Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,728 members, 7,831,311 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Let's Talk Hair! - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Let's Talk Hair! (1434 Views)

Tuxedo Time! Let's Talk About Suiting Up! / Naija Models Let Talk. / Let's Talk About Arm-pit Deodorants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk Hair! by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 07, 2010
As of last year I have completely kicked false hair (weaves) to the curb. I figured I have alot of natural hair so why not flaunt it?
I still consider myself a "newbie" to natural hair treatment so I wanted to discuss products, hair techniques and general stories or ideas about natural hair treatment. I found this excellent channel on youtube that I will share with you all, it's my inspiration!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessBeautyLounge

So my first question is how does one know what their hair type is? (such as coarse)

Are blow outs harmful to hair? what about flat irons?

I use Isoplus, motions and dark and lovely hair products (esp. D&L hair dye). Combining all three leaves my hair flawless with plenty of sheen however I find that I have to wash my hair very often due to the "clumps" that the Isoplus, grease leaves in my hair when I grease my scalp, are there any healthy scalp creams or moisturizers that you all recommend?
Re: Let's Talk Hair! by InkedNerd(f): 8:06pm On Dec 07, 2010
WELCOME TO NATURAL HAIR COMMUNITY wink
Re: Let's Talk Hair! by InkedNerd(f): 11:17pm On Dec 07, 2010
Re: Let's Talk Hair! by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 07, 2010
For Natural my natural hair, I use Almond & Shea Butter [by Suave Professional] shampoo like twice a month. And their conditioner like 4 times a week.
Once I've conditioned it, I mix warm honey and olive oil together, rub it on my wet hair and cover it up for atleast 30 minutes. I hear that it makes hair shinier.

For cream, I use raw shea butter/ olive oil/ Isoplus cream/ and a lil bit of carrot oil. MIXED together and applied to my hair. Not too greasy tho. Makes it realll soft.
Before it dries out, I braid it into 10-15 sections [gives it the curly/wavy look]. I usually braid it every night. Creates less tangles.

I stopped flat ironing, barely blow dry [that's if my braids are still wet the next morning. I try not to use any hair product that has petroleum in its ingredient. There's a "Natural hair and Transitioning hair" FB group. They have a lot of hair styles for natural hair.

Flat iron dries out the hair, makes it more brittle. Air dryer does the same thing. Unhealthy [thatz what I heard]
Re: Let's Talk Hair! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 08, 2010
^^WOW. I havent used carrot oil yet but I have used the isoplus olive and castor oil creams. They did WONDERS! but they didnt give me the shine I needed. I tried the Motions gloss cream/jam and it is shiney but it is sticky undecided .

I usually wrap my hair which gives me the texture that I desire but not the "silky" look. My mother uses your method of braiding and I will try it as well. Is there a natural way to get that straight, silky look with out having to use any direct heat? I wanted to try to blow out but I am not certain it is healthy for my hair.

Im going to check out the FB page! smiley
Re: Let's Talk Hair! by InkedNerd(f): 5:47pm On Dec 08, 2010
(1) Well, for starters you should probably know what there are people who believe and don't believe in the hair typing system. Some people dislike it because to them it just seems like an extension of the whole good hair/bad hair debate. If you really wanna go ahead and you the hair typing system, you can check out this link>>> http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-type-guide.html

(2)Are blow outs harmful to hair? what about flat irons?

In general, heat is damaging to hair of all types--especially people of color. There are ways to lessen the damage but generally speaking it damaging. Its pretty much up to you to decide if you wanna use heat on your hair.

(3)I use Isoplus, motions and dark and lovely hair products (esp. D&L hair dye). Combining all three leaves my hair flawless with plenty of sheen however I find that I have to wash my hair very often due to the "clumps" that the Isoplus, grease leaves in my hair when I grease my scalp, [b]are there any healthy scalp creams or moisturizers that you all recommend?

Yes, there are healthy scalp creams an moisturizers that you can use to moisturize your hair. It depends on what sort of products you're looking for. Are you looking for homemade/natural creams and moisturizers or commercial creams and moisturizers?
Re: Let's Talk Hair! by Nobody: 12:43am On Dec 09, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

^^WOW. I havent used carrot oil yet but I have used the isoplus olive and castor oil creams. They did WONDERS! but they didnt give me the shine I needed. I tried the Motions gloss cream/jam and it is shiney but it is sticky undecided .

I usually wrap my hair which gives me the texture that I desire but not the "silky" look. My mother uses your method of braiding and I will try it as well. Is there a natural way to get that straight, silky look with out having to use any direct heat? I wanted to try to blow out but I am not certain it is healthy for my hair.

Im going to check out the FB page! smiley

You want shiny hair? In a small sandwich bag, put like 2tb of honey and mix it with olive oil. tie the bag and place it under warm water to soften the honey. After 3-5 min or so, rub the mixture in your hair. Leave it in for like 30 mins, then rinse. Works for a lot of people.

I can never go back to permed/relaxed hair. Always flat. lol I need that flufy full soft hair.

The FB for the natural hair pix : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=2205218963
You'll loff the styles.

For the silky look, mix two whole eggs with four tablespoon of olive oil apply this mixture on your hair and leave it. Wash your hair after 20 minutes, you will find your hair slipping like silk after this. Check here for more ideas http://www.indiaparenting.com/beauty/article.cgi?art_id=200&sec_id=1
Re: Let's Talk Hair! by sholajohn(f): 1:15am On Dec 09, 2010
ever since i came across a thread here on NL (black hair does grow, lets prove it), my hair has never ben d same.
Though my hair is perm bt i ve notice a huge diff in my hair. I follow d suggestions there esp the use of natural products. I wash my hair most of d time wt black soap, conditn wt honey, mosturiz wt shea butter nd olive oil. Simple!!!! I do d normal trimming every 2moths, deep contioning, nd d rest.
I dnt bother my hair wt weavons nd d rest lyk i use 2. I dnt even go 2 d salon again. My hair is so soft and managable nw.

(1) (Reply)

What Does Your Handbag Or Purse Say About You? / My Skin Gets Darker In Rainy Season / New Weave And Wigs FOR MEN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.