Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,543 members, 7,819,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Trump Senate Impeachment Trial: No Phones And No Talking For Senators - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Senate Impeachment Trial: No Phones And No Talking For Senators (366 Views)

Trump Acquitted By Senate In Second Impeachment Trial / Donald Trump's Entire Legal Team Quits A Week Before Impeachment Trial / Donald Trump Acquited As US Senate Ends Impeachment Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Senate Impeachment Trial: No Phones And No Talking For Senators by sinorte: 7:06am On Jan 19, 2020
The impeachment trial of President Donald Trump will be an unusual event in more ways than one.

It will mark only the third time in American history that a President faces a Senate impeachment trial. The trial is expected to interfere with -- if not halt entirely -- the usual business of the Senate and senators will have to comply with a set of rules that are not usually enforced and that may test their patience.

Official decorum guidelines for the trial released by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer's offices say that senators must refrain from speaking while the case is being presented.

In addition to the mandatory silence, the official decorum guidelines say that electronic devices, including cell phones, are not permitted in the Senate chamber during the trial.

Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas commented that it will "be a new experience for a lot of my colleagues (to) not be able to talk and not be able to consult our email or text messages. But we'll live through it, it'll be alright," adding, "it's obviously a very serious and grave matter so we should be paying attention."

Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer warned lawmakers weeks ago that electronics won't be allowed. Schumer "basically said, just be aware that you won't have your devices, and it'll just be a totally different environment," Casey said, adding, "The rule is no devices on the floor generally, but it will be strictly enforced."

Lisa Murkowski, an Alaska Republican, praised the ban on phones as "beautifully old fashion." "I'm glad that we can put these devices down, I'm glad we will be sitting in our chairs, I'm glad that we are going to be focused on what's in front of us at that time. I think it's important, it's beautifully old fashion, and I think we should stick to it," she said.

Senators are also expecting to work on Saturdays during the trial, which will be a change of pace for lawmakers typically able to leave Washington at the end of the week, sometimes as early as Thursday afternoon, to get back to their home states for the weekends. Any work that gets done on Saturdays, though, will likely mean the trial speeds along quicker than it would if the Senate kept to its usual work week schedule.

Source: CNN
Re: Trump Senate Impeachment Trial: No Phones And No Talking For Senators by cedricksly: 7:09am On Jan 19, 2020
Lol. Oga don enter one chance. No phone to lobby

1 Like

Re: Trump Senate Impeachment Trial: No Phones And No Talking For Senators by mimimile93: 7:13am On Jan 19, 2020
Anybody who calls a leader a mean name deserves not to lead. God of PMB at war.
Re: Trump Senate Impeachment Trial: No Phones And No Talking For Senators by popsy2(m): 7:59am On Jan 19, 2020
ok
Re: Trump Senate Impeachment Trial: No Phones And No Talking For Senators by Cletus77(m): 5:40pm On Jan 19, 2020
mimimile93:
Anybody who calls a leader a mean name deserves not to lead. God of PMB at war.

I don't like Trump at times but Buhari is truly lifeless! Deal with it
Re: Trump Senate Impeachment Trial: No Phones And No Talking For Senators by somtookeke(m): 5:18am On Jan 24, 2020
#VOTETHEMALLOUT2020 TRENDS AS TRUMP'S REPUBLICAN ALLIES STAND FIRM BEHIND THE PRESIDENT DURING IMPEACHMENT TRIAL

https://speakersden2..com/2020/01/votethemallout2020-trends-as-trump.html
Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfF_9MICuw

(1) (Reply)

United Kingdom Is Finally Leaving European Union On 31st January / Harvard Department Chair Arrested; Charged With Concealing COVID19 Ties To China / White House Portraits Of Barack And Obama Will Not Be Unveiled Until Trump Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.