Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,315 members, 7,957,830 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:23 PM

Hiphop "beefs" Good Or Bad? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Hiphop "beefs" Good Or Bad? (652 Views)

Modenine Beefs Alaba Boys / Modenine Opens Up On Ruggedman Beefs + He Beefs Saucekid Not! / Beefs You Would Love To See (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hiphop "beefs" Good Or Bad? by ElRazur: 10:56am On Dec 05, 2010
It is clear to see that loads of poster here appear to be keen on beef and war of words of some kind. I am just wondering if people can give an insight as to why the interest in this pure form of lyrical hatred and dislike is gaining momentum?

Don't get me wrong, I was a former fan of beef from the days of Grand Master Flash using subtle diss to aim shots at rival etc down to Tupac and Biggie which eventually turned ugly in real life more or less. I think the turning point for me was when I heard Tupac died and beef wasn't just something I wanted to be a part of any more.

Fast forward some years down and it was Nas and JayZ, I have to say I was once again excited, but the fear it may turned ugly again one again killed the excitement for me. As it stand so far, there is zero interest in beef for me any more.

Now, it appear that it is taking hold of naija music scene where some one must announce his arrival in the music industry via dissing another established name.

While "dissing" is not new to the Nigerian music scene, with peeps like Sunny Ade and Ebenezer Obey, Barrister and Kollington, Obesere and Kwam 1 all taking subliminal shots at each other.

I feel the new generation now are much more bolder and more aggressive in their approach. One thing that baffles me is that there appears to be more and more interest than ever, and with little care that it may actually turn ugly.

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to ask is that why do you like beefs in Hiphop?
Re: Hiphop "beefs" Good Or Bad? by IBEXY(m): 11:40am On Dec 05, 2010
ElRazur:

Don't get me wrong, I was a former fan of beef from the days of Grand Master Flash using subtle diss to aim shots at rival etc down to Tupac and Biggie which eventually turned ugly in real life more or less. I think the turning point for me was when I heard Tupac died and beef wasn't just something I wanted to be a part of any more.
First of all I would like to differ on this one. Contrary to what was [b]manufactured [/b]for the general public to believe, 2pac was not murdered by Biggie and the East coast because of the preceding verbal wrangling they had. Its widely believed (and I believe it too) that Suge Knight and Deathrow records know about what happened to 2pac. Its believed they also master minded the demise of Biggie to make it look like the west coast retaliated. The hit on 2pac was carried out by corrupt LAPD cops on Deathrow's payroll. Think about it. He was shot down in broad day light. On a very busy night (Mike Tyson was fighting). Of course there was massive police presence that night as well. Till date, nothing came of it. Enough said.

On you issue of rap beefs. Dont be deceived. Most of the [b]supposed [/b]beefs are fake and engineered to get attention and subsequently massive sales. Refer back to the west/east cost era. Everyone waited for the next obnoxious rhymes coming from either of the main actors. Who gained? The record companies.

Its a known fact artistes would deliberately indulge in the outrageous to get attention. Not only through public verbal clashes but via shameful acts like having sex in public or rolling around in vomit at a club etc. Wait a few days later and with the newspaper front pages still hot with their last misdemeanors, they drop an album. Of course it would sell a lot because he just got massive publicity the other day.

In show business, its common to act like you absolutely adore something when in actual fact you cant stand it. Typical example are artistes who suddenly claim they are gay or lesbian. This dude always had a girlfriend until the record company threatened to drop him unless the public show some interest.

There will be mixed reactions. Some will want to kaput him. Others will see it as an opportunity to show everyone how "holier than thou" they are or how far away they have fallen from the tree of barbarism. All in all, its massive publicity and publicity translates to cash.

Another is to continuously flaunt your wealth in such a way as to make people absolutely mad. Dont be surprised they still play your songs just to hear and swear at the latest trash you released (Soulja Boy)

Some even divorced their wives pretending to be the victim of the relationship just to get attention and sympathy. Its all a game.
Re: Hiphop "beefs" Good Or Bad? by ElRazur: 11:47am On Dec 05, 2010
I see your points on the Biggie v Pac thing. We do not know for sure the real details (I am aware the Police office who allegedly shot him is known and what not) But, we cannot ignore that the "Beefs" do not play a part.

As part the point your raised, I already covered them by saying ". . . where some one must announce his arrival in the music industry via dissing another established name. " Don't get me wrong your points are valids in some aspect and at the same time, it will be a bit of a generalisation to suggest all beefs are manufactured. I very much doubt the examples I listed are. In recent memory, Jigga and Nas beef was more an ego thing. Both had it all going on well for them before the beef etc.

Again I have to stress that I agree with you. Lol@soul ja boy.

Now the question is, do you think it is good for hip hop as a form of marketing gimmick?
Re: Hiphop "beefs" Good Or Bad? by hax: 11:52am On Dec 05, 2010
i don't like beef really, i'm kinda indifferent. i like good music. so if someone's hatred for his fellow artiste inspires him to create excellent music (eg takeover, ether, hit 'em up, etc) then so be it. it's the hatred of the police that makes gangsta rap flourish. it's the hatred of discrimination and gangster-ism that makes street poetry and commentary flourish. it's the hatred of women that makes misogynistic music sell. it's the hatred of poverty that makes niqqas rap about selling drugs and bragging about their dough. etc etc

it's all about hatred. tongue

*is a proud hater* tongue

oh and it's not only beef that 'gets ugly'. T.I and Weezy went to jail and it had nothing to do with beef. imo, beef hardly gets ugly anyways. (see: iceberg slim kissing MI's ar-se, jay-z not replying anybody, 9ice and ruggedman, soulja boi dissing lupe fiasco, wale and kid cruddy (sorry, kid cudi, who said i hate him but i won't say anything) nicki minaj and lil kim? c'mon! etc )

edit- and also, most of the beefs we get these days are from people seeking attention and relevance anyways, eg, mc hammer, lil kim, the game, etc etc
when last did we see two BIG rappers like Nas and Jay-Z beefing? now it's one has 500k fans and the other has 50k fans. now all the famous rappers are kissing each others as-ses. see Drake and J. Cole, Kanye and Nicki, etc

the days of beef are gone jor. everybody's vegetarian now. it's better for business. tongue
Re: Hiphop "beefs" Good Or Bad? by ElRazur: 5:40pm On Dec 05, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Invasion+singles By Psquare / Mingestar / What Does It Take To Have A Music Studio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.