Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

U.S. Prepares For Start Of President Trump's Impeachment Trial In Senate - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.S. Prepares For Start Of President Trump's Impeachment Trial In Senate (242 Views)

Donald Trump's Entire Legal Team Quits A Week Before Impeachment Trial / US Election 2020: Biden Prepares For Presidency, Launches Transition Website / Donald Trump Acquited As US Senate Ends Impeachment Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

U.S. Prepares For Start Of President Trump's Impeachment Trial In Senate by Okwori12(m): 11:02pm On Jan 20, 2020
All eyes will be on the impeachment trial of U.S. President Donald Trump in the Senate on Tuesday.

In the days and weeks ahead, members of the Democratic- controlled House will serve as prosecutors while the Republican-controlled Senate acts as jurors and sets the rules.

Tuesday is expected to be largely about determining the rules and schedule of the trial.

President Trump has been impeached on two charges. The first is abuse of power over efforts to pressure the president of Ukraine to launch investigations into Trump's political rival while withholding nearly $400 billion in military aid.

The second charge is obstruction of Congress for withholding testimony and documents from investigators.

Chuck Schumer, Democratic Senate Minority Leader said, "The charges are serious, let's make no mistake about it. If a president can interfere and get... if a president can get a foreign power to interfere in our elections and determine the outcome that is against the whole essence of what America is all about. The American people should determine who their president and senator and congressmen are, not a foreign power.”

In a brief released Monday, Trump's legal team argues that no crimes were committed, and that executive privilege allows the U.S. president to keep internal deliberations private.

Trump has repeatedly dismissed the impeachment as a political witch hunt.

"We're achieving what no administration has ever achieved before, and what do I get out of it? Tell me. I get impeached. That's what I get out of it - by these radical left lunatics -I get impeached," Trump said.

One big question is whether the Senate will hear from witnesses. Democrats want administration officials like former U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton to testify.

Some Republicans appear to support having witnesses testify, but they will also likely push to hear from witnesses such as former vice president, and current presidential candidate, Joe Biden and his son Hunter, who had business dealings in Ukraine.
Re: U.S. Prepares For Start Of President Trump's Impeachment Trial In Senate by dawnomike(m): 11:23pm On Jan 20, 2020
Could this be done woth and dusted already so that everyone can rest from this... I do not see him been impeached!
Re: U.S. Prepares For Start Of President Trump's Impeachment Trial In Senate by Hyperchi(m): 11:21am On Jan 21, 2020
the world has changed , democrat thought they can sell it through news network, but they need to ask SNOOP dog why they are making it through Facebook, instagram and Twitter.

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: Chinese Government Bans Consumption Of Wild Animals / What Would You Do If Trump Returns Fot The Second Time. / N Korea’s Kim Jong Un Appears In Public Amid Health Rumors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.