Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Whats Your Opinion On Amotekun. To Be Or Not To Be? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Whats Your Opinion On Amotekun. To Be Or Not To Be? (216 Views)

2023: South West's Stand On Amotekun Could Cost Them Presidency - APC Chieftain / Muslim Groups Roast MURIC Boss Over Comments On Amotekun / Tinubu Breaks Silence On Amotekun, Says Dialogue With FG Will Resolve Feud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Whats Your Opinion On Amotekun. To Be Or Not To Be? by Awesome01(m): 10:53pm On Jan 22, 2020
What's your personal take on the debate on the regional defense mechanism proposed by the Southwest governors called Amotekun.

Do you support it? Why?

Are you against it? Why?
Re: Whats Your Opinion On Amotekun. To Be Or Not To Be? by Awesome01(m): 10:58pm On Jan 22, 2020
Personally, I have always been a proponent of regional government as opposed to this merging of strange bed fellows we call federalism.

We all know the reasons and aims of this initiative called Amotekun, it is a very laudable idea but we are yet to know to what extent it operations will be. Neither do we know how it will be coordinated. There are many questions that needs answering and many modalities to put in place.

For those of us that were around when the first OPC was started, you will remember it was more of a militia than a protector until sanity started coming into their operations, now its more a shadow of itself because of some overzealousness of its members which made people loose faith in them.

Coming back to this Regional Amotekun network, I'm yet to see anybody quote from the constitution (though flawed, yet still our law), an part to support or against this initiative.

My opinions and questions are as follows:

We operate a federal system of government not.regional (at least that's what my Government teacher taught us in school back then). So we shouldn't be expecting the government to see a regional setup as lawful or legal.

If the above is correct, therefore we need to take the Amotekun initiative back to be a state setup in order for it to go in tandem with the existing laws. Each state can name its own whatever it wants but In our hearts we know its a Southwest defense mechanism and we are free to have meeting based on that.

My questions are:

1. Let's say the Amotekun works out now because all the south west governors ascribe to it, what happens to the outfit if after another election, a governor say I'm no more interested or if there is a fall out between two states sharing borders, how would that be handled?

2. How would the Amotekun members and their operations be curtailed if they turn on the people of the southwest they were supposed to protect? if they turn mafia? taking laws into their hands?

3. How will they be funded, equipped and paid? Will all these also come from the federal allocations? or Will we the citizens be over taxed again to accommodate that outfit? Remember #30,000 minimum wage saga.

I love this idea. but let us know more about this venture before we put out a project that wouldn't last the test of time.

Note:: This is my personal opinion, you have a right to yours

(1) (Reply)

Who Knows Phyiscsqed's Whereabouts?? / Question! / High Performance Stone Coated Metal Roofing Tile With Warranty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.