Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms (816 Views)

Obi And His Dangerous Ethnic Agenda - why he will fail woefully at 2023 Election / We Are Not A Regional Party, Labour Party Rejects Okupe's Campaign List / Only Regional Army And Police Can Stop Fulani Cow Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by OndoFirstBorn(m): 7:50pm On Jan 19, 2020
The Governor of Ondo State and Chairman, South West Governors’ Forum, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu, SAN has reaffirmed that the South-west security initiative, Amotekun, is neither a Regional Army nor an ethnic agenda aimed at obliterating and undermining national cohesion.

Akeredolu, in a statement issued by
Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo, also advised against divisive statements and utterances that are capable of compromising the genuine intentions of the South west governors.

The governor reiterated his earlier position that Amotekun was initiated to compliment the efforts of the conventional internal security agencies that appear to have been hampered by the absence of local intelligence gathering architecture.

Akeredolu noted that Amotekun when fully operational, would serve the purposes of local information and intelligence gathering for processing and usage by the conventional security agencies.

He reaffirmed that Amotekun will merely supportive and not a replacement for the Nation’s security agencies.

“The concerns expressed by individuals, agencies of government and several stakeholders are noted without bias. Where possible, the inexorable efforts of the South west governors will be deepened through relentless interface”, the governor said.

The governor further stated that ,” As such interface and engagements continue, Governor Akeredolu finds it pertinent to say that the on-going discourse on the issue of Amotekun must not be misguidedly, used as a platform to ventilate personal or group views aimed at oiling primordial sentiments and grievances. Ethicizing the current situation is even more unhelpful. There should be no reason for such.

“This is more so that the Amotekun scheme is not targeted at any non-Southwest ethnic group just as its benefits are to be reaped by all Nigerians irrespective of ethnic or religious placements.

“Nonetheless, Governor Akeredolu has expressed confidence that the Southwest governors will not capitulate to blackmail either from within or outside the region but are ready to pursue the Amotekun security scheme through all permissible political and legal means.

“Under circumstances of the nature of Amotekun, the choices are numerous. They range from prevarication and pretense; partisanship and sycophancy as well as moderate and complimentary steps not inimical to the corporate existence of our Nation Nigeria. The South west governors have chosen the later. In unequivocal terms too, each of the choices has a consequence, if not consequences.

“Unfortunately, the steps of South West Governors have unwittingly, had to contend with forces of conspiratorial silence and unpretentious moves of sabotage. Each has a right to choices; but certainly, no one individual can circumvent the consequences of whatever choices he or she makes in life”.

Whether his present will affect his second term ambition, Akeredolu said, “he is not perturbed by the possible consequences of leading the Governors of the South West in the formation of Amotekun.

He stated that ,”In particular, fears and apprehensions have been expressed in many quarters that his role in the formation of Amotekun could mere his second term chances. This is far from the truth because Governor Akeredolu is on the path of national cohesion through collaborative internal security.

“The decision taken in respect of Amotekun was in the interest of the entire Nation but not the Southwest alone. The political insinuations and blackmail are the required ingredients needed to make it credible. But such will not discourage the governor in any manner.

“Expectedly, there are possibly, political vultures waiting to reap from an imaginary scenario, especially as we approach the 2020 Ondo governorship primary of our great party. For Governor Akeredolu, everything that is desirable must be blessed by God. 2020 is a year that will be decided by the people of Ondo State; it can only be directed by God and His Will alone shall prevail.

“In words and in deeds, Governor Akeredolu will not sacrifice the compelling need to make lives safer in the South west on the altar of political convenience, comfort and partisanship. The welfare of the people must come first.

“It therefore suffices that Governor Akeredolu considers more compelling, the need to institutionalize an acceptably complimentary and more enduring security framework in the South west.

“For those who have chosen to impose deceitful contentment on themselves for sake of political ambitions, especially towards Ondo 2020, the choice is free for them to make.

“The people are conscious and enlightened enough to discern the undercurrents; and more importantly, the consequences of those choices are lurking in the corners of our collective psyche, waiting to unleash on all of us.

“Of all vices, deception is dangerous. It becomes most lethal when it graduates to hypocritical humility and pretentious cooperation. It must be stated that Governor Akeredolu, not oblivious of human imperfections that are not peculiar to him, prefers to live life accepting who he is and loving it rather than pretending to be what he is not.

“It is imperative to state here that where true glory takes root and even spreads, all false and coloured characters like flowers, shall wane and will be unable to stand the vagaries of societal test. Such, like counterfeits do not last long.”

https://leadership.ng/2020/01/19/amotekun-its-neither-a-regional-army-nor-ethnic-agenda-akeredolu-reaffirms/

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by SLAP44: 7:51pm On Jan 19, 2020
What I don't like is the way the SW are parrying the brutal jabs of the north on this issue, stop denying and move to operation already.

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by FlyoruB: 7:54pm On Jan 19, 2020
The Presidency set a trap for the SW governors with this Amotekun initiative and they walked right in. I am sure lessons have been learned.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by SLAP44: 7:56pm On Jan 19, 2020
FlyoruB:
The Presidency set a trap for the SW governors with this Amotekun initiative and they walked right in. I am sure lessons have been learned.

Which trap? Should they wait till people start dying in thousands before they can act?

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI(m): 8:01pm On Jan 19, 2020
FlyoruB:

Pakute or barb wire?

1 Like

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI(m): 8:01pm On Jan 19, 2020
Here we go again,

The estate council asked me why I employed a security guard in my house, since the estate has her own non functional and class serving security operatives?

1 Like

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by olalat(m): 8:03pm On Jan 19, 2020
No trap anywhere. We are a people who have exclusive right to live the way we choose to legally. There's regional cohesion in support of the move, every omoluabis must stand up in support of the scheme. Amotekun is here to stay...
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Sanromeo(m): 8:05pm On Jan 19, 2020
When Amotekun finally starts operating fully, history will never forget the likes of Governor Akeredolu and Governor Fayemi for the roles they played in it.
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by FlyoruB: 8:07pm On Jan 19, 2020
SLAP44:

Which trap? Should they wait till people start dying in thousands before they can act?

Well, in my view the governors were naive in their approach to achieving their aim in this regard. Ariwo ko ni music. They could have tightened all the lose ends before the fanfare that greeted the launch. There are precedents to this sort of actions (Hisbah, Lagos Neighbourhood Watch, CJTF). The lawyers amongst them could have been more strategic in their execution. As it stands, Buhari will blackmail them and cause them to either ditch the intiative altogether (as some form of demonstration of their loyalty to him), or water down the originally intended mandate of the initiative.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Flets: 5:29am On Jan 20, 2020
I repeat- Amotekun is Tinubu’s bargaining chip for 2023 presidency. Has nothing to do with securing SW masses. It’s all politics.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Gabkosh: 5:42am On Jan 20, 2020
SLAP44:

You mind that dunce.
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Gabkosh: 5:44am On Jan 20, 2020
[s]
FlyoruB:

Well, in my view the governors were naive in their approach to achieving their aim in this regard. Ariwo ko ni music. They could have tightened all the lose ends before the fanfare that greeted the launch. There are precedents to this sort of actions (Hisbah, Lagos Neighbourhood Watch, CJTF). The lawyers amongst them could have been more strategic in their execution. As it stands, Buhari will blackmail them and cause them to either ditch the intiative altogether (as some form of demonstration of their loyalty to him), or water down the originally intended mandate of the initiative.
[/s]Go and sleep
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by gaetano: 5:45am On Jan 20, 2020
FlyoruB:

Nope. From where I stand, the sw are holding the ace card. The north are confused, what they don't want is a situation where all of se, ss n sw start requesting for a new country, so they are now more likely to give the presidency to a southern group to prevent that. What we want is restructuring
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Conner44: 6:03am On Jan 20, 2020
Wow! Graduation time has reached for yorubas. Let’s see what position they will carry on their report card once Fulani have finished marking their script lol.

Death to Amotekun the latest breeding terrorist network. Nigeria is unified and nothing can separate us.

All of us must get sense collectively this next 3 years
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by FlyoruB: 6:07am On Jan 20, 2020
gaetano:

Nope. From where I stand, the sw are holding the ace card. The north are confused, what they don't want is a situation where all of se, ss n sw start requesting for a new country, so they are now more likely to give the presidency to a southern group to prevent that. What we want is restructuring

Well, your opinion is noted. But your position would have been more probable in the event that the majority of the SW governors were in the opposition. Malami obviously spoke Buhari's mind, and unless you are a naive political observer/analyst, you would have to agree that based on his antecedents, Buhari will not back down on his opposition to Amotekun, at least not while he is still in office.

Were the majority of the SW governors in the opposition, they would have had more motivation to take on Buhari and the APC head-on over this issue, but as APC governors, they will either end up capitulating to Buhari's wishes (out of political expediency), or render Amotekun useless/toothless to save face while at the same time avoiding Buhari's anger.

I'm a pragmatist and I will tell you right now that while the SW governors may publicly try to score cheap political points over this issue, in the presence of Buhari they will chicken out (na today?). Amotekun may eventually see the light of day but that would probably be after APC leaves the scene and a strong pro-SW party with clout and resolve pushes/drives the agenda.
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Auladimeji(m): 6:25am On Jan 20, 2020
What you guys don't know is that,FG knows that Amoteku is legal,if the FG allows the Amoteku,Other Region will follow suit immediately and FG don't want Ibo to have regional security because it might leads to either succession or restructuring which the FG hates
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jan 20, 2020
FlyoruB:

Peace, brother. It's been a while. Happy new year

Are the rest of our people still here? Haven't checked this site in years. Lol

Are @Scholes0, @okoyibo, @hundredhundred, @omofunaab @Omohayek still active?

4 Likes

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by BuhariLooter(m): 4:58pm On Jan 20, 2020
If Yorubas want regional autonomy. Nigeria is supposedly a democratic society. Let Yoruba law makers in the NASS promote and sponsor such bill.
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by BuhariLooter(m): 5:00pm On Jan 20, 2020
Ametokun is completely illegal and against the unity of this country. Let's keep sentiment aside and evaluate the possible bessetting consequence of the so-called security body. To be sincere with you, yoruba are the last people I expect such nonsense from

SW should not try to be smart by half.

never support any undemocratic actions that undermines the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by tamonokare: 5:07pm On Jan 20, 2020
Amotekun will never see the light of the day. Take it or leave it. I'm not hating. I'm just being real.
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Witchersunited: 5:07pm On Jan 20, 2020
This one wants to use this cause to drive his re-election campaign, Sure his advisors are telling him what they see online
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Edu3Again: 5:15pm On Jan 20, 2020
Let's call a spade a spade

This contraption called Nigeria is dead

I advice the Fulanis to permit an amicable breakup

If Nija breaks in bitterness;
the South does not need the North, the North needs the South

A bitter break will make relations strained

So lets break peaceful

When the Fulanis were murdering Yorubas all over the place, the Fulanis kept quiet.

Now Amotekun has been formed to curtail the killings, the Fulanis are unhappy.

So the Fulanis to kill at will without opposition.

This is why the North hates Amotekun

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by LabDNA: 5:17pm On Jan 20, 2020
Amotekun is a pure business venture. Tinubu wants to use it as a bargaining chip for 2023 presidency. Why wasn't the Amotekun issue brought up in 2015 when the yorubas were all lovey-dovey with the fulanis and the 'Ibos were the problem'.

I refuse to be fooled.

If referendum is declared illegal because it is not in the consistution, then regional security operation is also not in the constitution, therefore Amotekun remain illegal. Yoruba can't continue to reprobate when it suits them and also approbate when it suit them.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by FlyoruB: 5:31pm On Jan 20, 2020
Jetleeeee:

Peace, brother. It's been a while. Happy new year

Are the rest of our people still here? Haven't checked this site in years. Lol

Are @Scholes0, @okoyibo, @hundredhundred, @omofunaab @Omohayek still active?

Jetleeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Longest time. Na so una allow YorubaParapo forum to just die like that. Lol. How we fit continue with the Ooduafamily forum, coz we no fit just allow all that content die just like that bro. I still see scholes0 pop in from time to time, omohayek sef still dey, but the others might have changed their monikers. I hope ileke sef still dey.
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 20, 2020
FlyoruB:

Jetleeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Longest time. Na so una allow YorubaParapo forum to just die like that. Lol. How we fit continue with the Ooduafamily forum, coz we no fit just allow all that content die just like that bro. I still see scholes0 pop in from time to time, omohayek sef still dey, but the others might have changed their monikers. I hope ileke sef still dey.

Haha..Nor be soo Senior man. The bros who opened the site with his info just went MIA. I attempted to get in touch with him but i couldn't get through. I don't think we can still recover it sha. Unless we build another one, which I doubt anyone has time for
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by FlyoruB: 7:50pm On Jan 20, 2020
Jetleeeee:

Haha..Nor be soo Senior man. The bros who opened the site with his info just went MIA. I attempted to get in touch with him but i couldn't get through. I don't think we can still recover it sha. Unless we build another one, which I doubt anyone has time for

But this forum right here :

http://ooduafamily.freeforums.net/

appears to be an exact clone/replica of yorubaparapo. I can even sign-in with my handle without qualms. I think it's being hosted on a free server.
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 20, 2020
FlyoruB:

But this forum right here :

http://ooduafamily.freeforums.net/

appears to be an exact clone/replica of yorubaparapo. I can even sign-in with my handle without qualms. I think it's being hosted on a free server.

Oh. For real? Never knew

I guess the only thing we lost was the name.
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by FlyoruB: 7:54pm On Jan 20, 2020
Jetleeeee:

Oh. For real? Never knew

I guess the only thing we lost was the name.

Yeah, I think so too coz it seems the contents are still intact.
Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 20, 2020
FlyoruB:

Yeah, I think so too coz it seems the contents are still intact.

Yupp. And I'm glad about that. Cos I legit thought we lost everything.

The site isn't really optimized for mobile, so it's hard to convince folk to get back to using it.

Only thing we can do is migrate the data to a new forum. I remember checking that year, and I couldn't find a decent/free alternative.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun: It’s Neither A Regional Army Nor Ethnic Agenda, Akeredolu Reaffirms by scholes0(m): 1:55pm On Jan 21, 2020
Jetleeeee:

grin grin
I sight all of una...

(1) (Reply)

Live Update: Senate’s Opening Prayer For Final Day Of Trump Impeachment Trial / Arrest Oshiomhole Now, Obaseki Charges IGP, DSS Boss / Despite Graduating As The Best Student, I Was Frustrated Out Of The Country..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.