Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,041 members, 7,818,085 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Mum Covered In Thousands Of Tumours Is Abused In The Streets By Strangers - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Mum Covered In Thousands Of Tumours Is Abused In The Streets By Strangers (343 Views)

I Was Abused In Relationships – Richard Mofe – Damijo / Nine Perfect Strangers Book Download Free Epub | Best Books 2018 / Over 3 Million Bottles Of Codeine Syrup Abused In Kano, Jigawa – Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mum Covered In Thousands Of Tumours Is Abused In The Streets By Strangers by Mywd: 2:58am On Jan 03, 2020
A MUM who is covered in thousands of tumours says she gets abused in the street by strangers who think shes contagious.

Ashley Jernigan, 35, from Montgomery, Alabama, has neurofibromatosis - a rare genetic condition which causes tumours to form on nerve tissue.

The single mum-of-four was diagnosed when she hit puberty but says the condition has worsened after each of her pregnancies.

She says she now faces daily stares and claims people avoid her because they fear they might catch the illness - even though its not contagious.

Ashley said: “With this condition, you can still live life like any other normal person.

"It’s just the bullying you have to deal with. It takes a strong person to overcome what people say.

People say ‘look at her, where did she come from and what’s wrong with her’

Ashley Jernigan

“It’s hard, it’s really rough, and depressing.

"When I go out, people stare and make rude gestures.

"They say ‘look at her, where did she come from and what’s wrong with her’."

The full time mum says the lumps all over her body have also left her feeling like shell never find love.

“I don’t want to date because of the stares. A man wouldn’t accept me," she said.

"It would take a strong man to appreciate me for who I am and look past my condition.”

It would take a strong man to appreciate me for who I am and look past my condition

Ashley

Her mum Lisa died of neurofibromatosis, which affects one in 3,000 people, when she was just 25.

Ashley was advised by doctors not to have children as it would make the condition worse.

But she went on ignore this advice and have four children, Darnell, 15, Devon, 14, Keonna, eight, and Kaiden, five - but said with every pregnancy the condition did worsen.

Ashley wants to spread the word that the condition isn’t contagious, but said some of the lumps on her body leave her in too much pain to wear shoes.

Although there is a chance her children could also have or develop the genetic illness, she doesnt want to have them tested for the condition.

She added: “Kids are more curious and understanding, they think its chickenpox or ant bites but I just say I was born like this.”

“I don’t know how far back in my family it goes but my grandmother was covered in them, from head to toe.

“Darnell has it, but my others aren’t showing signs yet.

"I can get them tested but I don’t want to know. I’ll be pretty upset if I find out they have it.”

Ashley has rejected surgery to remove the tumours as there’s a chance this could make them come back even bigger.

She said: “They can turn into cancer so I have to keep an eye on them.

"I worry about the future but I try not to think about it because it’s depressing.”

Re: Mum Covered In Thousands Of Tumours Is Abused In The Streets By Strangers by blackpanthar: 3:09am On Jan 03, 2020
is there no cure? this is too much? oh no.
Re: Mum Covered In Thousands Of Tumours Is Abused In The Streets By Strangers by Nobody: 3:31am On Jan 03, 2020
Boys no send. Dem go chow her like that of she serve come. Make one better aza man control her come naija bros na pre wedding pictures straight. Boys no send

Jokes apart though. You can't find love but you born four. How you take born am? By the power of the Holy Spirit?
If I were her I no go born at all if there is a chance my kids will have them. For the kids Wey catch am go swear give mama later in the future

1 Like

Re: Mum Covered In Thousands Of Tumours Is Abused In The Streets By Strangers by SameerAhmad: 4:14am On Jan 03, 2020
Please add "graphic pictures"
Re: Mum Covered In Thousands Of Tumours Is Abused In The Streets By Strangers by Roadtoyesterday: 4:20am On Jan 03, 2020
OP what exactly should I do with this?

Re: Mum Covered In Thousands Of Tumours Is Abused In The Streets By Strangers by Nobody: 4:52am On Jan 03, 2020
angry add graphic pictures. See goosebumps everywhere in this harmattan period.

But honestly if no man can love you, maybe a strong woman would or a lady-boy/tranny.

undecided
Re: Mum Covered In Thousands Of Tumours Is Abused In The Streets By Strangers by TheGiftedOne(m): 5:06am On Jan 03, 2020
This is bad. So bad the guy on the TV screen is surprised too @ last pic.

This is great wrenching.

(1) (Reply)

What Have You Achieved In This 2020? / Maryam Sanda Sentenced To Death By Hanging For Husband’s Murder / The Cheapest WOW Classic Gold In WOW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.