Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,251 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria (33549 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Davidflight: 2:19am On Jan 11, 2020
If you plan to migrate to Australia from Nigeria or spend a few months there on a visit, owing or renting a personal car could be a strong option for you to consider.

This is for obvious reasons. Most of the country’s locations are only accessible by car. More so, Australia is a spacious country with long distances connecting the cities with remote areas. So, the fastest way to get into the city is by using a private car. Plus, it affords you comfort and convenience.

However, it’s not entirely easy to drive in Australia, especially as a new Immigrant from Nigeria. The country’s driving rules largely differ from what obtains in Nigeria. For instance, the madness drivers exhibit on the Nigerian roads and the loose traffic rules that operate in the country do not happen in Australia. There, you must know and drive according to the rules, else, you risk facing the wrath of its laws.

Indeed, driving and traffic rules in Australia can be confusing to you as a newbie when you migrate to Australia from Nigeria for the first time. Simple things like driving on either the right or left side of the lanes can throw you off balance. The reason is simple; you are used to driving from the left-handed side of the driver’s seat in Nigeria. So, you’ll find it a little difficult to acclimate in Australia where you’ll mostly operate from the right-handed side. Traffic rules and road patterns are equally areas that can give you challenges

Driving Requirements to Meet When You Migrate from Nigeria to Australia

Good thing, you can drive in Australia with your Nigerian driver’s license. The rule only applies to migrants whose license is in English. But you’re allowed for only a three-month period. And if your license doesn’t have a passport photograph, you’ll have to take another means of identification that bears your photo along.

So, these are the requirements to drive for the first time include:

A valid driver's license or your International Driving Permit
. This must be in English. 
You should have at least a compulsory third party personal (CTP) car insurance.
Driving Rules in Australia You Must Observe

Before you hit the road in Australia, please, ensure you've familiarized yourself with the country's traffic rules. Unless you want to get the attention of the law enforcement agency in the country.

Traffic rules in Australia differ across the states. A sure thing is that you’ll always drive on the left side of the road regardless of where you’re in the country.

That notwithstanding, each location has its own distinct traffic rules that guide driving there – a little more like what obtains in Nigeria.

Here Are The Common General Driving Rules in Australia.

Traffic Always on the Right Side: Unlike in Nigeria, most of the cars in Australia come with the driver’s seat on the right side. This may prove strange and discomforting at first. However, you need to develop the consciousness of it.

So, while you prepare to migrate to Australia from Nigeria, bear in mind that the traffic ahead will be on the ride of your lane and look towards it.

Stay on the left side of the lane: You should stay on the left-hand side of the road even after you turn.

Mind the Speed Limits: Over-speeding in Australia is illegal, don’t joke with it. You can’t speed more than 50 to 60 kilometers in an hour. This is between 31 and 35 miles each hour. On the highways, you must not exceed 100 to 110 kilometers per hour or 62 to 68 meters per hour.

See Sign-posts before you make a U-turn: In Nigeria, people make U-turn at nearly every "T-Junction", right? Well, you should leave that lawless habit in Nigeria.

Unless you see a sign that allows you to turn at an intersection, don’t do it. It’s an offense in most of the states except in Victoria and the country’s capital.s

Slow and Fast Lanes: When you’re on a road that has two lanes or more and you are moving a little slower, you should stay in the left lane. The right lane is only when you want to pass.

Driving after taking Alcohol: A few things that are tolerated in Nigeria are serious crimes in Australia. Intoxication with alcohol is one of them. If you drive with over 0.05% alcohol in your blood, you will be exposing yourself to the suspicion and confrontation of the officials. It’s a serious offense to drink-drive in the country.

You’re wondering how they’d know the alcohol level in your blood? Wait until you’re caught first.

Don’t Make a Left Turn on Red: Don’t turn to the left at the red light if you don’t see any sign that allows you to do so.

Observe your Fuel level: Because of how spacious Australia is, you need to prepare yourself on each journey. Most of the petrol stations are far from each other. Also, it’s often difficult to find fuel stations open at night and early in the morning in most of the rural areas – even on Sundays sometimes. So, try to fill up your tank for your journey, especially within the rural areas.

Don’t worry, there’s no traffic law against having a low tank. But the least experience you’ll want to have in Australia is having your car breakdown in the middle of your journey.

Should You Encounter any Emergency: Reach the police in such situations. The emergency dial of the country is 000. There’s an emergency contact to reach in case you encounter a car breakdown, accident, and other emergency situations.

Bonus

It’s not the end of the journey when you migrate to Australia from Nigeria. In fact, it’s the beginning of it. You start a whole new unlearning and learning process. You have to flush out a whole lot of habits and lifestyles that obtain in Nigeria. They’re nearly the opposite of what obtains in developed countries like Australia.

At Travelwahala, we conduct orientation for Nigerian migrants to get them acquainted with the life in Australia and other select travel destinations they’re moving to. That could just be all you need to kick-start a whole new journey of your life in Australia.

https://travelwahala.com/driving-in-australia-all-you-should-know-if-you-want-to-migrate-to-australia-from-nigeria/

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by LordIsaac(m): 3:30am On Jan 11, 2020
And the bush fire...?

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Aidejay(m): 10:20am On Jan 11, 2020
LordIsaac:
And the bush fire...?
ahbi ooh help me ask am

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Davidflight: 5:07pm On Jan 12, 2020
LordIsaac:
And the bush fire...?

...and the bush fire hasn't stopped driving

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Kizzygentle: 8:35am On Jan 14, 2020
Is it only immigrants from Nigeria? If I enter there as a naija nigger. We break rules.. And dey follow.

3 Likes

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by mbahdi(m): 8:36am On Jan 14, 2020
Teach us all we need to know when driving in Nigeria first.wen we get to Australia we learn the one of. Australia

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by ashantitope: 8:36am On Jan 14, 2020
G
Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Rikze: 8:36am On Jan 14, 2020
Na to reach the Australia first be my problem, no be the driving.
By the way trekking in the beautiful streets of Australia is better than driving a car here.

If I get there, I'll help myself.
Person wey never buy motor nor need jack and wheel spanner!

72 Likes

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by kay29000(m): 8:36am On Jan 14, 2020
Hmm. Okay
Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by bukkysam(f): 8:37am On Jan 14, 2020
ok
Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by ugom123: 8:38am On Jan 14, 2020
As usual, blacks cant build any country, we only run to countries where their citizens built. And if we arent checked properly, we may destroy the country too grin grin grin

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by bestman09(m): 8:38am On Jan 14, 2020
grin

Good to go. Help me God to go ahead in this year 2020

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Cutezt(m): 8:39am On Jan 14, 2020
Great
Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Simplebeauty: 8:39am On Jan 14, 2020
grin
thanks for sharing
Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Rikze: 8:41am On Jan 14, 2020
I dey come...
Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by money121(m): 8:41am On Jan 14, 2020
Ok

1 Like

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Coldie(m): 8:42am On Jan 14, 2020
Australia a very large country yet they have roads.

But Nigeria we keep blaming that our country is too big as a reason for no roads.

15 Likes

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by cRobo: 8:43am On Jan 14, 2020
smiley

1 Like

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Smellingrillmea: 8:44am On Jan 14, 2020
[url][/url]I Bullock I have lived in Australia nsw for 1o years now .....driving is very easy you will adapt faster than you know
Slow and fast lane only above 70 speed
International drivers license only to be used 3 months and u have to change to nsw license were u do a computer test and u drive cost is like 100 box
I speed on a reg and I have never gotten a fine
Drink lots of coffee and water after drinking and go under the speed limit very slim chance of you getting caught especially if you go the back roads

And finally if u have ur CAR breakdown on the m1 or on any RTA road it is free towing.....and most cars have road side assist

Pls dont dial 000 for car breakdown
It is for life threatening emergencies
U will be fined
Pls stop feeding people lies

Omg u can make a left turn on a red if u are already ahead of the intersection..
Pls were did you get all this trash from

11 Likes

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Nobody: 8:44am On Jan 14, 2020
Be wary of snakes, kangaroos, wild fire lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Mutemenot(m): 8:44am On Jan 14, 2020
Teach us how to get there, when we reach we will over one their driving rules grin

7 Likes

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by DonFreshmoney(m): 8:45am On Jan 14, 2020
sad angry

Some people for Nairaland wey never even know where airport is located not to talk of entering plane.. how you want them to go to Australia?
Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Pidginwhisper: 8:46am On Jan 14, 2020
grin
Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by ABSTRUSE: 8:46am On Jan 14, 2020
Make I reach there first

1 Like

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by bligs: 8:47am On Jan 14, 2020
"But you’re allowed for only a three-month period"

You can actually use your overseas license to drive for up to six months and state like Victoria just introduce this law last October, before you can use overseas license to drive in Victoria for as long as you want.

2 Likes

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by Pedrotina11: 8:48am On Jan 14, 2020
OK..driving in Australia...really? Though its mid west in Australia as in horse is the means of transport there... Ah too much documentary watching..God take me out i have watch too much documentary I need to see with my eyes.
Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by alizma: 8:48am On Jan 14, 2020
Good article for 2020, who knows, maybe na the country wey God won send me to this year.

1 Like

Re: All You Should Know About Driving In Australia As A New Immigrant From Nigeria by xbox360: 8:49am On Jan 14, 2020
Nice info

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NURTW Chairmen In Various States In Nigeria / Snake Killed At The Back Of Hotel I Lodged In Ado Ekiti (Photos) / Pictures And Observations From My Trip To Ijebu-jesa, A Town In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.