Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,153 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon (2023 Views)

Who Is To Blame If Power Goes Back To The North? / New Cabinet: Battle Shifts To Portfolios - The Nation / Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:48am On Jan 18, 2020
A former Head of State , Gen Yakubu Gowon ( retd.) , who led the Nigerian side during the Nigerian Civil War ( 1969 -1970 ) , has said he does not have any problem if power shifts to the Igbo come 2023.
He premised his views on the condition that as long as doing so would enhance peace.
Gowon spoke in a special interview he granted to the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Service in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the end of the war on Wednesday.
Our correspondent listened to excerpts of the interview in Abuja , on Friday.
While responding to a question on the agitation by south easterners that the Igbo should produce the nation’ s President in 2023 , he said , “ If doing so will bring peace , it should be done ; if the people so desire .”
He added, “ There was a time the PDP started rotational presidency , if that was continued maybe the Igbo would have produced a President but that didn’ t happen. If that can be done now, I don ’ t have a problem with it . Anybody can govern . There are many people in Nigeria, if God gives them and they will govern with the fear of God and love for Nigerians, we will make the desired progress. ”
Earlier , while responding to a question on whether he had regrets leading Nigeria into the civil war , he said he did not regret his action given the circumstance at the time, stressing that it was necessary to keep Nigeria one .
Gowon said , “ I want to thank God that we ended the civil war on a peaceful note; like I said back then , there was no victor , no vanquished. I thank God for the peace we ’ ve enjoyed over the last fifty years since the war ended.

“ The war wasn’ t what someone wanted. It was fought by those who wanted Nigeria to remain one unlike those on the other side who wanted it to divide , that was what led to the war .
“ Because of that , I will not say I committed a crime by going to war , it was out of our love for the unity of Nigeria, especially after the killing of Nigerian leaders of northern extraction , of our prominent officers from Lieutenant Colonel to General . I was the only one left. Those who want to foment fresh trouble should not do so. ” .

source: https://punchng.com/no-problem-if-power-shifts-to-south-east-in-2023-gowon/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Bethel4Life(f): 10:50am On Jan 18, 2020
D
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Bethel4Life(f): 10:50am On Jan 18, 2020
Ok
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by BuhariLooter(m): 10:51am On Jan 18, 2020
If you want to form a new police because buharis police has failed abysmally, what are the reasons behind your vociferous support for his candidacy?? Why will you impose an incompetent administrative bimbo on the rest of us while cunningly trying hard to extricate yourself from his mal-administration by forming parallel government institutions Afonja.., Must you be treacherous

6 Likes

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Simplyleo: 10:58am On Jan 18, 2020
Thank God you used "if".

It can only be "if" because we may not know know who afonja and almajiri will vote, but for sure, we know who they will never vote. cool

2 Likes

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by IDEMMIRI: 11:03am On Jan 18, 2020
Nigeria is too heterogeneous to be s single country. Lugard made the greatest mistake ever by amalgamating the two protectorates.

The North and the South are like oil and water, they are completely immiscible.

Splitting of this country would have been the lasting solution to enthrone peace.

8 Likes

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by V1C70R(m): 11:05am On Jan 18, 2020
Power shift ko, shifting gear ni!
Na three more years remain, we go know

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Nobody: 11:08am On Jan 18, 2020
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by IDEMMIRI: 11:08am On Jan 18, 2020
valentineuwakwe:
A former Head of State , Gen Yakubu Gowon ( retd.) , who led the Nigerian side during the Nigerian Civil War ( 1969 -1970 ) , has said he does not have any problem if power shifts to the Igbo come 2023.
He premised his views on the condition that as long as doing so would enhance peace.
Gowon spoke in a special interview he granted to the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Service in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the end of the war on Wednesday.
Our correspondent listened to excerpts of the interview in Abuja , on Friday.
While responding to a question on the agitation by south easterners that the Igbo should produce the nation’ s President in 2023 , he said , “ If doing so will bring peace , it should be done ; if the people so desire .”
He added, “ There was a time the PDP started rotational presidency , if that was continued maybe the Igbo would have produced a President but that didn’ t happen. If that can be done now, I don ’ t have a problem with it . Anybody can govern . There are many people in Nigeria, if God gives them and they will govern with the fear of God and love for Nigerians, we will make the desired progress. ”
Earlier , while responding to a question on whether he had regrets leading Nigeria into the civil war , he said he did not regret his action given the circumstance at the time, stressing that it was necessary to keep Nigeria one .
Gowon said , “ I want to thank God that we ended the civil war on a peaceful note; like I said back then , there was no victor , no vanquished. I thank God for the peace we ’ ve enjoyed over the last fifty years since the war ended.

“ The war wasn’ t what someone wanted. It was fought by those who wanted Nigeria to remain one unlike those on the other side who wanted it to divide , that was what led to the war .
“ Because of that , I will not say I committed a crime by going to war , it was out of our love for the unity of Nigeria, especially after the killing of Nigerian leaders of northern extraction , of our prominent officers from Lieutenant Colonel to General . I was the only one left. Those who want to foment fresh trouble should not do so. ” .

source: https://punchng.com/no-problem-if-power-shifts-to-south-east-in-2023-gowon/

Those that want to go should be allowed to.

Unity shouldn't be by force.

1 Like

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by tayebest(m): 11:24am On Jan 18, 2020
Gowon is trying to please the igbos, but 2millions citizen killed are already recorded! sad

Egbon, we know you are trying to do some damage control! shocked

1 Like

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 18, 2020
After ordering the massacre of millions of innocent biafrans you're coming to tell give us pep talk on peace. We still remember the death, starvation and so many atrocities you brought upon the Igbo people. Bald headed fraud!

3 Likes

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by EmekaMD(m): 11:26am On Jan 18, 2020
I have a few questions for you sir.
What was the content of the agreement in the Aburi accord ?
Who reneged on the agreement ?

Ans this question in all honesty.
And don't tell me there were misinterpretations.. it was written in English and in black and white, otherwise you'd have gone back to seek proper interpretation

2 Likes

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by StaffofOrayan(m): 11:26am On Jan 18, 2020
You no dey tire?

Simplyleo:
Thank God you used "if".

It can only be "if" because we may not know know who afonja and almajiri will vote, but for sure, we know who they will never vote. cool

2 Likes

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Bigflamie(m): 11:28am On Jan 18, 2020
We are just observing/monitoring how this treacherous Nigerian system is moving.

They think they can deceive the Easterners grin
Failed state

1 Like

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Noerection: 11:28am On Jan 18, 2020
You want to appease them with presidency after suyalized 3 million of Iyanmiris like chicken
It can not work
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Iamgrey5(m): 11:35am On Jan 18, 2020
BuhariLooter:
If you want to form a new police because buharis police has failed abysmally, what are the reasons behind your vociferous support for his candidacy?? Why will you impose an incompetent administrative bimbo on the rest of us while cunningly trying hard to extricate yourself from his mal-administration by forming parallel government institutions Afonja.., Must you be treacherous
We voted Buhari to complete the

Lagos Ibadan railway

Ibadan dry port project

Lagos Ibadan Express road refurbished

The building of many infrastructural facilities in Lagos like refurbishing of Apapa express way and mantaince of third mainland bridge amongst many others.

The security approach by the Southwestern government is very necessary because the federal government cannot do everything by themselves.

Even in Zamfara where the Buhari government got nearly 90% support in the last election, they now have numerous Vigilante groups under JTF because of activities of criminals.

Anyways, we heard some people supported a party for nearly 20 years without anything to show for it (not even a bridge, sea port or airport). That is not loyalty, it is called slavery.

3 Likes

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Yaribanzaonic: 11:38am On Jan 18, 2020
Dry and stale yarns. Always crying and lamenting about people that don't even send your OGAs let alone a bottom-feeder like you... cheesy grin grin

[s]
Simplyleo:
Thank God you used "if".

[/s]

1 Like

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Muna4real(f): 12:19pm On Jan 18, 2020
So the presidency is more important than the security of farmers killed in the south west by herdsmen? .hmm na WA ohh
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Emmanuelhector(m): 12:20pm On Jan 18, 2020
This one everybody started to consider us for presidency just to reset the brain of our greedy ajonja brothers... But all we know is that Amotekun must stay

1 Like

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by orisa37: 12:22pm On Jan 18, 2020
No Problem Sir

But

Our 36 CONSTITUTIONAL STATES should be granted Full Autonomous Control of their Police, Resources and Elections

And The Exclusive List of the 1999 Constitution be made Concurrent. The free and fair operation of the Constitution is made intractable by the list.

And FG be made FLG-FEDERAL LIAISON GOVERNMENT FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS, MILITARY AND SIGNING TREATIES FOR NIGERIA.

The above must be done

BEFORE any Civilian from any part of the FEDERATION can ENJOY FREE PRESIDENCY.

SHAGARI, YARADUA & JONATHAN didn't enjoy their Presidency. OBASANJO enjoyed it 'cos he is a Soldier. He even tried for a THIRD-TERM.

And now Muhammad BUHARI is angling also for a THIRD-TERM.

2023 CAN BE SE. LET HIM PRESIDE OVER A RESTRUCTURED NIGERIA. GOOD FOR THE GANDER GOOD FOR THE GOOSE.

GO ON WITH ONE NIGERIA. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 18, 2020
PreciousJuice:
Southwest shouldn't get carried away with the political atmosphere of the nation, because I have seen reports of leaders from the region saying they don't want presidency at the expense of amotekun, but take a critical assessment of the said amotekun, it lacks federal govt backing, lacks constitution backing, declared illegal by AGF and minister of justice, prohibited by IGP to bear sophisticated arms and considering that different political parties are governing southwest states, the amotekun can not be sustained, it is dead on arrival, BUT now talks have started on whether southeast is better suited for presidency , I hope our southwestern leaders think well about their actions and find better way to resolve the whole issue of 2023 presidency and amotekun... We southwesterners have being actively involved in this govt since inception, we have put in so much work can't just let the presidency go to another region based on ethnic and tribal differences. We( southwest) have right to the presidency by 2023 because we worked and did our homework, may good thing not pass us by ( amen).

In just a few words, can you tell us what benefits will accrue to the southwest apart from having some of their corrupt politicians placed in juicy positions at the federal level?

Obasanjo was there for 8 years, was there any change in the lot of Yoruba people?

The federal government cannot do anything about the security outfit.

Let them go and disband Hisbah first and we'll know they are serious.

Nigeria is not important to us, Yorubaland is.

Let them shove their presidency up where the sun doesn't shine.

With Amotekun we one step to getting our Republic.

Only a slow person will look at Nigeria and have hope that it will become better soon.

And an even slower person will ever think the Fulanis will relinquish power come 2023. A Pipedream indeed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Johans1991: 12:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
those that want to start another trouble should stop that" that was a serious warning.
GOD BLESS GOWON

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 18, 2020

1 Like

Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 18, 2020
PreciousJuice:

Quit dreaming of restructuring or odudua republic, also can u tell us how amotekun that is handicapped will safe lives and properties? Can u also tell us how having handicapped amotekun is more beneficial than the presidency?
2023 presidency favors the southwest because they have worked diligently for this govt and producing the next president is the only way the region's effort will not be in vain.
Do u know that some politicians in the south are only weaponising amotekun as political tool, because I think what the west should want more than anything is presidency, when we have it(presidency), we can then push for proper support and legalisation of amotekun, that's how I think southwest leaders should go about this not start media and audio war that have little or no effect.

So you want the presidency just to give legal backing to a security outfit.

You aren't a good strategist are you? Do you play chess? Probably not.

The Executive is only one of three arms of government.

Malami can not proscribe Amotekun. He is not the Law. That's a fact. The way it was setup make it very legal. Even more legal than their own creature, Hisbah, up North.

You probably aren't aware that there is an intelligent outfit behind every move being made so far. The mind every move.

Did you know how effective the OPC was in curbing armed robbery in Yorubaland? If you did you won't be wondering how effective Amotekun will be.

You are yet to tell us the benefits of a Yoruba presidency apart from legalizing an already legal organization.

Keep feeding the lies that some governors are arming the outfit for their own political gain.

Take a head count of all the governors that have bought into it and you'll realize that the cut across the two major political parties.

Naysayer. The operation hasn't even kicked off and they are praying it dies.

I'm sure you are happy the way Fulani herdsmen are killing and raping and maiming fellow citizens.

Maybe you are Fulani man yourself. I have just one message for y'all:

The presidency can burn if it likes, Yorubas will keep Amotekun alive, and Amotekun will keep Yorubas alive.
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Olugbanko: 2:00pm On Jan 18, 2020
do you mean power holding?
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 18, 2020
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 18, 2020
PreciousJuice:

Tribal man pls listen,
hisbah in kano faced challenges and struggles before it was made legal, here is a quick reminder, the IG then under Obj proscribed hisbah as illegal after it was set up, the group commander was arrested, the group was also restricted to carry batons non fire arms and non lethal weapons, hisbah was not legal until its bill was passed by the kano assembly and legal procedures are followed, also the Nigerian constitution is against creation of such group except if its bill passed through the house of assembly and signed into law
So, tell me what laws backed amotekun, what house of assembly passed and signed amotekun bill into law?
However, amotekun can be made whole and strong if Yoruba is next president, all the support both legal and financial needed from govt will be easily assented to since one of our own is the president, but for the sake of an handicapped audio security outfit that can't be sustained, I won't jeopardize chances of the west to be president by 2023.

Oh I'm tribal now because I want the best for my people. So be it.

It doesn't matter anymore how Hisbah came to be, the point is, it exists and is legal in the North.

In legal terms that's called PRECEDENCE.

The FG can't argue anymore that Amotekun is a rare phenomenon never before seen in Nigeria. Just point to Hisbah and you're home free.

We don't NEED the presidency. In fact, we don't WANT the presidency.

It's time for the six governors to come together irrespective of party affiliations to midwife more developmental projects that'll bind and uplift the six Yoruba states together.

Who gives a flying Bleep who lives in Aso Villa?

Soon Nigeria will disintegrate and the Hausa/Fulani elite will realize that holding on to a failed presidency and wielding it as huge stick is the definition of pyrrhic victory.
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 18, 2020
Re: No Problem If Power Shifts To South-east In 2023 – Gowon by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 18, 2020
PreciousJuice:

You haven't said anything about the constitution or law that is backing handicapped amotekun,
Also,u seem to forget Nigeria is a Federal system and no region can have it smooth without federal govt, believe me lagos only tried for 6months under tinubu, if the west should go by all u said , not only amotekun will suffer but everyone in d west, abi when there is hunger in d land how will amotekun fight lol, forget audio advocacy by governors and political actors, they know the truth of the matter and I can tell u will eventually be disappointed cos all the frontiers knows when to stop, the issue is not as simple , u people just keep shouting amotekun like it will do more than vigilante or opc.
Again, I am not subscribing to the thought of leaving presidency for handicapped amotekun
Will u put the safety of you and your family in the hands of said "security outfit" lol, for me the Lord is my Sheppard, abeg let amotekun do whatever, all I know is I want the next president to come from west
Also don't forget political actors are using the handicapped amotekun as a propaganda to make the west lose presidency all because of Bola Tinubu.

What is the benefit of the presidency to the west.

Name 3.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obaseki Hosts Jonathan, Blasts Oshiomhole (Photo) / See What The Second Flag Behind President Muhammadu Buhari Means / Meet The Man Who Speaks More Than 57 Foreign Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.