Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,268 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

You/someone You Know Might Be Suffering From Depersonalization Not Depression. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / You/someone You Know Might Be Suffering From Depersonalization Not Depression. (416 Views)

Adolor Junction In Benin Suffering Flooding For Almost 3 Decades(photos) / How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed / Shocking!!! Cow Suffering From Monkey Pox (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You/someone You Know Might Be Suffering From Depersonalization Not Depression. by Horlah04(m): 8:19pm On Jan 14, 2020
Like a number of mental health issues, depersonalization is a symptom that’s often shrouded in mystery. It is a symptom marked by feeling as if you are observing yourself from outside of your body, or feeling like things around you aren’t real.

While it’s not a term we hear all the time, it is a symptom that affects people who experience conditions ranging from depression to bipolar disorder to schizoid personality disorder — and is more common than we might realize.

Because there is so little information out there about depersonalization, it can be easy for people to fear what they do not know or understand. It’s important to remember people who experience this symptom are in need of understanding and support just like anyone else going through a health-related struggle.

It’s isolating too, because even if someone else does notice when you’re going through this, there’s no way in hell they could ever truly understand or relate because they haven’t ever been through this themselves.

Here are shared experiences of what depersonalization feels like.

1. “You feel out of your body, like your body isn’t your own body, you just feel numb, you feel like an observer… like you’re just watching a movie or a TV show about your life that you don’t have any control over. You look in the mirror and see yourself and you just can’t believe it’s you staring back."

2. "You move, but you don’t think you wanted to. Your body carries you through it’s normal motions, while you try to figure out how to come back and take control.” It’s like no longer being connected to your own body. Your mind is so overwhelmed that it just detaches from reality completely."

3. "You question whether or not you’re real. Everything about you is unfamiliar. You look at your hands and wonder whose they are. It’s almost like watching a complete stranger go about their business.”

The good part is that it heals.
#WritingFromExperience

Re: You/someone You Know Might Be Suffering From Depersonalization Not Depression. by nlPoster: 11:15pm On Jan 14, 2020
ok.

Are you reading my mind?

2 Likes

Re: You/someone You Know Might Be Suffering From Depersonalization Not Depression. by Depersonalized: 10:43pm On Aug 23, 2022
Is there any cure?.

I've had this for most of my life. People misunderstand me, the first person I opened up to now avoids me, he thinks I have a spiritual problem. Living in Nigeria with depersonalization is depressing
Re: You/someone You Know Might Be Suffering From Depersonalization Not Depression. by Tuedor1998: 2:02pm On Nov 20, 2022
Does it have a cure,it affecting my life,my future,hope and everything

1 Like

Re: You/someone You Know Might Be Suffering From Depersonalization Not Depression. by Depersonalized: 10:42am On Dec 02, 2022
Tuedor1998:
Does it have a cure,it affecting my life,my future,hope and everything

Have you seen a therapist?

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Me. / Please Help Me, I’m Dying. My Father Was Scammed And He’s Suicidal. / Computer Science Vs. Software Engineering – How Are They Different?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.