Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Best Dog Breeds For Farms - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Best Dog Breeds For Farms (1583 Views)

Which Of These Dog Breeds Do You Own Or Wish To Own? (Photos) / These Are The Cutest Dog Breeds According To Science (Photos) / Checkout The Most Dangerous DOG Breeds. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Dog Breeds For Farms by Goldicon2(m): 11:34pm On Jan 09, 2020
Hi guys, I'm starting a farm, where I will have, Grasscutters (but in their pen, not running freely) , Fishery and chicken lifestock and I want to know the best dog breeds to have to help against intruders and at the same time not destroying things. My Bully and Neapolitan mastiff definitely won't do the job. Please Help
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by Ejiroemmanuel: 1:57pm On Jan 10, 2020
get a GSD or Caucasian Shepherd dog and train them properly
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by KenechukwuEdu: 6:34pm On Jan 10, 2020
Boerboels are the standard African farm dog

1 Like

Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by Goldicon2(m): 6:36pm On Jan 10, 2020
Thanks
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by KingAfo(m): 7:35pm On Jan 10, 2020
Speaking of intruders? Get a Boerboel.
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by Jaidooo(m): 5:48am On Jan 11, 2020
KenechukwuEdu:
Boerboels are the standard African farm dog
But not animal friendly.
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by Goldicon2(m): 8:15am On Jan 11, 2020
Jaidooo:

But not animal friendly.
in other words? They will destroy my Grasscutter Pen? But with my building plan. They won't have access to where the Pen Is or the Fish Tarpaulin. I just Need something against Intruders and that will be Easy for my mom to Handle. Because my Bully is a pocket Bully and my Pet I don't take him for a guard dog and my Neapolitan Mastiff, my mom don use Food spoil am, he has become too heavy and I doubt if he can do the Job.
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by neronito: 11:36am On Jan 11, 2020
Get a purebred Rottweiler or a Boerboel from parents with such experience, cos most boerboels nowadays are just couch potatoes!
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by Goldicon2(m): 2:15pm On Jan 11, 2020
neronito:
Get a purebred Rottweiler or a Boerboel from parents with such experience, cos most boerboels nowadays are just couch potatoes!
Rott? Is that Good for a farm?
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by KenechukwuEdu: 8:25pm On Jan 11, 2020
Jaidooo:
But not animal friendly.
A very false claim
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by KenechukwuEdu: 8:26pm On Jan 11, 2020
Goldicon2:
in other words? They will destroy my Grasscutter Pen? But with my building plan. They won't have access to where the Pen Is or the Fish Tarpaulin. I just Need something against Intruders and that will be Easy for my mom to Handle. Because my Bully is a pocket Bully and my Pet I don't take him for a guard dog and my Neapolitan Mastiff, my mom don use Food spoil am, he has become too heavy and I doubt if he can do the Job.
Disregard the guy that said they are not animal friendly, I'm sure he isn't too familiar with the breed
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by IamAnderson(m): 7:58am On Jan 12, 2020
Goldicon2:
I would have recommended Caucasian because they can be trained to be animal friendly easily and they are not high energy dogs so they won't be destroying your pens if you know what you're doing.
the only issue now is that they weren't designed to do that work under this our African heat, if you don't have proper shelter for the dog the dog will be affected by the heat.

I'd advise you to go for the boerbel, they are also farm dogs and they are more resistant to heat, just train them well and you'll be fine.
don't go for a high energy dog if not you'll regret it, don't also go for a dog with high prey drive
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by IamAnderson(m): 8:02am On Jan 12, 2020
neronito:
since when did Rottweilers become farm dogs?
you do know guarding property or a house isn't the same as guarding a farm right?
Rottweilers are not Shepherd dogs at all
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by IamAnderson(m): 8:14am On Jan 12, 2020
Goldicon2:
Because my Bully is a pocket Bully and my Pet I don't take him for a guard dog and my Neapolitan Mastiff, my mom don use Food spoil am, he has become too heavy and I doubt if he can do the Job.
it's not about weight tho lol, a dog that has been trained to be a Shepherd dog will still carry itself more than you think.
Neapolitan mastiffs are not farm dogs, they are not a good pick for you.
traditionally, Shepherd dogs are usually big dogs because the size is intimidating to potential threats, they are more resistant to weather, they are stronger and can take down bigger threats, they are usually more independent so in case the farmer isn't around they will still do their work without commands e.t.c

don't use size to judge the effectiveness of a dog
if you want a dog that'll guard your farm look for these qualities;
independence, they must be able to stay on their own most of the day without having separation anxiety, and they must know how to work with instincts and not commands

low energy and low prey drive, don't go for a dog that is too energetic if not the dog can get bored one day and decide to start chewing around your farm, a dog with high prey drive might be tempted to pick on your livestock if excited.

intimidating, get a dog that even before it attacks, the mere sight alone will make any intruder think before proceeding.

goodluck on your farm wink
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by Namdeenero(m): 10:16am On Jan 12, 2020
Get a Boerboel and a local dog... Thank me later wink
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by Abimbola198212: 1:08pm On Jan 12, 2020
Get a male rotti...I have 1.....08025374243
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by jizzyfarms(m): 2:28pm On Jan 12, 2020
Pack of Local dogs make great farm guard dogs, pack of 4 to 5, or better still get a gsd and a local dog, or a boerboel n a local dog like my oga above said, Local dogs are great in guarding farms
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by suzzyboss(m): 4:19pm On Jan 12, 2020
A very good gsd like mine.. We do animal farming.. We have chicken ,turkey sometimes we have rams.. My dog do not harm those ones but and intruder.. ( human, chicken ,lizard, rat, even cockroaches) they'll attack .. A sharp gsd anyday any time. ... I have one very sharp one in my female litters if you are interested.. 0.7.0.1.2.3.9.1.1.1.3
Re: Best Dog Breeds For Farms by Spanishmilf(m): 6:05pm On Jan 12, 2020
Goldicon2:
Hi guys, I'm starting a farm, where I will have, Grasscutters (but in their pen, not running freely) , Fishery and chicken lifestock and I want to know the best dog breeds to have to help against intruders and at the same time not destroying things. My Bully and Neapolitan mastiff definitely won't do the job. Please Help
Boerboel
Boerboel
Boerboel
I have them available
Puppy dey
Semi-adult dey
Adult dey
Gsd is also good available also

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

SOLD!!!! An Adolescent Gsd and Female puppy available for the price of one @ 35k / Caucasians And German Shepherd Dogs For Sale. / All Going For 10k......call Now(Rabbits)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.