Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,104 members, 7,835,732 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget (1141 Views)

Remembering Nigeria's Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget / David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained / John Lennon And Wife Protesting British Involvement In Biafra War (Throwback) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Bloggeryanke: 6:30pm On Jan 20, 2020
Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra war that many prefer to forget

The deaths of more than a million people in Nigeria as a result of the brutal civil war which ended exactly 50 years ago are a scar on the nation’s history.

For most Nigerians, the war over the breakaway state of Biafra is generally regarded as an unfortunate episode best forgotten, but for the Igbo people who fought for secession, it remains a life-defining event.

In 1967, following two coups and turmoil which led to about a million Igbos returning to the south-east of Nigeria, the Republic of Biafra seceded with 33-year-old military officer Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu at the helm.

The #Nigerian government declared war and after 30 months of fighting, Biafra surrendered. On 15 January 1970, the conflict officially ended.

Click on the link below to read full post ��
https://globng.com/remembering-nigerias-biafra-war-that-many-prefer-to-forget/

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by alfasexy: 6:32pm On Jan 20, 2020
The conflict never ended. We just stopped shooting at each other.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Heloct(f): 6:35pm On Jan 20, 2020
I can't forget the Biafran war ever. I wasn't there but reading about it was bad enough let alone experiencing it. We don't acknowledge peace until we lose it.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by kettykings: 6:42pm On Jan 20, 2020
The most surprising thing about the war is that the military that claimed to have won the war against biafrans is being decimated and destroyed in the north east by a rag tag militia with no formal education and no foreign support.

While the same military is in Bayelsa burning homes and killing unarmed civilians in Bayelsa.
If i were the president of the country , i will disband the military and rebuild it from scratch.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by HallaDaTruth: 6:45pm On Jan 20, 2020
There is a certain video i saw about that war , it gave me a reason never to forget about it . I used to be one of the Igbos that never cared about Biafra . But After i started Digging into History , thats when i saw a million Reasons why Biafra Must Be born . Let those tribal scoffers and mockers continue to mock . BIAFRA MUST BE FREE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Bloggeryanke: 7:28pm On Jan 20, 2020
wink
HallaDaTruth:
There is a certain video i saw about that war , it gave me a reason never to forget about it . I used to be one of the Igbos that never cared about Biafra . But After i started Digging into History , thats when i saw a million Reasons why Biafra Must Be born . Let those tribal scoffers and mockers continue to mock . BIAFRA MUST BE FREE

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Magicians: 7:38pm On Jan 20, 2020
My bro u speak nothing but the truth. It was this same military that beat Cambridge graduate Ojuwku blue black, he barely escaped Ivory Coast with his pathetic life dressed as olosho.

kettykings:
The most surprising thing about the war is that the military that claimed to have won the war against biafrans is being decimated and destroyed in the north east by a rag tag militia with no formal education and no foreign support.

While the same military is in Bayelsa burning homes and killing unarmed civilians in Bayelsa.
If i were the president of the country , i will disband the military and rebuild it from scratch.
Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by kettykings: 8:08pm On Jan 20, 2020
Magicians:
My bro u speak nothing but the truth. It was this same military that beat Cambridge graduate Ojuwku blue black, he barely escaped Ivory Coast with his pathetic life dressed as olosho.

Did the military really beat Ojukwu or did they starve millions on innocent women and children to death , show me any Nigerian former head of state who is not carrying or nursing wounds from Biafran military, one of the biggest Generals (General Murtala Mohammed) that Nigeria ever produced till date was sent on exile to london after a small biafran troop led by an unknown major Jonathan Uchendu used a small improvised equipment (ogbunigwe)to evaporate 98% of his 2nd Division leaving him with less than 100 men from 6000 troops. Biafran military commanded by Ojukwu holds this world military Record , no other military from the time of Pharaoh , Nebuchadnezzar, Cyrus the great , Alexander the great , Julius ceaser etc holds this record, not even the American or Soviet militaries

Biafrans again reduced the 3rd Amour-ed div from 33,000 men to less than 300 in the ill fated operaton OAU

5 Likes

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 20, 2020
So many issues here.

But the most pertinent of them is that it is better to jaw jaw than to war war.
Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Magicians: 8:57pm On Jan 20, 2020
Bro that another mistake, you have a very pathetic n lame knowledge about history. Biafra wipe out the entire Africa continent in the biafra war, that was why Ojukwu ran in Ivory Coast dressed like career olosho. It is also the reason Biafrans are still being Yoruba to fight for their freedom from Nigeria till this 2020.

Chest beating lying mofos everywhere.

kettykings:

Did the military really beat Ojukwu or did they starve millions on innocent women and children to death , show me any Nigerian former head of state who is not carrying or nursing wounds from Biafran military, one of the biggest Generals (General Murtala Mohammed) that Nigeria ever produced till date was sent on exile to london after a small biafran troop led by an unknown major Jonathan Uchendu used a small improvised equipment (ogbunigwe)to evaporate 98% of his 2nd Division leaving him with less than 100 men from 6000 troops. Biafran military commanded by Ojukwu holds this world military Record , no other military from the time of Pharaoh , Nebuchadnezzar, Cyrus the great , Alexander the great , Julius ceaser etc holds this record, not even the American or Soviet militaries

Biafrans again reduced the 3rd Amour-ed div from 33,000 men to less than 300 in the ill fated operaton OAU

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by kettykings: 9:00pm On Jan 20, 2020
Magicians:
Bro that another mistake, you have a very pathetic n lame knowledge about history. Biafra wipe out the entire Africa continent in the biafra war, that was why Ojukwu ran in Ivory Coast dressed like career olosho. It is also the reason Biafrans are still being Yoruba to fight for their freedom from Nigeria till this 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_OAU
Although Shuwa's 1st Division successfully captured Okigwe and the Obiangwu airstrip the operation resulted in disaster for Adekunle's 3rd Marine Division in which it lost over 20,000 of its 35,000 soldiers, over two thirds of the entire division, and found itself in short supply of both men and food. While Yakubu Gowon was distracted by the anti-tax riots in western Nigeria the Biafran Brigadier Alexander Madiebo encircled Owerri, trapping the 3,000-man Nigerian 16th Division inside the city. For the next several months attacks were launched by Biafran soldiers on Nigerian defensive positions around the city which allowed them to inch closer to Owerri with every battle. On December 5 the Biafrans launched a two-day offensive on Owerri in which 50,000 rounds of ammunition, 300 mortars, 200 howitzer shells, and 20 anti-tank weapons were fired by the Biafrans but the Nigerian 16th Division under Col. Etuk managed to stay put in their original positions. On January 15, 1969, the Biafran 60th Brigade entered Owerri and forced the Nigerians within the city to retreat across the Otamini Bridge. Hungry and half-naked Biafran soldiers discovered the Nigerians’ food and clothing supplies and decided to stay and have their fill while the Nigerians regrouped and launched a counter-attack, causing the Biafrans to retreat. By March 31, 1969, the Biafrans had control over 70% of Owerri while the remaining 300 Nigerian soldiers fled the city on April 25.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abagana_Ambush
On 31 March 1968, a convoy consisting of 106 vehicles belonging to the Nigerian 2nd Division transporting 6,000 soldiers, as well as armour from Onitsha to Enugu was ambushed and decimated in the town of Abagana by a small unit of Biafran soldiers led by Major Jonathan Uchendu.

Homemade Ogbunigwe rocket missiles were launched by the Biafrans at a tanker truck carrying gasoline which caused an enormous explosion destroying many of the convoy's armoured vehicles and killing a large number of Nigerian troops.[10] 350 tons of Nigerian Army equipment were destroyed or captured by the Biafran troops.[7][5] After the rocket attack the Biafran soldiers opened fire on the convoy with small arms fire killing many more Nigerian soldiers.

The successful ambush at Abagana gave both Biafran soldiers and civilians hope in the war as well as temporarily halting the Nigerian advance into Biafran territory. General Murtala Mohammed was relieved of his command and never commanded a division again.[7][10]

In his own words, Uchendu said the sight of the convoy almost paralyzed his troops. His boys were so anxious to start firing, more out of panic than anything else. He asked them to remain calm until he gave the command. He allowed many of the Nigerian 2 Div. convoy pass through. His boys were shocked why he would allow them go through into Biafran held zone. They were nervous, suspicious, yet they trusted he military gallantry and so awaited to know his strategy. He said they concluded that the war was over, but as brave soldiers, they must fight to the last!

As he was guiding the soldier (I think a Sergeant) with the rocket launcher on what to do to the invading convoy and when best to strike, the soldier nervously and accidentally pressed the trigger, letting go the rocket!

Luckily, he hit a target - a fuel Tanker! The Tanker exploded and threw its contents onto a nearby Armour carrier setting everything ablaze. The multiple explosion commenced!

In panic, soldiers who already crossed over into Biafran line ran in different directions in total confusion. Biafran soldiers attacked. They radioed the regular troops and they joined in the attack. When Uchendu learnt that Muritala Mohammed was with the Convoy and somewhere in Nawfia, he set off hurriedly to capture him but was late as Muritala was sighted taking off with a Helicopter!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Invasion_of_Onitsha
The Biafran 11th Division, which consisted of the 11th, 12th and 18th Battalions, was given the task of defending Onitsha. The 12th Battalion under Col. Mike Inveso was responsible for defending the area between Idah and Nsugbe, the 18th Battalion under Col. Assam Nsudoh was responsible for defending Onitsha town, and the 11th Battalion under Maj. Joseph Achuzie defended the area between Atani and Ndoni. The beaches around Onitsha were heavily mined and were backed up by Biafran machine guns and anti-tank weapons. Because the Biafrans had detonated the Niger River Bridge Gen. Murtala Mohammed was left with the decision of crossing the Niger River at Idah or making and amphibious attack on Onitsha. Gen. Mohammed disregarded advice from the Nigerian Army HQ in Lagos and chose to attack Onitsha head on. On October 4, 1967, Gen. Mohammed ordered Nigerian artillery to begin bombarding Onitsha. Eight days later Gen. Mohammed personally leads a 10-boat armada carrying 5,000 Nigerian soldiers across the Niger River into Onitsha. The Biafran 18th Battalion resisted stubbornly but were forced to retreat in disarray. However, instead of pursuing the retreating Biafrans and occupying the town the Nigerians turned their attention to looting and burning the Onitsha Market to the ground. This gave the 18th Battalion time to reorganize and make a counter-attack. The 11th Battalion under Maj. Achuzie made their way up the New Market road while the 18th Battalion under Col. Nsudoh swung down the Old Market road towards Onitsha
Nigerian 2nd Division soldiers stationed in Onitsha were totally routed and most were either killed or taken prisoner. UndauntedGen. Mohammed ordered a 5,000 man reserve from Lagos to cross the Niger River into Onitsha but they were once again defeated. Gen. Mohammed ordered troops under Lt. Col. Ipoola Alani Akinrinade to make a third assault on Onitsha but were once again thwarted by the Biafran 11th and 18th Battalions. It was now when Gen. Mohammed realized there was no hope in attacking Onitsha from Asaba and began heading north towards Idah
(I-Duh)

The war was stopped to prevent people from dying from starvation and not because of the military strength of Nigerian Army

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by kettykings: 9:18pm On Jan 20, 2020
Magicians:

Do you know what it means to wipe out an Army Div, Boko haram kills 13 soldiers and the whole world is shaking ,meanwhile Biafrans wiped out whole Army Divisions including the parents and grand parents of the present fulani herdsmen and Boko haram and you are here talking about Ojukwu going to Ivory coast

6 Likes

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Bloggeryanke: 10:24pm On Jan 20, 2020
sad
Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Magicians: 12:18am On Jan 21, 2020
Exactly ! The same reason Ojukwu has to elope so he doesn't starve to death like a useless pig that he truly is.

kettykings:

The war was stopped to prevent people from dying from starvation and not because of the military strength of Nigerian Army

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Bloggeryanke: 1:49pm On Jan 21, 2020
cheesy
Magicians:
Exactly ! The same reason Ojukwu has to elope so he doesn't starve to death like a useless pig that he truly is.

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by gidgiddy: 2:02pm On Jan 21, 2020
The Biafran war was won for Nigeria by the British. Had Britain decided to stay neutral in that war, Nigeria had no chance of winning

What people dont seem to understand is that it was Ojukwu who had the advantage. He had the oil and he had the support of the people. British Warships blockaded Biafra and prevented Ojukwu from selling Oil and buying the much needed arms, ammunition and and supplies.

Had the British stayed away and Ojukwu properly funded the war with Oil sales, Nigeria would have stood no chance

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Dereformer(m): 2:28pm On Jan 21, 2020
100% of deaths on Nigerian side were soldiers. 90% of deaths on Biafran side were helpless women and children.

When people talk about the war and over 3 million deaths, I laugh.

The truth is, Biafran soldiers fought gallantly and they earned my respect till date.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by blasted12: 3:21pm On Jan 21, 2020
kettykings:

Liar and revisionist. The Biafran forces were totally defeated
Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Benjanyne: 7:48pm On Jan 21, 2020
[s]
blasted12:
Liar and revisionist. The Biafran forces were totally defeated
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by HallaDaTruth: 11:05pm On Jan 21, 2020
gidgiddy:
The Biafran war was won for Nigeria by the British. Had Britain decided to stay neutral in that war, Nigeria had no chance of winning

What people dont seem to understand is that it was Ojukwu who had the advantage. He had the oil and he had the support of the people. British Warships blockaded Biafra and prevented Ojukwu from selling Oil and buying the much needed arms, ammunition and and supplies.

Had the British stayed away and Ojukwu properly funded the war with Oil sales, Nigeria would have stood no chance
Don't mind this tribalistic worms on nairaland. Biafra is the number 1 threat to the fulanis, not this yeye amotepoop
Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jan 21, 2020
Magicians:

How much you dey sell suya this boy

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Bloggeryanke: 11:51pm On Jan 21, 2020
Okpa042:

How much you dey sell suya this boy

Lolz

1 Like

Re: Remembering Nigeria’s Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget by Bloggeryanke: 12:16pm On Jan 22, 2020
grin angry

(1) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Fully Guarded By Foreign Security At A Press Conference / Gbajabiamila To Resign If House Passes Bill Granting N/A Leaders Immunity / Stay At Home - FG Advises Senior Citizens As Coronavirus Spreads Worldwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.