Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,799 members, 7,817,308 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

What Was An Experience That Unexpectedly Humble You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Was An Experience That Unexpectedly Humble You? (933 Views)

Should I Humble Myself Before My Cousin? / The Bitter Experience That Taught Me A Lesson To Save Money (True Story) / Anyone Ever Had An Experience Like This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was An Experience That Unexpectedly Humble You? by whemmytopsy(m): 3:32pm On Jan 17, 2020
My divorce.

I’d made a goal when I was 21 to have a house, husband and child by the age of 30.

By 23 I was buying my first house with my fiance and planning our wedding. I'm ashamed of how I acted and looked down on people during that time in my life. I couldn't understand how people had no savings and couldn't afford to buy a house. I thought they must be extremely irresponsible with their money. They didn't plan their life out perfectly like I had.

My fiance started to act a little weird a few months before the wedding. I chalked it up to the new pressure of a mortgage.

We got married and went on the honeymoon. When we got back he went to work and stopped coming home. He made excuses that he had to work very late and slept at his mom's for convenience since she lived close to his work. After a week it didn't make sense. I cried to him over the phone asking him to come home. He begged me to let him go to his hometown in Mexico. He said after a week there he'd come back and everything would be ok.

Long story short….while he was in “Mexico” a woman was posting pics of him at HER place, in California. He was cheating on me. There was a peaceful exchange where she said he wasn't even supposed to go to the wedding and that he told her we were getting divorced…while we were on our honeymoon. He was lying to her too. Lies lies lies….

The result was me being saddled with the mortgage. I had to rent out my new house so I wouldn't default on the loan….I couldn't afford it alone and house prices were drastically decreasing…I couldn't sell it.

I got divorced after 1 month of marriage and had to move in with my parents. I had no savings because I had planned and paid for this huge wedding. I rationalized that the big budget was ok because I'd be able to save up later since we would both be paying the mortgage.

Everything was thrown off…not part of the plan. The man I married had a secret life. I had banked on a future that was a sham. At that point I attempted to commit suicide but thankfully my mom sensed something wasn't right and came to the rescue.

My sister and niece moved in with my parents as well, which moved my sleeping space to the floor.

One night, while dwelling on how hard the floor was against my back, I saw my past-self clearly. How arrogant I was…how superior I thought I was. I then realized that there are things that can't be planned for…and that's just life. Sometimes you'll fare better than others and sometimes you won't. I wasn't a better planner or saver…life just hadn't gotten to me yet. That's when I was truly humbled and stopped looking down my nose at people.

A second wave of humility came after all my coworkers found out what happened. At work, both men and women found time to tell me their stories of failed first marriages. They all let me know that it was a blip in their past and life goes on.

Now, I catch myself when that feeling of superiority starts up. I stomp it down by reminding myself of that time when I thought my plans were perfect. And, when I see things going well for another couple, I really am happy for them. They get to experience the innocent happiness I once had and I hope they feel it forever.

Source : https://www.quora.com/What-was-an-experience-that-unexpectedly-humbled-you

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was An Experience That Unexpectedly Humble You? by djoe21(m): 3:37pm On Jan 17, 2020
Post yours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was An Experience That Unexpectedly Humble You? by genq(m): 3:59pm On Jan 17, 2020
So far I haven't had one .. but I do know of a certain pathetic NL misandrist called Breaststroke who was humbled after receiving a one month ban so she came back to nairaland and went on a spiritual cleanse thus deleting all comments on her profile after realising how uttely lowly and stupid she has been.. thank God for deliverance! grin

3 Likes

Re: What Was An Experience That Unexpectedly Humble You? by Lamanii22(f): 9:48pm On Jan 17, 2020
I have always been humble right from highschool.. You know I trekked to school a lot and back.... I go to school most days without food... No pocket money... At some point after school.. There still wouldn't be food.. And if there were any food.. It would be beans and garri... You know solid meal lol.... I'm really grateful for the lessons life taught me.. Today I'm independent, I'm chubby now lol... I can afford everything I need... And I thank God for his grace.. For giving me strength too...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Was An Experience That Unexpectedly Humble You? by Holywizard: 7:54pm On Jan 19, 2020
As a graduate with good grade. After my graduation and service (NYSC), omo no work of or over 2years now.

My 13yr+ Facebook account was banned and deleted by Facebook team because it was flagged for fraud. Someone hacked my account and it was banned.
Right now I'm unable to Access Facebook with my phone. I tried creating one on a different phone but as soon I uploaded my picture, it got banned

(1) (Reply)

Is Genny Uzoma The Most Hottest Actress In Nollywood (picture) / Pregnant Mum Of Two Killed In Cooking Gas Explosion In Abuja (photos) / Nigerian Rapper Says Men Have Become Toxic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.