Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:02 PM

Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? (11187 Views)

It’s Difficult For Igbo Muslims To Get Partners In S’east – Imo Chief Imam / Ruling on Saying the Takbeer (Allaahu Akbar) loudly behind the Imam / Imam Ustadh Ku Yaqub Ku Hashim Dies On Pulpit During His Jumu'ah Lecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:23am On Jan 08, 2020
Question
Assalam 'alaykum, Please i need a comprehensive evidence that prohibits the Imam having an elevated platform higher than the rest of the congregation for Salah.

Answer
All perfect praise be to Allah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that none is worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) is His slave and messenger.

Based on proofs reported in this regard, scholars deduced that it is disliked for the Imam to stand in a higher place than the worshippers during the congregational prayer for no need. For instance, it has been narrated on the authority of Hammaam may Allaah have mercy upon him that Huthayfah may Allaah be pleased with him once led the people in prayer in Al-Madaa’in (in Iraq) while standing on a bench. Abu Mas‘ood may Allaah be pleased with him took him by his shirt and pulled him down. When he [Abu Mas‘ood] finished his prayer, he exclaimed: “Do you not know that this has been deemed prohibited?” He [Huthayfah] replied: “Yes, I remembered this when you pulled me down.” [Abu Daawood]

Moreover, Ibn Mas‘ood may Allaah be pleased with him narrated that the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam (may Allaah exalt his mention) forbade that the Imam should stand on something higher than the people behind him. [Ad-Daaraqutni]

Ash-Shawkaani may Allaah have mercy upon him commented in his book Nayl Al-Awtaar on the narration saying: “It is inferred from this Hadeeth that it is disliked for the Imam to sit in a higher place than those who are present.” [End of quote]

However, if there is a need for the Imam to stand in a higher position, it is not disliked for him to do so as the Prophet sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention) did when he performed the prayer on top of the pulpit so that the people could see him and learn the correct manner of performing the prayer, as authentically narrated in Saheeh Al-Bukhaari.

Allah Knows best.

Islamweb

Summary
The best and prescribed way to design a Mosque is for the position of the Imam and that of the congregation to be on the same level. The Platform for the Imam is not required except for Khutbah, demonstration, etc. Imams are to pray on the same height level with the congregation.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by AryEmber(f): 10:48am On Jan 08, 2020
Hmm.... No wonder some come down after salah. Sorry for derailing but I have a question and I don't want to open a thread, can I pray in a cement shop on a dusty mat? i can't get water to wash the mat but i dusted it with broom

6 Likes

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Rashduct4luv(m): 4:02pm On Jan 08, 2020
AryEmber:
Hmm.... No wonder some come down after salah. Sorry for derailing but I have a question and I don't want to open a thread, can I pray in a cement shop on a dusty mat? i can't get water to wash the mat but i dusted it with broom

Actually the platform is not needed except in some cases. Read the last paragraph and summary above.
Ordinarily dust does not make things impure. We use dust for tayammum! Dust it well so that it won't stain you as in personal cleanliness.

13 Likes

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by AryEmber(f): 4:10pm On Jan 08, 2020
Rashduct4luv:

Actually the platform is not needed except in some cases. Read the last paragraph and summary above.
Ordinarily dust does not make things impure. We use dust for tayammum! Dust it well so that it won't stain you as in personal cleanliness.
Not ordinary, talking of cement dust.

1 Like

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Rashduct4luv(m): 4:18pm On Jan 08, 2020
AryEmber:
Not ordinary, talking of cement dust.

It doesn't. Just dust it to avoid the stain. Dust is not like Excreta and urine.

7 Likes

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by AryEmber(f): 4:41pm On Jan 08, 2020
Rashduct4luv:

It doesn't. Just dust it to avoid the stain. Dust is not like Excreta and urine.
Ok, thanks. Jazakallahu khayran

8 Likes

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by DennisEche(m): 9:26am On Jan 24, 2020
IT IS FRIDAY AGAIN,BUT OP CAN IMAM FART WHILE LEADING PRAYERS?

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by advocatejare(m): 9:28am On Jan 24, 2020
Observing
Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by AIIah: 9:30am On Jan 24, 2020
Why not

1 Like

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 24, 2020
Mnnh, watching.
Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by kareemkamil(m): 9:32am On Jan 24, 2020
Yes, even when he step forward, is already above others.
Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by OhiOfIhima: 9:39am On Jan 24, 2020
DennisEche:

The Imam fart n leave for the Ladani to continue the prayer or anyone close.. Imam is human like us brother not aliens..

9 Likes

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Ola260: 9:44am On Jan 24, 2020
Rashduct4luv:
Question
Assalam 'alaykum, Please i need a comprehensive evidence that prohibits the Imam having an elevated platform higher than the rest of the congregation for Salah.

Answer
All perfect praise be to Allah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that none is worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) is His slave and messenger.

Based on proofs reported in this regard, scholars deduced that it is disliked for the Imam to stand in a higher place than the worshippers during the congregational prayer for no need. For instance, it has been narrated on the authority of Hammaam may Allaah have mercy upon him that Huthayfah may Allaah be pleased with him once led the people in prayer in Al-Madaa’in (in Iraq) while standing on a bench. Abu Mas‘ood may Allaah be pleased with him took him by his shirt and pulled him down. When he [Abu Mas‘ood] finished his prayer, he exclaimed: “Do you not know that this has been deemed prohibited?” He [Huthayfah] replied: “Yes, I remembered this when you pulled me down.” [Abu Daawood]

Moreover, Ibn Mas‘ood may Allaah be pleased with him narrated that the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam (may Allaah exalt his mention) forbade that the Imam should stand on something higher than the people behind him. [Ad-Daaraqutni]

Ash-Shawkaani may Allaah have mercy upon him commented in his book Nayl Al-Awtaar on the narration saying: “It is inferred from this Hadeeth that it is disliked for the Imam to sit in a higher place than those who are present.” [End of quote]

However, if there is a need for the Imam to stand in a higher position, it is not disliked for him to do so as the Prophet sallallaahu`alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention) did when he performed the prayer on top of the pulpit so that the people could see him and learn the correct manner of performing the prayer, as authentically narrated in Saheeh Al-Bukhaari.

Allah Knows best.

Islamweb

Summary
The best and prescribed way to design a Mosque is for the position of the Imam and that of the congregation to be on the same level. The Platform for the Imam is not required except for Khutbah, demonstration, etc. Imams are to pray on the same height level with the congregation.
So whats d meaning of minbar if imam and congregation are to be on same level
Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by BlackSeptember: 9:47am On Jan 24, 2020
DennisEche:
Farthing is not permissible in the mosque.

During the time of Iril bin Ahmad, he asked the Prophet Mohammad S.A.W are the impure things that one shouldn't do during prayers and the Prophet replied

3 Likes

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Newnas(m): 9:50am On Jan 24, 2020
Ola260:

Mimbar is where Imam climbs to address the congregation not where he climbs to lead them in prayer. This is one thing and that is another.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Newnas(m): 9:51am On Jan 24, 2020
JazaakumuLLaahu khayraa dear OP.

There are many other errors we make when building our mosques, I've wanted to write on them for a long time but hopefully I'll list them here;

First is making the Imam's place a cubicle such that many of congregation can't see him during the prayer.

Consider the picture below, you see how everyone on the first row can see the Imam unlike our mosques here where the Imam enters an enclave which hides him from the congregation. The implication is that the enclave makes it difficult for the congregation to take cue by the Imam as commanded in the Hadith: the Imam has there to be followed

Also, many mosques build their toilets facing the qiblah. While there's a difference of opinion on this matter, it's safer to avoid it (at least to respect those who believe it's not permissible).

Also included is no separating male and female entrances and passages. This leads to freemixing and many sick-minded youths take advantage of this to turn the mosque to a hookup zone.

We ask Allaah for safety.

Also is that many mosques do not conceal their toilets from the public. It's a well-known principle in the books of fiqh that one should distance or conceal himself while answering the call of nature so as not to disturb others with obnoxious sounds, smell or sights.

Lastly, many mosques do not place sufficient barricades between urinals therefore making it possible for two people easing themselves to see each other's privacy. This needs to be corrected. The privacy of a man is from his navel to his knees and only his wife is allowed to see it.

We ask Allaah for tawfeeq.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by DennisEche(m): 9:59am On Jan 24, 2020
OhiOfIhima:

The Imam fart n leave for the Ladani to continue the prayer or anyone close.. Imam is human like us brother not aliens..
BlackSeptember:
Farthing is not permissible in the mosque.

During the time of Iril bin Ahmad, he asked the Prophet Mohammad S.A.W are the impure things that one shouldn't do during prayers and the Prophet replied
THANK YOU
Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Cyoung4real(m): 10:09am On Jan 24, 2020
I don't believe in you shit, I just wanna read your joke of a regulations

6 Likes

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:17am On Jan 24, 2020
Ola260:

To give lectures, etc as the case may be. So that more people can see the Imam during demonstrations!

1 Like

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:23am On Jan 24, 2020
Newnas:
JazaakumuLLaahu khayraa dear OP.

There are many other errors we make when building our mosques, I've wanted to write on them for a long time but hopefully I'll list them here;

First is making the Imam's place a cubicle such that many of congregation can't see him during the prayer.

Consider the picture below, you see how everyone on the first row can see the Imam unlike our mosques here where the Imam enters an enclave which hides him from the congregation. The implication is that the enclave makes it difficult for the congregation to take cue by the Imam as commanded in the Hadith: the Imam has there to be followed

Also, many mosques build their toilets facing the qiblah. While there's a difference of opinion on this matter, it's safer to avoid it (at least to respect those who believe it's not permissible).

Also included is no separating male and female entrances and passages. This leads to freemixing and many sick-minded youths take advantage of this to turn the mosque to a hookup zone.

We ask Allaah for safety.

Also is that many mosques do not conceal their toilets from the public. It's a well-known principle in the books of fiqh that one should distance or conceal himself while answering the call of nature so as not to disturb others with obnoxious sounds, smell or sights.

Lastly, many mosques do not place sufficient barricades between urinals therefore making it possible for two people easing themselves to see each other's privacy. This needs to be corrected. The privacy of a man is from his navel to his knees and only his wife is allowed to see it.

We ask Allaah for tawfeeq.
`

Lovely & Coincise, Shukran bro!

2 Likes

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by popweezy(m): 11:05am On Jan 24, 2020
I love my Muslim brothers, they just ignore all those people abusing Islam as if they are not with brains..baarakallahu fiikum

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Newnas(m): 11:19am On Jan 24, 2020
Rashduct4luv:
`

Lovely & Coincise, Shukran bro!

Aameen
Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Adekunlemustaph(m): 3:20pm On Jan 24, 2020

You can as well get a rag/duster aside to clean it after dusting with broom. Get a big nylon to rap the mat (if possible) to keep it from dust
Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by SlimzyNoni(f): 4:29pm On Jan 24, 2020
Yes you can pray on it,
Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by abuabdrahman(m): 5:25am On Jan 25, 2020
Jabioro:
Imam supposed to be higher level than the congregation so that the congregants can see him and learned on how to slide or hit their heads on the ground.If not hatred, jealousy,envyness how will you be on the same level with Large numbers of people and you are expected a far back fellow to see you on hear you..Thank God for western education that invented sound equipment like loud speaker, amplifiers and other aided intrustruments..As now I am still wondering what Arab education had invented..Yet they killed anyone willing to acquire western education
Western education should also have invented antidote for death ,by then we will solemnly follow them but if they cant then know that some of their inventions may debar human from Allah's favour
Re: Can the Imam Stand Higher Than Those Behind Him for Prayer? by Jabioro: 5:38am On Jan 25, 2020
abuabdrahman:

Western education should also have invented antidote for death ,by then we will solemnly follow them but if they cant then know that some of their inventions may debar human from Allah's favour
Nonsense,Which Allah favour..you meant the barbarian barbaric life? If you know how many life havw been lost sue to your Allah course,you will understood it took more life than any dangerous invention..Take Western invention from Muslim/Islamic life let have the remaining..The Saudi can't do without western nose ...

(1) (Reply)

Points To Assist A Declining Marriage / Useful Smartphone Apps for Muslims / Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.