Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? (45367 Views)

See The Cloth This Graduate Wore That Might Make Him Sit For Jamb Again (photo) / How Mass Communication Students Sit For Exams In Anambra University (Photos) / How Covenant University Students Sit For Exams (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by rapcy(m): 10:46am On Jan 23, 2020
OP I think you should re-sit for Jamb after getting the admission, you can then tell your dad. There are a lot of Scholarships that People don't even know of in Uni, make use of that opportunity.

I know someone who gets paid almost 100k per session from scholarships. But you must have a good GP for the first year to be able to apply for it.

Dem no dey tell man, don't waste your years hoping on one thing that you're not sure you'll graduate with a good result

ANYTHING WORTH DOING MUST BE DONE WELL...
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Firstcitizen: 11:45am On Jan 23, 2020
Prinss:
Your dad may be angry, disappointed, mad, but certainly won't disown or kill you. Call him, tell him everything and the struggles you have endured all this while. Trust me, after the initial tantrums he may put up, eventually he will support and assist you. Just be sure your decision is something you are ready to commit to.

Sometimes the greatest decisions requires the strongest will.

OP,

I beg to disagree with this advice. The body of the advice is opposed to the last phrase "Sometimes the greatest decisions requires the strongest will" You are working towards being a man now. Start acting like one to be one.

You don't have to tell you dad before hand. I know he pays the bills but it is your life. Get into the new course then tell him. He will be disappointed quite alright but will come around. This is the problem with most Nigerian parents. They forget that the degree is for the child and not for them. My son is studying medicine blah blah blah. Every parent wants the best for their kids but sometimes they take it too far to selfishly satisfy their pride and compete. You can do the course you want if you are willing to drop back to 100L without going through jamb.

Las las na weda your degree make you successful in life matter.
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by alleazardous(m): 12:30pm On Jan 23, 2020
OgbanjeProphet:
calculus simple oh. It's even simpler than you think. May be because I learnt it in secondary school.
really.... Be like say you never jam calculus.... Try and solve the questions in HK DASS
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Viserion: 12:55pm On Jan 23, 2020
SipCoke:
I apologize for the long post... So the thing is, I am 22 years old currently in 200 level. My performance is very poor, in fact I'm currently on probation(I'm suppose to be in 300 level by now) and that's not because I'm not intelligent or I'm dull o. it's just that i don't show commitment towards my studies because I've completely lost interest in the course I'm currently studying because of its calculation aspect. I hate calculations a lot. Let me say, I'm more of a theory person. I have tried applying for change of course but i was denied maybe because of my poor performance. My Father doesn't know anything about this. "no issues at all Daddy, my result is good", my response whenever he asked me about my result.

So i have finally decided to apply for withdrawal from my current school to register and sit for jamb again. This time i will apply for a course in a different institution. This course in question is a course I've wanted to study long ago but my current school don't offer it. My friend studies it and I've done research on the course my self. I'm very sure i can do it this time.

Now i don't even know how to approach my father with this. I know I've fvcked up big time. The man will be so so annoyed and disappointed in me but i can't continue like this, i want to get things on track, i want to fix my life and start afresh. Right now I'm just confused and frustrated. Nairalanders, i will need your advice and suggestions. Please what's your take on this?
mind my asking, which course is this?
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by elguaje(m): 1:21pm On Jan 23, 2020
ShenTeh:
A lot of people today who graduated with very poor class of degrees wish they started again.

It takes courage to start all over. But get your JAMB result and another admission first before you quit this one, else you may never continue with university education.

As for dad, mum is still you best channel. Mothers have a weakness around their children and a strength around their hubbies. Talk to mum if you still have one.

Otherwise, just edit this post a little and forward it to him. First tell him you are seeking advise for your very good friend. When he's done advising. Tell him very slowly that your friend is you and that you are sorry because you trully never want to disappoint him. He'll come around.

Good luck.

wow! you sound like a smart man! I was in the Same kind of situation years back. Only I got to 300level before I decided to withdraw and sat for jamb.after years of struggling to gain admission again I tried NOUN and I was given admission but my dad refused to foot the fees. He told me I have lost my opportunity but my mum stepped up at a crucial time of my life. I swear Mothers are gods!

1 Like

Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Back2Daura(m): 1:57pm On Jan 23, 2020
Change institution and start again. You will never regret it. You are still young

1 Like

Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by sidieladaniel: 2:17pm On Jan 23, 2020
AccessME:
After 4years in the university i couldn't graduate cos of carry overs and I'm about to apply 4 jamb this year cos i won't allow this first degree unfulfillment deter me from pursuing my dreams.

If i quickly notice i won't graduate from 300 level wen my carry over problems started, i would have fill another school with another course and today i would have been in my 300 level but i couldn't rather i ended up wasting more 3years hoping i will write and pass my carryovers and upto this moment I'm still at home hoping God will put a smile on my face with another admission this year.

Just go ahead and inform ur parents. It wasn't easy for me to let mine know my predicament too but i had to man up and tell them and it ended it up they didn't kill me but only got dissapointed however, today they are willing to still support me through school and see me graduate. I'm not dull so are other people with carryovers, it's juet a matter of one issue or another that mar us into such mess. It's well!
I like ur courage man, it is not easy not many pple are courageous as u
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Ajibade123(m): 2:47pm On Jan 23, 2020
For you to have this kind of courage... bro you will succeed follow your heart
See 40 personality strength you need to imbibe and weaknesses to avoid https://explicitsuccess.com/personality-strengths-and-weaknesses/
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by SipCoke: 3:21pm On Jan 23, 2020
Adabekee04:
You are still young Darling, so you can still make it. Don't tell your dad yet, I believe you can buy the jamb form from your savings? write the exam and the follow ups, get the admission on your desired course before you can withdraw and then you can talk to your Dad. I wish you well.
thank you ma'am

1 Like

Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by SipCoke: 3:36pm On Jan 23, 2020
rapcy:
OP I think you should re-sit for Jamb after getting the admission, you can then tell your dad. There are a lot of Scholarships that People don't even know of in Uni, make use of that opportunity.

I know someone who gets paid almost 100k per session from scholarships. But you must have a good GP for the first year to be able to apply for it.

Dem no dey tell man, don't waste your years hoping on one thing that you're not sure you'll graduate with a good result

ANYTHING WORTH DOING MUST BE DONE WELL...

thank you i appreciate.. Abeg bossman which scholarship be that? Make i book am keep Incase of tomorrow.
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by SipCoke: 3:42pm On Jan 23, 2020
Firstcitizen:

OP,

I beg to disagree with this advice. The body of the advice is opposed to the last phrase "Sometimes the greatest decisions requires the strongest will" You are working towards being a man now. Start acting like one to be one.

You don't have to tell you dad before hand. I know he pays the bills but it is your life. Get into the new course then tell him. He will be disappointed quite alright but will come around. This is the problem with most Nigerian parents. They forget that the degree is for the child and not for them. My son is studying medicine blah blah blah. Every parent wants the best for their kids but sometimes they take it too far to selfishly satisfy their pride and compete. You can do the course you want if you are willing to drop back to 100L without going through jamb.

Las las na weda your degree make you successful in life matter.

gratitudes sir. I appreciate
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by BigfeetNigeria: 3:56pm On Jan 23, 2020
Are you a student in any Nigerian University, Polytechnic or College of education?

Register on the FSL Students' Platform to gain access to the Latest Scholarships and Internships, Competitions and Challenges For Students, Grants, Monetary Support, and Part-time Jobs for students seeking additional income.

Join Now

https://www.feedbackstrategy.net/registration.php

Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by 21cents: 3:58pm On Jan 23, 2020
Adabekee04:
You are still young Darling, so you can still make it. Don't tell your dad yet, I believe you can buy the jamb form from your savings? write the exam and the follow ups, get the admission on your desired course before you can withdraw and then you can talk to your Dad. I wish you well.
na wetin I bin tellam be dis o.. Tor.

don't listen to those telling you "just stay there till you graduate even if it's 3rd class" ha! e no gud oo. go for a more simpler course with less calculations and try applying to a university that has minimal aspirants to facilitate your chances of admission. then break the news to your dad.

don't ever, I repeat don't ever graduate with the poor results you said you currently have O. cos most guys that graduate with 3rd class and pass wanna start all over again but no financial backings. it takes courage to pull this off but you'll love yourself for taking this decision later in the future. Your class of degree matters, forget the money you've wasted and start all over.

dropped out from federal university cos I had a bad start with poor GP. I put in much more efforts in subsequent sessions but na still my 100L results I dey see as department no gree make my GP rise. They're trying to make me look like an olodo which I'm not, I just leave them commot go another place now I dey bang 4.0+ in 200L. I felt so fawking proud of myself. Now I hold my head up high and pray God sees me thru. tho so many years have passed away and wasted with nothing to show for it, but na God understand how him dey do things. life happens.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Donwyz(m): 6:48pm On Jan 23, 2020
SipCoke:
so did you wrote jamb and got admission or you withdrew before writing jamb?
I withdrew and then channelled everything into writing jamb. You may not have the emotional strength to do same but make sure you try and move to a new course any how
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Sunrise258: 10:57pm On Jan 23, 2020
Your story reminds me of my tribulations as an undergraduate in Unilorin. Paraphrasing... Finished secondary school 2002, gained admission into unilorin 2009. Dropped out after 400L (final year) owing to many carry over and lack of sponsor coupled with strong family sabotage. Had similar problem all through Unilorin days. What caused my poor academics was that I lost my father, my only surviving parent in 100L 1st semester and that marked the beginning of my Unilorin degree pursuit. When my father died, I started doing yahoo to fend for myself. My father's family did all they could to frustrate my life. No help came from them and they even took my father's house that would have been a source of income and support from me. As a unilorin undergraduate, yahoo was source of income and being an amateur, money wasn't coming. Coping in school became practically almost impossible as financial pressure defines my studentship. No cloths, no food, going 3 days without food! House rent, and younger ones looking up to me facing something in school. Homelessness coupled with several spiritual attack from paternal line made life so unbearable for me. I finally dropped out as a homeless students sleeping around peoples house. Life was hell. I went to C&S church where I prayed for 5 years all to be revealed my uncle's wife, (my dad's immediate elder brother's wife) had taken my glory since I was a boy of 2 years!!! I became depressed, down n out. The church of God joined me in prayer and I saw this woman in my vision telling me she had gotten my glory @2 and that I am the only one she couldn't get to use his glory of all the numerous people's glory she collected. She told me she took it when I was 2 years and she gave me back a day to my 32nd birth day! My glory was imprisoned by my uncle's wife for 30 years! When I for mine, I saw numerous others, but they weren't as lucky as mine - she had succeeded in using theirs. Though I opened all other glories I saw in her evil bag, but to my surprise, some had finished! She had succeeded in using all their glory. This is just an iceberg of what I faced as an undergraduate. I will make it a movie with time.

The young guy should tell his dad what's going on asap to avoid other stories that touch.
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by alphaNomega: 12:14am On Jan 24, 2020
SipCoke:
I apologize for the long post... So the thing is, I am 22 years old currently in 200 level. My performance is very poor, in fact I'm currently on probation(I'm suppose to be in 300 level by now) and that's not because I'm not intelligent or I'm dull o. it's just that i don't show commitment towards my studies because I've completely lost interest in the course I'm currently studying because of its calculation aspect. I hate calculations a lot. Let me say, I'm more of a theory person. I have tried applying for change of course but i was denied maybe because of my poor performance. My Father doesn't know anything about this. "no issues at all Daddy, my result is good", my response whenever he asked me about my result.

So i have finally decided to apply for withdrawal from my current school to register and sit for jamb again. This time i will apply for a course in a different institution. This course in question is a course I've wanted to study long ago but my current school don't offer it. My friend studies it and I've done research on the course my self. I'm very sure i can do it this time.

Now i don't even know how to approach my father with this. I know I've fvcked up big time. The man will be so so annoyed and disappointed in me but i can't continue like this, i want to get things on track, i want to fix my life and start afresh. Right now I'm just confused and frustrated. Nairalanders, i will need your advice and suggestions. Please what's your take on this?

Complete your current course and go for a master's degree in the course you want
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Chido052(m): 9:56am On Jan 24, 2020
kevweflex:
I was supposed to study Medicine, but I end up studying Industrial Mathematics not out of choice, but I found myself there. I performed excellently at the beginning because I am intelligent. But when it was time (so I thought) for me to move on to study Medicine, I totally lost focused in Maths and wouldn't study hoping to be admitted even at the beginning of my 200 level. But at the end, my medicine dream didn't come to reality. I found myself struggling all through to my final years. But my final year was the best of grades. The reason I struggled was because all the things that I was suppose to learn from beginning are now what we are applying in 300 level and 400 level. But I took it upon myself to study hard, that I even have to teach some people who had extension. Today, I'm in the US doing IT and well for myself. The course you study doesn't define you. It will if you allow it. So if you can gather all those broken pieces and continue, you may meet up. Consider the expenses your dad will have to go through to see you achieve starting all over. All those money wasted all these semesters. My brother, fowl wey dey lay egg, yansh dey pain am o.

The IT you're doing, is it a scholarship?
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Adabekee04(f): 2:20pm On Jan 24, 2020
That's really a bold step you took, very encouraging, I pray God will see you through. I graduated with 2nd class upper. It wasn't my desired course, now I am starting over again to my dream course.
21cents:
na wetin I bin tellam be dis o.. Tor.

don't listen to those telling you "just stay there till you graduate even if it's 3rd class" ha! e no gud oo. go for a more simpler course with less calculations and try applying to a university that has minimal aspirants to facilitate your chances of admission. then break the news to your dad.

don't ever, I repeat don't ever graduate with the poor results you said you currently have O. cos most guys that graduate with 3rd class and pass wanna start all over again but no financial backings. it takes courage to pull this off but you'll love yourself for taking this decision later in the future. Your class of degree matters, forget the money you've wasted and start all over.

dropped out from federal university cos I had a bad start with poor GP. I put in much more efforts in subsequent sessions but na still my 100L results I dey see as department no gree make my GP rise. They're trying to make me look like an olodo which I'm not, I just leave them commot go another place now I dey bang 4.0+ in 200L. I felt so fawking proud of myself. Now I hold my head up high and pray God sees me thru. tho so many years have passed away and wasted with nothing to show for it, but na God understand how him dey do things. life happens.
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by kevweflex(m): 3:01pm On Jan 24, 2020
Chido052:

The IT you're doing, is it a scholarship?

Sorry for getting you confused. I graduated many years ago, and the IT is work. I'm working
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by 21cents: 5:33pm On Jan 24, 2020
Adabekee04:
That's really a bold step you took, very encouraging, I pray God will see you through. I graduated with 2nd class upper. It wasn't my desired course, now I am starting over again to my dream course.
Thank you for the prayers. but I'm thinking you could've gone for 2yrs Masters in your desired course na since you banged a 2.1 in your degree. instead of going all over again which us time wasting.
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by nnahernest(m): 12:24am On Jan 25, 2020
Brother,I have seen worst scenario than this,I will like you to chat me up on WhatsApp,let us put our heads together to find a solution.07039476669
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Nifer21(f): 12:40am On Jan 25, 2020
I think u shouldn't withdraw..If there is any other course you believe you can do better just buy change of degree form n change to another department and also saving urself the stress of writing jamb all over again n seeking for admission

And also talk to ur parents.. Start with your mom first n make her understand then u both can meet ur dad.. It is never too late
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Adabekee04(f): 3:32pm On Jan 25, 2020
I want to be fullfiled Dear, you can't get masters in pharmacy without studying it. Can you?
21cents:
Thank you for the prayers. but I'm thinking you could've gone for 2yrs Masters in your desired course na since you banged a 2.1 in your degree. instead of going all over again which us time wasting.
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by 21cents: 10:58pm On Jan 26, 2020
Adabekee04:
I want to be fullfiled Dear, you can't get masters in pharmacy without studying it. Can you?
you're right tho

1 Like

Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Anban11: 7:22pm On Nov 15, 2020
SipCoke:
you still home?
Yes.. you got a job for me? anyone at all aside fraud and robbery
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Oluwauchebest(m): 7:10pm On Feb 21, 2021
How re you bro,........ How re the progress
Have you been given admission yet?
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Oluwauchebest(m): 9:27am On Feb 22, 2021
Anban11:
Guy,Withdraw and tell ur father now. i had same iasue and i didn't open up on time, but when i did,my dad n mum were just mad but they accepted it. just that am suffering it now by looking for another admission and been depressed been at home.

Hope you've been given admission bro?
Re: Should I Withdraw From The University And Sit For JAMB Again? by Oluwauchebest(m): 9:47am On Feb 22, 2021
Anban11:
Yes.. you got a job for me? anyone at all aside fraud and robbery

Hope you've been given admission bro?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNILORIN Student Sits On The Main Road, Attempting Suicide Over Ponzi Scheme / Covenant University Punished Students For Keeping Their Hair (video) / FUTA Students Arrested For Beating Up 100 Level Female Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.