Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead (3806 Views)

NCC Changes Nigeria’s Fixed Phone Lines Numbering Format To 10 Digits / Ntel Subscribers Lament: Ntel Finally Dead? / How To Fix “no Permission To Delete File” On Android Device (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by directonpc(m): 12:14pm On Jan 12, 2020
A while ago I shared a post about the MP3 file format and what the future might hold for it. Read below:
You obviously [might] have transferred a song to/from a friend via Bluetooth, iR or wifi, most likely the music file is MP3.

In the early days of the last decade (2010s), some of us even carried an extra device like a portable MP3 Player and the richer kids an iPod wink today thanks to how powerful our phones have become, we don't need an MP3 player anymore.

It is very easy to say that MP3 players are dead, they died in the last decade. But the MP3 file format might not make it past this decade(2020s) too. As our phones become even more powerful and access to the internet becomes easier, we might not need to save offline copies of our favourite songs the old school way of MP3 players. Music streaming services like Spotify are already becoming the preferred way to carry our digital music with us.

Some Advantages of Music Streaming
1. One playlist across devices: You can switch devices and listen to the same songs you love. No stress of transferring music files across your various devices. Same songs on your PC/Mac, Smart TV and Phones, up-to-date and synchronized all the time.
2. Discover good music effortlessly: Spotify and co have a very nice way of recommending songs you might like. You will be amazed by how much good stuff is out there from their unlimited collection of songs.
3. Support your creatives cheesy . : Oh! Yeah!! Music streaming can reduce piracy and help our musicians earn more form their hard work.
4. HQ Music: Expect High Audio Quality from music streaming services. If you ain't getting that maybe you have some data saving settings turned on.

By the end of 2020s (2029) MP3 files might just become vintage like... (do you remember the 3GP video format?). Welcome to 2020 and enjoy technology. Bye-bye for now.

Are you using music streaming services daily yet?
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Timileyin1234(m): 12:35pm On Jan 12, 2020
Sporty in Nigeria with glo network grin

4 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by nitt: 12:35pm On Jan 12, 2020
Lol. Dead ke.

Wen mp3 bluetooth fm transmitters r still the most popular and easy to use gadget for our daily commute

6 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 12, 2020
its quite understandable but i dont think that will happen any time soon

1 Like

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Gmajor(m): 1:27pm On Jan 12, 2020
What nonsense!
Simply because something is applicable abroad does not mean it will be applicable here.
Offline music is not going anywhere

4 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Thebwoy: 1:44pm On Jan 12, 2020
Ok this is mp6

7 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by DesChyko: 2:26pm On Jan 12, 2020
Offline sounds have come a long way. From midi to amr to wav to ogg to aac to mp3.. It will only be replaced by another with a better quality.

1 Like

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by more4rm9ja: 3:28pm On Jan 12, 2020
Was 3gp replaced by streaming?

3 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Ournolly: 3:43pm On Jan 12, 2020
DesChyko:
Offline sounds have come a long way. From midi to amr to wav to ogg to aac to mp3.. It will only be replaced by another with a better quality.
aac to mp3? Is this a joke or what?

5 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by DesChyko: 4:20pm On Jan 12, 2020
Ournolly:

Stop wasting words.
What have you successfully impacted to the audience in that space you used?
Please, rephrase efficiently.

1 Like

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by angelfallz(m): 4:25pm On Jan 12, 2020
directonpc:
A while ago I shared a post about the MP3 file format and what the future might hold for it. Read below:

You have data to waste Abi. Me that can listen to songs on repeat for a whole day, so I'll just be using my data to re-stream and re-stream? No wonder youths complain that data finishes quickly, they are re-streaming

8 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Blastedholligan: 4:32pm On Jan 12, 2020
angelfallz:

You have data to waste Abi. Me that can listen to songs on repeat for a whole day, so I'll just be using my data to re-stream and re-stream? No wonder youths complain that data finishes quickly, they are re-streaming
It's not a waste if you can afford it.
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by angelfallz(m): 4:47pm On Jan 12, 2020
Blastedholligan:
It's not a waste if you can afford it.
True. But it is not worth it. The advantage you claimed, that is streaming across multiple devices, does not exist.

2 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Ournolly: 5:25pm On Jan 12, 2020
DesChyko:

Stop wasting words.
What have you successfully impacted to the audience in that space you used?
Please, rephrase efficiently.
You sounds like a very proud, rude senseless idiot that can never take correction of your senseless rant.

Anyone that knows one or two about audio encoding will be aware that acc was created to succeed mp3, aiming at enhancing the audio quality yet less file size as a result of advanced compression.

Empty heads like you are running over the social media, teaching things you have no idea of and yet too arrogant to learn.
Half education is a very dangerous disease.
aac to mp3 indeed! grin

3 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by DesChyko: 5:42pm On Jan 12, 2020
Ournolly:

You sounds like a very proud, rude senseless idiot that can never take correction of your senseless rant.

Anyone that knows one or two about audio encoding will be aware that acc was created to succeed mp3, aiming at enhancing the audio quality yet less file size as a result of advanced compression.

Empty heads like you are running over the social media, teaching things you have no idea of and yet too arrogant to learn.
Half education is a very dangerous disease.
aac to mp3 indeed! grin

So all you're trying to say is that mp3 comes before aac?
How hard could it been to tell me in your very first quote
'mp3 was invented before aac.'
Stop wasting words. Be effective with your submissions. That way you can actually use proud, rude, senseless, emptyhead, arrogant and half-education without seeming like you're painting a picture of yourself.

Oh, and the beginning of your last post should be 'You sound'. I guess half-educated people know that much.

7 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by joshikenna2: 6:19pm On Jan 12, 2020
LOl. lots of people here actually sound ignorant. All the things you complain about streaming services are WRONG. I'm using spotify and have been for over a year. Lots of my friends use it. I'll tell you one thing, once you start using spotify, you will never go back to downloading music. And by the way, OP is right, downloading will soon die. Those here still supporting mp3s haven't even tried a streaming service before. When you do, you will understand how archaic mp3s are.
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by joshikenna2: 6:23pm On Jan 12, 2020
Guy, sit down and learn, you don't know anything. He is right. AAC succeeded mp3. Spotify even uses AAC

Ournolly:

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by joshikenna2: 6:28pm On Jan 12, 2020
What makes you think you can't listen to songs offline on spotify. I have up to 2000 songs saved offline in my spotify. All streaming services let you save songs offline.

DesChyko:

1 Like

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by DesChyko: 7:16pm On Jan 12, 2020
joshikenna2:
What makes you think you can't listen to songs offline on spotify. I have up to 2000 songs saved offline in my spotify. All streaming services let you save songs offline.

Roger.
Mp3 was fun while it lasted though
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by ddjay: 7:27pm On Jan 12, 2020
Timileyin1234:
Sporty in Nigeria with glo network grin
You just spoke my mind, GLO SLOW
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Timileyin1234(m): 7:28pm On Jan 12, 2020
joshikenna2:

Is Spotify available in Nigeria AppStore

1 Like

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by ddjay: 7:33pm On Jan 12, 2020
directonpc:

Guy lets manage what we have, which is eighter download or convert cds to mp3. The problem here is that streaming will turn this our crooked and thieving telecoms to multibillion pounds companies, they will be making trillions everyday. if you want us to migrate to streaming then make a properly fair billing arrangement with the telcos, most especially glo the snail speed network
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Ournolly: 7:49pm On Jan 12, 2020
DesChyko:

So all you're trying to say is that mp3 comes before aac?
How hard could it been to tell me in your very first quote
'mp3 was invented before aac.'
Stop wasting words. Be effective with your submissions. That way you can actually use proud, rude, senseless, emptyhead, arrogant and half-education without seeming like you're painting a picture of yourself.

Oh, and the beginning of your last post should be 'You sound'. I guess half-educated people know that much.

Lol grin
He won't take correction, will he?
Cyber thugs on the loose. grin
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Ournolly: 7:59pm On Jan 12, 2020
joshikenna2:
Guy, sit down and learn, you don't know anything. He is right. AAC succeeded mp3. Spotify even uses AAC

grin cheesy
You are either disoriented or you do not understand English as you agreed with my point and I still said I don't know anything.

I sincerely hope and believe the former is the case and not the later as it will be really tragic that a bloke with hairs in both his public and private parts cannot comprehend one line sentence.
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by directonpc(m): 8:02pm On Jan 12, 2020
ddjay:

Guy lets manage what we have, which is eighter download or convert cds to mp3. The problem here is that streaming will turn this our crooked and thieving telecoms to multibillion pounds companies, they will be making trillions everyday. if you want us to migrate to streaming then make a properly fair billing arrangement with the telcos, most especially glo the snail speed network
I understand that internet is a huge challenge here, I hoping by mid 2020s and towards the end of the decade things will be better.
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by joshikenna2: 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2020
Mistake. I was meant to quote the other dude. Sorry about that

Ournolly:

grin cheesy
You are either disoriented or you do not understand English as you agreed with my point and I still said I don't know anything.

I sincerely hope and believe the former is the case and not the later as it will be really tragic that a bloke with hairs in both his public and private parts cannot comprehend one line sentence.
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by joshikenna2: 8:16pm On Jan 12, 2020
You guys are over complicating streaming services. It's as good as downloading mp3s. I stream a lot cuz data is now cheap and all networks are fast enough to stream songs (it's different for video). If you don't want to stream, just save your songs offline, it's just like DOWNLOADING. Except your getting better quality songs. Every song you can think of is available there. You can follow you fav artist to get their latest. The best part is their recommendations based on the songs you listen.

SUMMARY; It's just same as you used to download only more organized and more original. You will love it (spotify)

ddjay:

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by joshikenna2: 8:19pm On Jan 12, 2020
okay. Easy, you can use a proxy or vpn to create an account online, then download the app from APKFUN or anyother site for sideloading apps

If it's too complicated for you, use Deezer. It's available in Nigeria and just as good as spotify. I've seen someone use it.

Both spotify and Deezer offer 3 months free subscription after which you will pay #3700. If you got the money or if you really love music, it's 100% worth it.

Timileyin1234:

Is Spotify available in Nigeria AppStore
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by joshikenna2: 8:23pm On Jan 12, 2020
joshikenna2:

I use spotify for windows

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Enskynelson(m): 8:30pm On Jan 12, 2020
See Nigerians calling Spotify! Something they are legally not allowed to use in Nigeria. You are not still afraid of your unlawfulness and you come online to proclaim it.

2 Likes

Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by Timileyin1234(m): 8:32pm On Jan 12, 2020
joshikenna2:
okay. Easy, you can use a proxy or vpn to create an account online, then download the app from APKFUN or anyother site for sideloading apps

If it's too complicated for you, use Deezer. It's available in Nigeria and just as good as spotify. I've seen someone use it.

Both spotify and Deezer offer 3 months free subscription after which you will pay #3700. If you got the money or if you really love music, it's 100% worth it.

On Apple
Re: Is The MP3 File Format Finally Dead by joshikenna2: 8:37pm On Jan 12, 2020
Nothing illegal about it bro as long as you paying for it. Most sites would tell you that spotify looks the other way when people use VPNs to access it in unavailable countries as long as they pay for the service. If you prefer to use one available in Nigeria, try Deezer.

Enskynelson:
See Nigerians calling Spotify! Something they are legally not allowed to use in Nigeria. You are not still afraid of your unlawfulness and you come online to proclaim it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Google Pixel 6. A True Photography Machine! / This Samsung Galaxy S3 Reportedly Exploded And Severely Burned A Woman's Leg. / Airtel Cheap Browsing For Cheat Scarcity Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.