Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? (5988 Views)

Bride’s Relative Steals Dowry In Kano / What Is The Penalty Given To A Man Who Didn't Pay Lady's Dowry Before She Died? / After 46 Years Of Marriage, 84-year-old Man Pays His Wife Dowry (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by Homeboiy: 2:53pm On Jan 08, 2020
This is confusing me,even when I checked goggle,all am seeing is pictures of properties bought for the girls family.

Can someone break it down for me in a Nigerian way?

Re: What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by Abfinest007(m): 2:57pm On Jan 08, 2020
The difference is clear my brother dowry is d one paid by people like Dogote why bride price is d one paid by people like legbegbe.in dowry d d families involved cry that they will miss d person why in bride price d families will be happy for take liability from them
wait make i go break
Re: What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 08, 2020
Homeboiy:
This is confusing me,even when I checked goggle,all am seeing is pictures of properties bought for the girls family.

Can someone break it down for me in a Nigerian way?
dowry is when the family of the wife to be pay some certain amount of money to the family of the husband. and this is practiced in society like India while bride price is when the family of the man pay some certain amount of money to the family of the wife, which is what we practice in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by Amanee(f): 8:29pm On Jan 08, 2020
I thought they're one and the same thing
Re: What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by Tomjazzy2: 8:44pm On Jan 08, 2020
They both mean the same thing
Re: What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by Jentle244: 8:48pm On Jan 08, 2020
bride price is the money u pay customarily (pending on the tribe) to the parents such as 200, 500, 1000 etc. cause they are not selling their child. While dowry is the items bought by the groom for the bride's family as he is taking their daughter away. some families do list out what they need but it can be negotiated.

Hope I have answered your question

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 08, 2020
The difference is where the resource is coming from.

Bride price is what the groom offers the bride's family. Including everything on the 'list'.

Dowry are the assortments/property or gifts offered to the bride as her entitlements by her own family to carry to her husband's house. Not a common practice.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by chillex8(m): 9:37pm On Jan 08, 2020
Abfinest007:
The difference is clear my brother dowry is d one paid by people like Dogote why bride price is d one paid by people like legbegbe.in dowry d d families involved cry that they will miss d person why in bride price d families will be happy for take liability from them
wait make i go break

1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by ikdaddy01(m): 9:39pm On Jan 08, 2020
Jentle244:
bride price is the money u pay customarily (pending on the tribe) to the parents such as 200, 500, 1000 etc. cause they are not selling their child. While dowry is the items bought by the groom for the bride's family as he is taking their daughter away. some families do list out what they need but it can be negotiated.

Hope I have answered your question
Exactly!!!
Though...Vis a vis.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Bride Price And Dowry? by Octopusssy(f): 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2020
They are very different. The bride price is money paid by the groom to the bride's family as part as the marriage traditional rites, while dowry is the property or material things brought by the bride into the matrimonial home. E.g a bride's dowry could be cooking pots, plates, buckets, jewelry, sewing machine and other bric-a-brac which she will use to start life in her new home.

(1) (Reply)

3 Common Problems That Leads To Crises In Marriage / Lying, Cheating Husband And A Sham Of A Marriage. Where Do I Go From Here? / My Housegirl Is Pregnant!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.