Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,013 members, 7,821,549 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:50 PM

Students, Parents Protest National ID Racketeering, Extortion In Lagos - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students, Parents Protest National ID Racketeering, Extortion In Lagos (231 Views)

Parents Protest At Lead British School Abuja, Threaten To Withdraw Children / Kwara Muslim Parents Protest Against Rejection Of Hijab-Wearing Students / Grace High School Lagos Asks WAEC Candidates To Lodge In Hotel, Parents Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students, Parents Protest National ID Racketeering, Extortion In Lagos by prof2007: 10:55pm On Jan 04, 2020
Parents and students on Friday 3rd January 2020 decried the alleged extortion of money from those seeking to enrol on the National Identity Number in the Alimosho Local Government Area and Igando Ikotun Local Council Development Area of Lagos State.

They claimed some officials of the National Identity Management Commission in the areas had been demanding bribes ranging from N2,000 to N10,000 for enrollment. Sunday PUNCH reported on December 29, 2019, that the NIMC dismissed 6 of its workers for extortion.

It was learnt that the enrolment process became cumbersome after the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board announced in September that the NIN would be compulsory for the 2020 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination. Investigations by Saturday PUNCH on Friday revealed that some parents who also wanted to obtain their national ID cards had spent more than one week trying to complete the process without success.

A parent, Mr Gabriel Ugbesia, who went to the registration centre on the premises of Alimosho LGA, claimed he parted with N7, 000 to get his daughter registered. He said, “I could not do mine because I could not afford to pay N14,000 for the two of us. My daughter needed it to complete her registration process in the university. I had to give a bribe after I had been frustrated for over one week. This country is getting worse by the day. Some people come to this centre as early as 4am and there would have been more than 50 people already on the list.”

A student at the same centre, Kemi Audu, said, “I got here around 6am today and there were 147 names on the list. “Someone told me not to bother about the list because they do not work with it. They said they would only attend to 50 people in a day, and from my findings, they only attend to those who give bribes. This is highly frustrating and I believe that it was caused by the Federal Government’s decision to make the national ID compulsory. Some will even give you fake forms that are being sold for N2,000.”

Another parent, Mrs Winifred Mark, said she faced difficulties at the NIMC centre on the premises of the Nigeria Immigration Service in Ikeja. She said, “I have tried it in Ikorodu and Ikeja. They collect between N5,000 and N7,000. I also went to Alimosho Local Government Area, the situation was worse. The names on the list as of 6.15am were about 250 and I was told by one of the council workers that the list was just for formality. They should not have attached JAMB to this thing. Even in Ikeja where they have 8 machines, they still have issues.”

A council worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “It is done for N5,000 and it is because of you; any person that cannot pay N7,000 or N10,000 I do not get myself involved.”

SOURCE: https://punchng.com/students-parents-protest-national-id-racketeering-extortion-in-lagos/
Re: Students, Parents Protest National ID Racketeering, Extortion In Lagos by Ernerstdavid55(m): 11:06pm On Jan 04, 2020
I swear everything na bribe for dis country.even wen the federal gov said is free..I experienced such while try to get my own Id I had to pay aditional money
Re: Students, Parents Protest National ID Racketeering, Extortion In Lagos by blessingsonflee(f): 11:51pm On Jan 04, 2020
sad There was a Country
Re: Students, Parents Protest National ID Racketeering, Extortion In Lagos by Exciting(f): 9:55pm On Jan 05, 2020
So true. The one I witnessed was #5,000 per candidate.. Tiz really bad oo
Re: Students, Parents Protest National ID Racketeering, Extortion In Lagos by Brunicekid(m): 10:17pm On Jan 05, 2020
prof2007:
Parents and students on Friday 3rd January 2020 decried the alleged extortion of money from those seeking to enrol on the National Identity Number in the Alimosho Local Government Area and Igando Ikotun Local Council Development Area of Lagos State.

They claimed some officials of the National Identity Management Commission in the areas had been demanding bribes ranging from N2,000 to N10,000 for enrollment. Sunday PUNCH reported on December 29, 2019, that the NIMC dismissed 6 of its workers for extortion.

It was learnt that the enrolment process became cumbersome after the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board announced in September that the NIN would be compulsory for the 2020 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination. Investigations by Saturday PUNCH on Friday revealed that some parents who also wanted to obtain their national ID cards had spent more than one week trying to complete the process without success.

A parent, Mr Gabriel Ugbesia, who went to the registration centre on the premises of Alimosho LGA, claimed he parted with N7, 000 to get his daughter registered. He said, “I could not do mine because I could not afford to pay N14,000 for the two of us. My daughter needed it to complete her registration process in the university. I had to give a bribe after I had been frustrated for over one week. This country is getting worse by the day. Some people come to this centre as early as 4am and there would have been more than 50 people already on the list.”

A student at the same centre, Kemi Audu, said, “I got here around 6am today and there were 147 names on the list. “Someone told me not to bother about the list because they do not work with it. They said they would only attend to 50 people in a day, and from my findings, they only attend to those who give bribes. This is highly frustrating and I believe that it was caused by the Federal Government’s decision to make the national ID compulsory. Some will even give you fake forms that are being sold for N2,000.”

Another parent, Mrs Winifred Mark, said she faced difficulties at the NIMC centre on the premises of the Nigeria Immigration Service in Ikeja. She said, “I have tried it in Ikorodu and Ikeja. They collect between N5,000 and N7,000. I also went to Alimosho Local Government Area, the situation was worse. The names on the list as of 6.15am were about 250 and I was told by one of the council workers that the list was just for formality. They should not have attached JAMB to this thing. Even in Ikeja where they have 8 machines, they still have issues.”

A council worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “It is done for N5,000 and it is because of you; any person that cannot pay N7,000 or N10,000 I do not get myself involved.”

SOURCE: https://punchng.com/students-parents-protest-national-id-racketeering-extortion-in-lagos/
This is very TRUE and SADDENING...The FG should just make this Identity Registration an online thing.

(1) (Reply)

Exam Could Be False Representation Of One's Intelligence / Looking For Advise / How do I do mpil after terminal master grade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.