Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,087 members, 7,818,261 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis (843 Views)

5 Strong Reasons Why Chelsea Might Defeat Arsenal In The Community Shield / 9 Reasons Why Chelsea Will Win The Uefa Championship League! / Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by bxg(m): 12:40am On Dec 04, 2010
Chelsea have taken four points from 15, lost top spot and face Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United and Arsenal this month

Ray Wilkins's unsettling departure

Chelsea retain the capacity to self-destruct. The narrow victory over Fulham last month appeared to have exorcised the sloppy defeat by Liverpool and had ensured a four-point lead again at the top of the table, yet straight after that win the club's hierarchy rejected stability and dismissed the assistant first-team coach, Ray Wilkins.

Whether Wilkins was integral to the champions' tactical preparations is open to question given that Ancelotti and Paul Clement are the team's main coaches. But his abrupt dismissal – he was informed by the chief executive, Ron Gourlay, at half-time of a reserve game at Cobham – removed a figure much liked by the players and served only to unsettle.

Why not allow Wilkins's contract to run to its conclusion? And if Roman Abramovich, the owner, deemed him surplus to requirements, why had he not been discarded last summer when the deed could have been done out of the limelight? The sacking lacked class and disturbed the . This was an unwelcome reminder of the tail end to the José Mourinho era at the club, when the Portuguese had resisted attempts to remove his No2, Steve Clarke.

Likewise the imposition of Michael Emenalo, the head of opposition scouting, as Wilkins's replacement invited comparisons to Avram Grant's appointment as director of football in 2007 and appeared to undermine Ancelotti at a time when he should still have been lauded for winning last season's Double. Manager and club have publicly claimed the significance of the episode was exaggerated, the PR clean-up in full swing. Regardless, it all felt unnecessary. The trauma was self-inflicted and the subsequent quibble over compensation undignified.

Lack of investment in signings

The summer's transfer policy had been about cost-cutting, the owner keen for Chelsea to be more self-sufficient and understandably intent on seeing a return on his investment in the academy. Joe Cole, Michael Ballack and Juliano Belletti were released. Deco and Ricardo Carvalho were sold, along with numerous youngsters who were deemed not quite to have made the grade.

The only arrivals were Yossi Benayoun, a bit-part player at Liverpool, and Ramires, whose pursuit had apparently been driven from above and who would need time to settle into new surroundings, just as Yuri Zhirkov had 12 months earlier. This left the squad with a flimsy feel, the sense nagging that an opportunity to send out a message of intent, not least to the emerging nouveaux riches of Manchester City, had been missed.

Nothing better illustrates the recent shift in emphasis at Chelsea than their transfer policy, with the lavish spending of the early Abramovich era a thing of the past. Of the 25 names that could have been submitted to the Premier League in September, Chelsea proposed only 19, three of whom were goalkeepers. The management remained publicly bullish, pointing to the success enjoyed the previous season by the bulk of the squad and to the young talent emerging through the ranks, but maintaining standards would surely require the team's most inspirational players to remain fit and available.

Injuries to key personnel

The worst-case scenario for Ancelotti was to lose his senior players, the talismans who have hauled the side out of slumps in the past, but it has been those key players who have cluttered up the treatment room. Frank Lampard has not featured since August, his recovery from surgery on a hernia set back by a hamstring tendon injury and, subsequently, an adductor muscle strain. The team are not used to being without his metronomic 20-goal presence. "We've missed his goals and you can see we have had difficulty scoring from midfield recently," said the manager, though Lampard's absence was merely compounded as other seniors dropped like flies.

John Terry returns on Saturday with Chelsea having gleaned a solitary point from three games while he received treatment on a sciatic nerve problem. Alex, his right knee inflamed since the Liverpool defeat, has not been himself while awaiting arthroscopic surgery and will miss up to two months having had the joint flushed out. Didier Drogba has not scored a league goal since the first week in October having played despite being physically drained by the effects of a belatedly identified bout of malaria. Petr Cech aside, the spine of this side has been absent or off colour, leaving the defence leaky and the attack blunt.

"Everything has been wrong," Ancelotti said. "We went from scoring with 21% of our shots to 6%." For once the statistics are anything but deceptive.

The youngsters are not ready to step in

The injuries and transfer policy have placed an unfair emphasis on the youngsters. Frank Arnesen, when announcing his resignation last weekend, claimed his mission to develop players capable of playing a part in the first team had been fulfilled. The FA Youth Cup had been won for the first time in 49 years, with a generation of genuine talent emerging. There was the exciting young Frenchman Gaël Kakuta, the Dutch international Jeffrey Bruma, the marauding full-back Patrick van Aanholt and, above all, the classy midfield prospect Josh McEachran.

Each has shown promise and, in flashes, excelled. Yet none is ready to fill the void left by a Michael Essien, a Lampard or a Terry. Such talent was supposed to be drip-fed into the team. Necessity has forced Ancelotti to cram his bench with youngsters and, with his side suddenly sloppy and often left to chase games, it is to these youth-team graduates that the champions have turned for a spark. Such tactics may work at other levels in the Premier League but they are unrealistic if the aim is to maintain a title challenge.

Perversely, the threat exists that some of these young players are growing frustrated at a perceived lack of opportunities. Fabio Borini has been frozen out all year with contract talks at an impasse and Kakuta's deal expires in the summer, with Milan and Bayern Munich circling and spying a bargain.

Indiscipline and lack of focus

Ancelotti has bemoaned his side's lack of desire in recent games, claiming the team were capable of doing better than they had in the absence of Terry and Lampard. Much of the focus was drawn by the inexplicably poor 3-0 home defeat by Sunderland but it is away from Stamford Bridge where Chelsea have been exposed more regularly.

They have conceded early goals in their past four away fixtures and recovered only once – at Blackburn – scoring only three times on their league travels since mid-September. Injuries have played their part but some of this side's wounds have been of their own making. Essien's goal beat Fulham but his reckless, two-footed lungetowards Clint Dempsey in stoppage-time was the true legacy of that victory. The Ghanaian provides so much of Chelsea's dynamism and, even if he was hampered by a slight toe problem, he was sorely missed against Sunderland, Birmingham and Newcastle and must now make amends.

"He knows he made a mistake and I'm sure he won't repeat it," Ancelotti said. "I've spoken to him about having more control, above all in the last minute of the game. We have missed his character and personality in midfield, just as we've missed Terry's at the back. Now we must move on and recover. My players recognise this as one of the most important parts of the season. I saw a fantastic reaction last year when we were in a bad moment. Now I want to see the same again." The revival must start now.

gotten 4rm http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/dec/03/chelsea-crisis-five-reasons
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by switch47(m): 6:33am On Dec 04, 2010
@ POST

NOTHING CAN BE BETTER WRITTEN THAN THE ABOVE LOVELY ARTICLE, cHELSEA IS DOOMED BUT I DONT AGEE THEY ARE HAEDING TOWARDS A CRISIS BETTER PUT THEY ARE HAEDING TOWARDS DOOM and toal destruction . cheesy cheesy

i will be updating this thread as well. hahahahhahahahahahhaha ha!
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by bxg(m): 9:59am On Dec 04, 2010
switch47:

@ POST

NOTHING CAN BE BETTER WRITTEN THAN THE ABOVE LOVELY ARTICLE, cHELSEA IS DOOMED BUT I DONT AGEE THEY ARE HAEDING TOWARDS A CRISIS BETTER PUT THEY ARE HAEDING TOWARDS DOOM and toal destruction . cheesy cheesy

. grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by codeb(m): 10:12am On Dec 04, 2010
@SWITCH47,bxg

I doubt if you will be updating this thread like you said,ask me why.

we are back!!!
Love to see the expressions on your faces when we start demolishing teams like its running out of fashion.
Cheers.
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by bxg(m): 6:17pm On Dec 04, 2010
codeb:

@SWITCH47,bxg

we are back!!!
Love to see the expressions on your faces when we start demolishing teams like its running out of fashion.
Cheers.

switch wen is ar u goin 2 start demolishin dose teams u talked abt useless club where una dey ur nxt 4 matches Spurs, man utd, bolton and villa una go hear am dis december grin grin grin grin
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by switch47(m): 7:09pm On Dec 04, 2010
codeb:

@SWITCH47,bxg

we are back!!!
Love to see the expressions on your faces[b] when we start demolishing teams like its running out of fashion.[/b]
Cheers.

hehehehehhehehehehhehehehe excuse me sir did you say demolish? hahahahaha grin grin grin just like you just did to Everton some minutes ago?! haha you know what? the worst is yet to come because boom comes your doom!! Arsenal fc is now ahead of chelsea Fc chai i never knew this will come this soon. anyway Chelsea will keep losing points till year end JT or no JT CHELSEA IS DOOMED!!

@ Bxg

Wetin is your problem sef, Na me be chelsea fan? God forbid!!
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by bxg(m): 8:23pm On Dec 04, 2010
switch47:

hehehehehhehehehehhehehehe excuse me sir did you say demolish? hahahahaha grin grin grin just like you just did to Everton some minutes ago?! haha you know what? the worst is yet to come because boom comes your doom!! Arsenal fc is now ahead of chelsea Fc chai i never knew this will come this soon. anyway Chelsea will keep losing points till year end JT or no JT CHELSEA IS DOOMED!!

@ Bxg

Wetin is your problem sef, Na me be chelsea fan? God forbid!!

mistake i taught u were a chelsea fan bloody chavs up nxt white hart lane cool
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 05, 2010
For me the only reason Chelsea bridge is down, is because Abramovich use the money he supposed to use Bribe premiership Refs and FA to Bribe FIFA for world cup hosting right, so what is happening now is the real Chelsea.
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by bigfather(m): 2:59pm On Dec 05, 2010
kayci_d77:

For me the only reason Chelsea bridge is down, is because Abramovich use the money he supposed to use Bribe premiership Refs and FA to Bribe FIFA for world cup hosting right, so what is happening now is the real Chelsea.

And am sure you were there when he was giving out the bribe abi ?
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by switch47(m): 10:16pm On Dec 05, 2010
@ kayci_d77
i agree with you, but then Roman is a mad man and a criminal , am looking forward to when he will be tired of fumbling chelsea first sack the coach and later sell chelsea like cray fish. Chelsea will soon be gone gor good and will soon be consistent----yes CONSISTENTLY IN MID TABLE where they truly belong! The team suck, their premier league silverware is the biggest fluke of the century and half ther fans are GLORY HUNTERS.

The Next premiership fixture is SPURS vs Chelsea and i am realy hoping Chelsea will lose all three points their position on the table will however be determined by Man United - Arsenal either of these two teams will win the premiership with the Arsenal likely to win the Carling cup . CHELSEA IS DOOMED

A possibility i will love to see come to reality

I see Manchester city and spurs overtaking Chelsea on the league table pretty soon that is if spur beat chelsea next week.

Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by RuuDie(m): 11:09pm On Dec 06, 2010
Mikel, mikel, mikel, mikel and mikel grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by aieromon(m): 8:03am On Dec 07, 2010
What about Ramires?
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by 1025: 8:06am On Dec 08, 2010
@ POST

NOTHING CAN BE BETTER WRITTEN THAN THE ABOVE LOVELY ARTICLE, cHELSEA IS DOOMED BUT I DONT AGEE THEY ARE HAEDING TOWARDS A CRISIS BETTER PUT THEY ARE HAEDING TOWARDS DOOM and toal destruction . Cheesy Cheesy

@switch,
one of the most outstanding xteristics of poor man is bad mouth.
a clearner in chelsea is and will remain relevant more than u in ur 2000 yrs on earth.
a club that won double last season is not doomed if they win nothing this season.
if u see that as doom, then arsenal has been doomed for 5 seasons.
i wonder what arsenal fans are celebrating. every passing season, we see wenger come close to signing the best players in the world and we see the club come close to winning everything.
i have said it and i will say it again here, my fear is never arsenal rather man u and man city.
in the presence of all problems, chelsea is just two points behind the most successful club in the history of football(arsenal) so i wonder what will happen if the club is not facing any problem.
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by RuuDie(m): 12:39pm On Dec 08, 2010
aieromon:

What about Ramires?

Oh ok. . . . i rephrase

Mikel, Hilario, Ramires, Ferreira, Anelka grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by bxg(m): 5:09pm On Dec 10, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Five Reasons Why Chelsea's Season Is Heading Towards Crisis by switch47(m): 11:17pm On Dec 10, 2010
1025:

@switch,
one of the most outstanding xteristics of poor man is bad mouth.
a clearner in chelsea is and will remain relevant more than u in your 2000 yrs on earth.
a club that won double last season is not doomed if they win nothing this season.
if u see that as doom, then arsenal has been doomed for 5 seasons.
i wonder what arsenal fans are celebrating. every passing season, we see wenger come close to signing the best players in the world and we see the club come close to winning everything.
i have said it and i will say it again here, my fear is never arsenal rather man u and man city.
in the presence of all problems, chelsea is just two points behind the most successful club in the history of football(arsenal) so i wonder what will happen if the club is not facing any problem.

If you are so worried about them Arsenal why not go meet Wenger grin grin Na me get the club ?? as for Chelsea the Club is DOOMED go call police and as per being a poor man not as relevant as chelsea's cleaner how you take know sef, I BE CLEANER FOR Babanawa fc and very soon i go be cleaner for Sunshine FC at least i dey go up unlike chelsea that is going down the drain. what a mumulistic club, very soon they will be back where they belong MID TABLE!! Chelsea has died finish! grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Liverpool / Manu Vs Bayern; Prematch / updated- Betting Predictions: Spain Vs Rep Of Ireland || Itally Vs Croatia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.