Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,774 members, 7,851,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:29 AM

Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara (1264 Views)

FG Suspends Deduction Of States’ Loans / Biafra: Kanu Drags Buhari To ECOWAS Court / Buhari Receives President Ouattara Alassane Of Côte D'ivoire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by vwvw(m): 8:17pm On Dec 07, 2010
the economic community of west african states has suspended cote d' ivoire indefinetely from the sub regional body

at the end of an extraordinary session in abuja, Nigeria's president Goodluck while Jonathan responding to questions from the media, said that the 16 member sub regional body recognised mister allasane ouattara as president of cote d' Ivoire

president jonathan also  said ECOWAS will not be considering a power sharing deal like was adopted in Zimbabwe and Kenya
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by tpia1: 8:19pm On Dec 07, 2010
so what next?

UN has evacuated their staff, i think.

i hope the logjam can be peacefully resolved?
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by vwvw(m): 8:27pm On Dec 07, 2010
i hope goody doesnt renege on this and try the power sharing option
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by excoba101: 8:37pm On Dec 07, 2010
Where is the link. I need more insight please.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by vwvw(m): 8:50pm On Dec 07, 2010
ITS NOT A LINK ITS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE MEETING; JOURNALISTS WERE LOCKED OUT OF THE COMMUNIQUE;
THIS WAS GOODLUCK ADDRESING JOURNALISTS AFTERWARDS
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by excoba101: 8:55pm On Dec 07, 2010
Ok thanks.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Nsiman(m): 9:02pm On Dec 07, 2010
Actually i perceived the defeated incumbent wanted power sharing
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by desgiezd(m): 9:10pm On Dec 07, 2010
Nsiman:

Actually i perceived the defeated incumbent wanted power sharing

I guess this is the reason why the shameless man manipulated the system to favour him knowing that the Kenyan and Zimbabwean option may be adopted for him. Allowing this would simply make it an African style where incumbents that lose elections would simply refuse to vacate office. Quattara should also refuse to agree to this sort of arrangement if it is ever suggested to him.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by ikennahill: 11:30pm On Dec 07, 2010
Africa wil neva change.GBAGBO is a big fool
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by wesley80(m): 3:38am On Dec 08, 2010
Lets give GEJ some credit.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Gbawe: 9:06am On Dec 08, 2010
wesley80:

Lets give GEJ some credit.

With all due respect, it is the entire ECOWAS we must give credit to. We have to refrain from individualising institutional efforts, actions and achievements. It may be the Nigerians thing to recognize individuals instead of institutions but worldwide concerted effort is always acknowledged. The entire ECOWAS took this decision. Many of us have been hoping that ECOWAS will grow in influence and act decisively , when the need arises, to protect the integrity of the union forged. When ECOWAS takes a stance like this we should praise it , first and foremost, as West Africans rather than take the bait of seeing this as a directive from a Nigerian Chairman of ECOWAS.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Beaf: 9:21am On Dec 08, 2010
^
GEJ is the ECOWAS boss and he has done creditably well. As with everything ECOWAS countries practically begged Jonathan to take over.
It is a pretty strong position that ECOWAS has taken under GEJ's direction and all must be congratulated and given their due. Enough of introducing petty politics into every issue on Earth.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by otokx(m): 9:27am On Dec 08, 2010
Did you guys check out their statement?

Those weaklings of ECOWAS called on the US to save guard the results of the election.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by vwvw(m): 10:51am On Dec 08, 2010
for me ecowas must put their money where d talk ends.recognising outtara means ensuring gbagbos removal even if it means soiling our hands.enough of this pontification
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by 1025: 12:07pm On Dec 08, 2010
for me ecowas must put their money where d talk ends.recognising outtara means ensuring gbagbos removal even if it means soiling our hands.enough of this pontification

@vwvw,
u have just combined comedy with truth. removal of gbagbo u said? yes, u are right but who will bail the cat? what if gbagbo ask the 16 presidents that any of them who has not done what he did to be the first to strike. what will happen? many of us here are asking that jonathan be given some credits here, what about giving jonathan first class?
our jonathan is not on seat via our mandate so what moral justification does he have to ask gbagbo to respect the mandates of his ppl?
i was in abidjan(ivory coast - capital) earlier this year and before then, nobody there has a generator. they were doing some kind of upgrading in the power sector and as such were experiencing power sharing. the ppl were so uncomfortable that they were calling for gbagbo's head. gbagbo was always on tv to plead for patience and as we speak, the steady power supply is back so someone tell me how a dark minded jonathan ruling a dark country(nigeria) is qualified to speak for them.
the head quatters of corruption in africa is nigeria and aso rock is the manufacturing company and in this case, jonathan must clean his eyes before cleaning other ppl's eyes.
cote d'ivoire is 100% more peaceful and secured than nigeria so i wld even ask that jonathan step down for gbagbo so that quattara will take over from him there.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Olaolufred(m): 3:01pm On Dec 08, 2010
i wld even ask that jonathan step down for gbagbo so that quattara will take over from him there.

@1025
I think Gbagbo should leave first,

Then travels to Nigeria,

While you persuade GEJ to step down for him.

i was in abidjan(ivory coast - capital) earlier this year and before then, nobody there has a generator. they were doing some kind of upgrading in the power sector and as such were experiencing power sharing. the ppl were so uncomfortable that they were calling for gbagbo's head. gbagbo was always on tv to plead for patience and as we speak, the steady power supply is back

@1025
Are you suggesting that he remains in office till death because of your above reason?
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Olaolufred(m): 3:07pm On Dec 08, 2010
Did you guys check out their statement?

Those weaklings of ECOWAS called on the US to save guard the results of the election.

It is UN not as boldened .
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Musiwa13: 5:06pm On Dec 08, 2010
I think the United nation  and ecowas has to be very careful the way they handle the ivory coast case.    allasane ouattara comes from the Mandinka or Malinke group. 

The problem is the other ethnics group in the south believe allasane ouattara is not from ivory coast but from borkina faso. He claim he is from ivory coast. But the truth is his ethnics is from 4 countries. and they claim several countries .

It would be on record in nigeria. that even at a time. That the head of the nigeria secret service was said not to be a nigerian , and he was deported from nigeria during shagari govt. because hausa fulani people from niger republic claim to be nigerian.  The same thing happen in ivory coast.

This is was lead to the civil war in ivory coast. I am not saying  allasane ouattara did not win, but I think the united nation and ecowas has to be very careful, if not, you would have 4 countries in a bloodly civil war.

Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by 1025: 9:47pm On Dec 08, 2010
@1025
I think Gbagbo should leave first,

Then travels to Nigeria,

While you persuade GEJ to step down for him.

i was in abidjan(ivory coast - capital) earlier this year and before then, nobody there has a generator. they were doing some kind of upgrading in the power sector and as such were experiencing power sharing. the ppl were so uncomfortable that they were calling for gbagbo's head. gbagbo was always on tv to plead for patience and as we speak, the steady power supply is back

@1025
Are you suggesting that he remains in office till death because of your above reason?

@Olaolufred,
i really do not know what u want to hear from me. it is a natural law and it has been there. ppl with veil in their eyes must clean them before cleaning others
u and i know that jonathan is a product of fraud so how can a man who fraudulently become president be bold enough to stop others who intend to do same.
this is the culture here in africa. obasanjo said, it is a do or die affair. it happened in zimbabwe and mugabe told all of them one after the other the history of their ascendancy to the presidency and in acceptance, they bowed to his opinion. mugabe is still the president of zimbabwe even as we speak.
ghana president can talk and ppl will listen but not our jonathan because what gbagbo is doing is exactly what he did to be where he is.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by cardoso111(m): 6:29am On Dec 09, 2010
Musiwa seems so tied to Gbagbo that he can't even hide it.both ran for election-no complaints.they went for run off no complaints.then suddenly a winner emerge and excuses started to fly.Let Gbagbo leave in peace and allow greater peace to rule/
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by ikennahill: 1:50am On Dec 10, 2010
D truth is dt gbagbo lost.gbagbo hv bn president 4 10yrs.ouatara won and shd be allowed 2 rule,if he like mk hm come frm ghana,ijebu ode or malawi.gbagbo case go b like taylor own,he go end up in int.crime tribunal.watch it!
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Musiwa13: 2:43am On Dec 10, 2010
cardoso11,   I know africa politics more than an average person. Look from listen to the united nation envoy in ivory coast, It looks like he does not know much about africa.

There is the truth about africa. Looking at the ivory coast case, if they do not handle it very well, it would end up in another blood bath.   I have watch video of Gbagbo during the election.

And I can tell you, we have problem. with the followership that Gbagbo has. Jonathan  or any president of nigeria can never have that number of crowd.

It tell you, we have a problem. and I have not seen an african president in a long time, who walk confident among the crowd that this man call Gbagbo is doing.

Another problem , is the issue of the birth place of allasane ouattara, alot of the people of that country believe that he is not from the country.  It would create a problem for him, and most of them would not accept him. This is why the united nation need to be very careful, the way they handle it.

My advice is to do a recount of the vote. And let Gbogbo be there. If you dont do that and you want to force allasane ouattara, you would have problem. Gbagbo comes from i think the largest ethnic group in the country. While allasane ouattara comes from a smaller ethnics group. the large ethnics would never agree.

Is like me and Jonathan running and the United nation now claim, Jonathan won. That would mean blood bath. so hope you can see my point.

My advice is just to be quiet,
Let allasane ouattara rule the north and Gbagbo rule the south.
5 years would be over very soon. their constitution says he can only 2 term, it end in 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ74KQ6RXNM&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgwEF-A4qp8&feature=related
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Musiwa13: 8:14am On Dec 10, 2010
I think Jonathan has to change his approach the way he handle this case. he can not demand the way , he is doing, Ecowas should be a mediator body in the region in time of crisis  and should do everything within his power to avoid a civilwar. Pushing for an open confrontation with gbagbo would mean war. We are dealing with human.

I am a person that believe in peace. I am telling if I was the president of Nigeria , I would have resolve this issue within 72 hours . I would have gone for a recount to please all involve , if allasane ouattara claim he won, he too would not be scared of a recount. so also should gbagbo. I think that should be the role of ecowas. As president of nigeria, that would have been what i would ask for.

For the sake of the lifes of the people. It would be the best if we temporary   partition  the country for a while too many lifes, have been lost. Both side would agree to   partition . The country has been   partition  now for nearly 10 years.  The united nation did made a mistake the way the map of african was drawn this give the chance to correct it too.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Musiwa13: 8:46am On Dec 10, 2010
In a civil war the portion on the side of gbagbo would not be loyal to allasane ouattara, is like a case of nigeria too, ethnics loyal outlaw , national loyality.

Like I said this is the fighting force the Yorubas has, if the national assembly and I can tell you, they would not be loyal to Jonathan Goodluck, in defend of thier God given right.  Which is to be treated like human.

100,000 of the nigeria police who can shoot are Yorubas and they carry guns are Yorubas.
25,000 of the Nigeria army are yorubas
23,000 Paramilitary are Yorubas.
21 military barracks.
3000 airforce are Yorubas
4 airforce base
3000 Navy officers are Yorubas.
5 seaport
9 airports
member of the Custom service ( they carry guns)
other paramilitary that carry weapon have a large portion of yorubas.
If the Ijaw had this, we are talking of a serious war.
We are talking of over 180,000 strong modified army on the first day of combat. we have access to the sea.
No wise person should think, he can continue with a people who has this military power.
I think, wise people use thier brain, silly people continue in stupidity.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by superboi(m): 9:02am On Dec 10, 2010
MUSIWA You seem to have a better grasp of the issue than people who just tuned in after the election was "won" by Quattara. This issue has been on for a while a M.U.M.U ECOWAS no put mouth. If the UN and ECOWAS were being sincere they would not have even conducted election in such a fragile suituation that they knew would only bring acrimony, bitterness and war. If ECOWAS and UN were serious they would have pleaded to all these over 65years olds with record of being divisive not to run for an election that was meant to unite a divided country. The west is not being sincere in this case and we should use our head and not our heart to ask what is the west so intrested in putting Quattara? they have been openly supply his rebels weapon since 2002 to fight a constitutional government and now they want to install him as president after a highly flawed election. It should be noted that it is only in Nigeria in West Africa that the North is more populated than the South, now how are they saying Quattara won with more votes from the North? Abeg this Jonathan don the F' up oooo, he should have just shut up.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Musiwa13: 9:14am On Dec 10, 2010
I love international politics, look my father have been travelling to europe since the 50's, he has been to over 70 countries around the world. and when you have a father like that, you tend to like international politics.

So are you saying Jonathan too should not run for election. that is not democracy.

My issue is not with the west but, what is the way forward to avoid a civil war. ?

I think they have two option.

1. A recount of the vote, to please Gbagbo
2.  or to partition the country. this option look the best because for 10 years now. they have been killing themself. and its tell you a story.

And Nigeria has to learn a lesson from this.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by superboi(m): 9:36am On Dec 10, 2010
Jonathan case is different, they have been a war in Cote d'ivoire for the past 8 years and for the UN to allow the main participant in that war to run against each other when they are so popular( even if the election result is true 48% : 52%, it could have gone anywhere), was a call for trouble especially when the main issues that caused the war have not been trashed out. Now most probably(I pray not) the war will likely escalate as both party now have major international backing and "LEGAL" reasons to fight each other. I think the best thing was to redefine the structure of the state and government to have peace and free and fair election.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Musiwa13: 9:55am On Dec 10, 2010
what is the different in jonathan case and Ivory coast it is the same.  The issue is Jonathan too would not win in a free and fair election. Atiku too and others would not win in a free and fair election.

The people running the nigeria, people do not want any of them in power. That is the truth. Someone going to rent a crowd on facebook does not show the people of nigeria, like aderonke in port harcourt story.

the issue is it is the same people who have stole money from government that are all running for president, with all of them having the same motive of coming to rob the people of Nigeria.
Nobody is thinking of build the people lifes for the best. It is a pity. everybody running is part of a criminal group with only one intend to rob the people of nigeria.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Musiwa13: 6:57pm On Dec 10, 2010
one option you have, since jonathan has failed to solve this case, is to send pastor kumuyi or pastor adeboye to both Ouattara and gbagbo so that they can agree for a recount of the vote.  they both would listen.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Musiwa13: 3:11am On Dec 11, 2010
I watch most of gbagbo video and i notice his supporters are passion. that is a big risk to us.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by olaolabiy: 3:18am On Dec 11, 2010
Musiwa,:

one option you have, since jonathan has failed to solve this case, is to send pastor kumuyi or pastor adeboye to both Ouattara and gbagbo so that they can agree for a recount of the vote. they both would listen.

I dey laugh o.
Re: Ecowas Suspends Civ, Recognises Ouattara by Musiwa13: 3:23am On Dec 11, 2010
I want to see peace in ivory coast, because I have a friend from that place, who , i have not seen for a long time. He may have gone back home. he ran away during the war.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! / Abdul Adelekan Of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Was Declared Winner In Mende / Call A Spade A Spade And Stop This Wailing!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.