Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,246 members, 7,815,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? (737 Views)

How To Know If You're Being Scammed For Marriage / When Last Did You Send Money To Your Parent? / Parents Let's Discuss; What Are Your Experiences In Child Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by prinzedy(m): 9:53pm On Jan 22, 2020
Good evening fellow nairalanders
I'll just go straight to the point and not bore you with lengthy write up.
My marriage is coming up next month and my in-laws have told me what to pay.
However the amount is way too high and I'm thinking of discussing it with my dad if he can help in renegotiating the price.
I want to know if that's right because I'm confused right and almost fed up right now
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by donbachi(m): 10:02pm On Jan 22, 2020
no try am...woman no dey discuss her dowry...cos na dia be d koko.
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by nlPoster: 10:06pm On Jan 22, 2020

Do you mean you want to renegotiate the brideprice with your fiancee's family?

Your thread title sounds like you're a lady who disagrees with her folks on the brideprice they're requiring from her intended groom.
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by Thegeneralqueen(f): 10:11pm On Jan 22, 2020
If you are not ready for marriage kindly step back

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by sholay2011(m): 10:47pm On Jan 22, 2020
Thegeneralqueen:
If you are not ready for marriage kindly step back
Seriously?
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by Yustash001(m): 10:56pm On Jan 22, 2020
I don't think there is anything wrong in that....

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by prinzedy(m): 11:00pm On Jan 22, 2020
nlPoster:

Do you mean you want to renegotiate the brideprice with your fiancee's family?

Your thread title sounds like you're a lady who disagrees with her folks on the brideprice they're requiring from her intended groom.

No I'm the intending groom
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by pocohantas(f): 11:23pm On Jan 22, 2020
Whether you discuss it or not with them, they'll know. Abi are you going alone to marry a wife?

I don't know where you are from, but It doesn't happen in Igbo land, you must come with parents, elders and close family members. A male representative and a female one.

Your dad will sit with you, battling it out with Umunna.

Your mother will be with the Umuadas, checking if their rice, onions, tin tomatoes, stella pomade and groundnut oil is complete and of premium quality.

There are things a young modern man who only knows about Kepa, Kante and Lampard would struggle to handle on his own- this is one of them. Your degree and big prick cannot help you when those angry relatives start with you and your incomplete list. Only another experienced and versed elder can save you.

Call your father and tell him whatsup. It is even good as it will portray you people as united there. Not the one that you'll be talking A, your dad will be on M, all because you didn't carry him along with your plans.

Talk to your father, let him give you orientation- before they'll give you tray of kolanut there, you will na pick first and start eating it.

Please don't be fed up, them no dey marry wife finish. Na continuous process. grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by Sikay19(m): 11:43pm On Jan 22, 2020
kiss
Negotiation of dowry is unnecessary. Just give a reasonable amount to them and it would be received honorably. It is a common practice to request for big amount of money while it is normal for you to give what you can reasonably afford.
Note that "reasonable amount" is quite relative.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jan 22, 2020
pocohantas:
Whether you discuss it or not with them, they'll know. Abi are you going alone to marry a wife?

I don't know where you are from, but It doesn't happen in Igbo land, you must come with parents and/or elders. A male representative and a female one.

Your mother will be with the Umuadas, checking if their rice, onions, tin tomatoes, stella pomade and groundnut oil is complete and of premium quality.

There are things a young modern man who only knows about Kepa, Kante and Lampard would struggle to handle on his own- this is one of them. Your degree and big prick cannot help you when those angry relatives start with you and your incomplete list. Only another experienced and versed elder can save you.

Call your father and tell him whatsup. It is even good as it will portray you people as united there. Not the one that you'll be talking A, your dad will be on M, all because you didn't carry him along with your plans.

Talk to your father, let him give you orientation- before they'll give you tray of kolanut there, you will na pick first and start eating it.

I would really love to see a thread about other tribe's bride price and tradition. Just incase we end up with wives from other tribes. More specifically imo state

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by pocohantas(f): 12:10am On Jan 23, 2020
pcguru1:

I would really love to see a thread about other tribe's bride price and tradition. Just incase we end up with wives from other tribes. More specifically imo state

The marriage list varies across states, communities and even families. Some families are royal, some feel they are God's gift to humanity- so they will have their own list, a variant of the immediate community's own. They'll spell it out to you, you would know what you are getting into.

I said MARRIAGE LIST because the bride price itself is usually a token. Ours is N15 and they specifically ask for three N5 (MINT) notes.

When you say tradition, what do you mean?

Generally the process is pretty much the same. Whatever difference you see is most times due to the couple's financial strength. They can tweak the ocassion to their taste, without tampering with the core "tradition".
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by Nobody: 12:13am On Jan 23, 2020
pocohantas:

The marriage list varies across states, communities and even families. Some families are royal, some feel they are God's gift to humanity- so they will have their own list, a variant of the immediate community's own. They'll spell it out for you, so you would know what you are getting into.

I said MARRIAGE LIST because the bride price itself is usually a token. Ours is N15 and they specifically ask for three N5 (MINT) notes.

When you say tradition, what do you mean?

Generally the process is pretty much the same. Whatever difference you see is most times due to the couple's financial strength. They can tweak the ocassion to their taste, without tampering with the core "tradition".

I think it's the list then, someone mentioned this to me too, so I guess its within the community and family. So what happens in a scenario where the eligible husband cant meet up. Though that's not my mindset though, I dont plan not to have finance not to afford those list esp if the lady is worth it.
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by prinzedy(m): 1:09am On Jan 23, 2020
pocohantas:

I don't know where you are from, but It doesn't happen in Igbo land, you must come with parents, elders and close family members. A male representative and a female one.

Please don't be fed up, them no dey marry wife finish. Na continuous process. grin

Thanks
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by babyfaceafrica: 7:18am On Jan 23, 2020
Lolz.. Why do people charge high to their daughters prospective husband?.... Families should stop been greedy and be reasonable when it comes to dowry and marriage rites...... After fleecing the man of much capital before and after wedding, make he and the wife dey drink garri àbí?.... Parents should be reasonable, their daughter wedding should not be a pension or gratuity pay-off!!!
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by Triniti(m): 7:20am On Jan 23, 2020
Haaaa!!!! If your parents doesn’t know about the list, who else were you going to discuss it with in the first place? Or do you intend to marry behind their back?
Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by 24kmagic: 8:31am On Jan 23, 2020
Why not?

You can always renegotiate the price of a commodity you're buying.

It's all about your bargaining power.

If the owner of the commodity refuses to sell, then go buy from another seller.

Sellers plenty!

Some sellers are even tired of their commodities and it has become old stock. (AKA evening newspaper). They are willing to give it out at little or no extra cost.

Remember

Bride price = money for commodity.

Who are the commodities? You know better!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Discuss What You're Being Charged As Dowry With Your Parent? by Bola146(f): 1:17pm On Jan 23, 2020
High as in more than #50k?! if it's ibo land, you can't negotiate, but in Yoruba land, you need to talk to your fiancee, let her know your budget. After the wedding comes the marriage. Kindly take to her

(1) (Reply)

Eyewitness Enterprise (electrical Installations) @ Lagos And Environs / Did You Know ? The World Dirtiest Man, Kindly Read / What Would You Do If It Were You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.