lights is usually wide and flat; flat to stay close to the road surface and minimize reflections from fog and wide to better illuminate the sides of the road.

Use your low beam:

The visibility in front of you decreases significantly in fog. Therefore, use the low beam of the car (if the car has no fog lights or driving lights). Heavy fog prohibits the use of high-beam headlights. The light from high-beam headlights is reflected by thick fog. When the fog gets thinner, the high beam can become more effective. Check regularly that the fog is so thin that high beam can be used.

Use caution at all times:

Air humidity can accumulate continuously on the windshield, which makes it harder to see. Adjust the defogger and windshield wiper speed as necessary. This can really help to increase the visibility.

Move to the side of the road if you do not have visibility:

If it becomes too difficult or often, pull over and wait. Turn on the emergency lights warn other drivers where you are.

Use the right side of the road as a tutor:

This can help you avoid getting into the incoming traffic or lighting yourself.

Ask for help:

Don't be afraid to ask your passengers to look for oncoming cars and obstacles on the road.
http://www.eliancars.com/2020/01/essential-tips-for-drivers-this.html
[img]https://1.bp..com/-M_4FCMviIGA/Xgqfb_RNVcI/AAAAAAAADcw/cwd0zhrPICIkBNHIfS_142Ru9WZiWHZPQCLcBGAsYHQ/s320/harmattan.jpg[/img]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Kreamie(m): 4:38am On Jan 03, 2020
Use Low Beam

4 Likes

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Jestin: 10:50pm On Jan 03, 2020
The best season for me...the period girls get pregnant rapidly

2 Likes

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by imagine4real: 10:51pm On Jan 03, 2020
Smoke enough weed

Thank me later cheesy cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 03, 2020
Increase Ac. Na AC dey clear fog for my car o. It sounds ridiculous but I've noticed it for sometime now.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by naijazee2: 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2020
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2020
In the mean while, check my signature and profile.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by PheelzAlmighty: 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2020
Tips of life grin
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Litesanti(m): 10:52pm On Jan 03, 2020
Quite educative
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by domopps(m): 10:53pm On Jan 03, 2020
Super cool tips

Very informative and highly helpful

Cheers
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by larryeffizy1(m): 10:53pm On Jan 03, 2020
A simple word is enough for the wise one...

God's mercy on everyone of us....
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Jaynom(m): 10:54pm On Jan 03, 2020
Jestin:
The best season for me.
You wouldn't be saying this if you lived in Plateau, Kaduna or Katsina state

2 Likes

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by mastermaestro(m): 10:55pm On Jan 03, 2020
Speeding is inviting for me this season. Enjoying it after the stress of rainy season. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Lovelies1: 10:55pm On Jan 03, 2020
Check my signature

Update on 9 year old Laurent Simon drops out of university

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Abiamaka(m): 10:56pm On Jan 03, 2020
May God guide and protect every one of us
Ameen
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 03, 2020
OP you fail to mention hot drinks, most of ds commuter drivers do take Kai Kai, squad 5, 501, dry gin etc b4 zooming off with passengers only to start sleeping on stiring, please passengers especially those heading bk to their place of work check if your driver eye correct b4 you board to your destination. SAFE JOURNEY...

4 Likes

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by BUSHHUNTER: 10:57pm On Jan 03, 2020
No 10. Don't drive

10 Likes

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by OKUCHI11(m): 11:01pm On Jan 03, 2020
Jestin:
you won't utter this words if you are a resident of Illela in Sokoto state.... Nigeria..or Konni resident in Niger republic
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by laosy(m): 11:04pm On Jan 03, 2020
This harmattan sef, it's disadvantages is more than the advantages, nose just dey pain person to breath since morning

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by anochuko01(m): 11:08pm On Jan 03, 2020
OKUCHI11:
you won't utter this words if you are a resident of Illela in Sokoto state.... Nigeria..or Konni resident in Niger republic
Even Kano here na die! I Love cold o, but I don jam my oga for here. I'm typing this from under a blanket, with trouser and socks on. Even To commot head from under blanket sef na war.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Ebenezar2020(m): 11:09pm On Jan 03, 2020
Freehuman:
Increase Ac. Na AC dey clear fog for my car o. It sounds ridiculous but I've noticed it for sometime now.
that's true.

1 Like

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Ebenezar2020(m): 11:10pm On Jan 03, 2020
anochuko01:

Even Kano here na die! I Love cold o, but I don jam my oga for here. I'm typing this from under a blanket, with trouser and socks on. Even To commot head from under blanket sef na war.
why u no drink tea and bath hot water.
I hear say Jos own na die
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Ebenezar2020(m): 11:12pm On Jan 03, 2020
laosy:
This harmattan sef, it's disadvantages is more than the advantages, nose just dey pain person to breath since morning
same here but if u dey bath constantly u go fresh oh cos this one na another improvised form of AC

1 Like

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Ttipsy(f): 11:19pm On Jan 03, 2020
Jestin:
how often do u use ur brain

1 Like

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by anochuko01(m): 11:21pm On Jan 03, 2020
Ebenezar2020:
why u no drink tea and bath hot water.
I hear say Jos own na die
Jos was 9 degree yesterday, today 7 degrees. Kano was 12 yesterday, today 9.
I no get tea for house o, already spent about 300 on tea today
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by ADRIAN88(m): 11:39pm On Jan 03, 2020
Sadly it doesn't apply to Lagosians because the harmattan no dey reach pass one week. grin
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by edoairways: 11:56pm On Jan 03, 2020
Freehuman:
Not Ac rather the heater
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Octaves(m): 12:03am On Jan 04, 2020
Imagine having to drive from Lagos to the east in one of those
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Walkingkilo(m): 12:25am On Jan 04, 2020
laosy:

Bruhhhhhhhhh!!!!! My nasal cavity is in squalor

1 Like

Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Nobody: 12:31am On Jan 04, 2020
laosy:
na that thing they make me hate harmattan, blocked nose every time.
Re: 9 Essential Tips For Drivers This Harmattan Season by Nobody: 12:33am On Jan 04, 2020
edoairways:

Not Ac rather the heater

I use AC bro. I'm sure of what I'm saying. Try it out tomorrow morning.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

9 Standard Features In Cars That Have Been Replaced By New Tech / The Differences Between Manual And Automatic Compressors. / Is Rad Auto Works "Expensive"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.