Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV (670 Views)

Parents With Sickle Cell Kids How Do You Cope? / Nigerian Man Marries With ‘fake’ Genotype, Abandons Wife With ‘sickle Cell’ Kids / Undetected Sickle Celler (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV by TimT: 11:06pm On Jan 07, 2020
Good day my fellow Nairalanders..
I've been on this platform for a while now, following up on front pages issues, learning more everyday...
But when it comes to issues concerning intending couples, one of the reoccurring problem is the issue of one or both the partners being a Sickle cell carrier....
Which leads me to ask... Is Sickle cell better than HIV when it comes to marriage...
Publicly (in Nigeria) ,HIV is being frowned upon as a death sentence, but nobody talks of SICKLE CELL..... Until time of marriage!!!
So what's ur opinion....
Is it better to marry SS person?
Or
Better to marry a HIV positive ( on treatment) person....
N.B- This is a general knowledge question, nothing personal....
Re: Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV by Osasnidas(m): 11:32pm On Jan 07, 2020
I would advice that it's better to avoid discriminating against these set of people. it kills faster...

Now you have seen that a normal Individual with AA genotype is the best Match up with a sickle cell person SS.. it's true and let's leave it like that.

In this current age of advancement in health care services, i bet sickle cell patients can lead a normal life with the right resources, diet plans and routines, even stem cell transplant is a breakthrough.

For HIV, there is Pre-exposure prophylaxis and zero viral load for the infected on retroviral drugs so people can get married and even have unprotected coitus and not catch the virus

My point is, Sickle Cell is a condition, HIV is an Infection they all come with their aches, it's not a deterrent for someone not to be happy with a loved one(spread love not discrimination)

Don't try to find out which is better, just wish your current curiosity doesn't actualise to a real life scenario.

6 Likes

Re: Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV by nlPoster: 11:35pm On Jan 07, 2020
I've seen a few nlers making a point of posting HIV after my posts.

May God forgive them, whatever they and their cronies are planning or whatever gossip they were told, let it be on their own heads.

I dont know if they're trying to tell me someone I know has HIV?
Re: Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV by TimT: 10:36am On Jan 08, 2020
Thanks
Osasnidas:
I would advice that it's better to avoid discriminating against these set of people. it kills faster...

Now you have seen that a normal Individual with AA genotype is the best Match up with a sickle cell person SS.. it's true and let's leave it like that.

In this current age of advancement in health care services, i bet sickle cell patients can lead a normal life with the right resources, diet plans and routines, even stem cell transplant is a breakthrough.

For HIV, there is Pre-exposure prophylaxis and zero viral load for the infected on retroviral drugs so people can get married and even have unprotected coitus and not catch the virus

My point is, Sickle Cell is a condition, HIV is an Infection they all come with their aches, it's not a deterrent for someone not to be happy with a loved one(spread love not discrimination)

Don't try to find out which is better, just wish your current curiosity doesn't actualise to a real life scenario.
Re: Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV by 2dmax(m): 4:32pm On Jan 09, 2020
TimT:
I've been on this platform for a while now, following up on front pages issues, learning more everyday...
But when it comes to issues concerning intending couples, one of the reoccurring problem is the issue of one or both the partners being a Sickle cell carrier....
Which leads me to ask... Is Sickle cell better than HIV when it comes to marriage...
Publicly (in Nigeria) ,HIV is being frowned upon as a death sentence, but nobody talks of SICKLE CELL..... Until time of marriage!!!
So what's ur opinion....
Or

Pls HIV is not a sickness, so there are no basis for comparison.
Re: Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV by Winneygirl(f): 5:44pm On Jan 09, 2020
TimT:
So what's ur opinion....
Or

Listen to Osasnidas and live your life.
Re: Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV by Jentle244: 6:22pm On Jan 09, 2020
none is better, just like the above poster said spread love
Re: Which Is Better- Sickle Cell Or HIV by Jentle244: 6:26pm On Jan 09, 2020
2dmax:

Pls HIV is not a sickness, so there are no basis for comparison.

I think what the poster is trying to ascertain is which is better in terms of discrimination faced by these set of people.

whether you like it or not discrimination is bound to occur.

But then there are some medical conditions HIV is better than

(1) (Reply)

Female Shoes Clearance Sale / Corona Virus: What's Odd In This Picture? / Deep And Funny Introverts Memes You'll Relate To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.