Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,312 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Who Knows How This Yoruba Saying Came About? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Knows How This Yoruba Saying Came About? (615 Views)

Who Knows Any Igbo Name That Starts With Letter P? / Check Out This Yoruba Words For A Glutton / The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Knows How This Yoruba Saying Came About? by cbrass(m): 8:57pm On Jan 03, 2020
Yoruba : Ibeyen jin bi Orun Ashante
English: That place is so far like the heaven of Ashanti

Let us see the first person to get the scenario that came about this Yoruba saying : grin
Re: Who Knows How This Yoruba Saying Came About? by cbrass(m): 8:58pm On Jan 03, 2020
Answer : During time of Basorun Yanba a lot of towns were conquered for the the Alaafin , of which Ghana,Benin,Togo and Burkina faso were among, this conquest continued under Basorun Ga, who happens to be the son of Basorun Yanba.

If you noticed there are some Yoruba speaking parts in most of these countries mentioned above...a very good example is that of Benin which used to be called Dahomey. For those who have visited Benin(including me) you will realize that they have a number of people who can speak the Oyo dialect and also have Oyo tribal marks but they are not Nigerians.

Now to the reason for that statement When a Town is conquered the conquerors often establish their own government (though this may include the aboriginals they met there but will be headed by the conquerors) this was the case in Bini when Oranmiyan conquered Igodomigodo and changed its name and also their ruling house and title , this also happened in the Ashanti land which is now is present day Ghana.

When a king dies in Yoruba land they are taken to their burying place called Orun(Heaven) which is always at Ile-Ife , this is where the kings are buried but over time this tradition has stopped, but before it stopped. it happened that the Oni Nana of Ashanti land died and was to be taken to his own Orun(Burying site in Ile -Ife) as the custom requires. SO they had to trek a lot of days and months to get to Ile - Ife. WHen they got to Ile -Ife they were asked how many Moons they counted before they got to Ile -Ife and they replied 6, it was then the Elders of Ile-Ife exclaimed and gave them the rites to have their own Burying place for all later Oni Nanas because of the distance.

So often times, even up to this day, when our elders want to describe how far a place is they will say O jin bi Orun Ashanti meaning it it far like the Heaven(Burial ground) of Ashanti.

i hope we learnt something today grin

let me copy my Elders cc Macof , TAO11
cc lalasticlala pls help move to the front page for others to learn

2 Likes

Re: Who Knows How This Yoruba Saying Came About? by cbrass(m): 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2020
Okay I have waited enough, and I am going to answer it
Re: Who Knows How This Yoruba Saying Came About? by MetaPhysical: 11:30pm On Jan 04, 2020
grin grin
Love it!

Yoruba na something else.
Re: Who Knows How This Yoruba Saying Came About? by cbrass(m): 11:43pm On Jan 04, 2020
MetaPhysical:
grin grin
Love it!

Yoruba na something else.

grin grin
Re: Who Knows How This Yoruba Saying Came About? by googi: 12:14am On Jan 05, 2020
Interesting. The Ashanti are also divided into Akhan or they are part of?
Re: Who Knows How This Yoruba Saying Came About? by cbrass(m): 12:36am On Jan 05, 2020
googi:
Interesting. The Ashanti are also divided into Akhan or they are part of?

I have heard that Akhan part too, i don't know in detail about the Yoruba exploit in Ashanti land but i met a Ghanian some 3 Years ago who claimed that they came from Oyo, i was really shocked that day

(1) (Reply)

Happy New Month To All NL Members / Refinement Of Culture. / Rights Of Passage- Words Of An Ailing Uncle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.