Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Thousands March For Ex-ruler Yahya Jammeh’s Return In Gambia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Thousands March For Ex-ruler Yahya Jammeh’s Return In Gambia (403 Views)

Thousands March For Gaza In Washington, DC (Video, Photos) / Fatou Toufah Jallow: I Was Raped By Yahya Jammeh / Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Thousands March For Ex-ruler Yahya Jammeh’s Return In Gambia by newsgerian: 4:43pm On Jan 23, 2020
Thousands of supporters of Gambia’s longtime dictator, Yahya Jammeh, have protested for his right to return from exile. But accounts differ on whether an agreement is in place for him to do so.

Yahya Jammeh supporters in Gambia gathered on the outskirts of the capital, Banjul, on Thursday carrying banners, placards and photographs of the former president, who ruled from 1994 until January 2017 when he fled into exile.

The protesters from the Alliance for Patriotic Reorientation and Construction party (APRC) demanded that regional and international bodies honor an agreement allowing Jammeh, who is in exile in Equatorial Guinea, to return.

Late last week, Jammeh was allegedly heard in audio recordings insisting that he be allowed back into his country of birth.

In a recording released on social media by the deputy spokesman for his political party, a person said to be Jammeh says: “I am coming back. They said they drove me out of the country. Apart from Allah, nobody can take me out of The Gambia.”

Jammeh was pressured to leave Gambia when he refused to step down after losing elections in December 2016 to the current president, Adama Barrow, triggering massive protests and a political impasse.

“We need [Jammeh] 100 percent. We are ready to die for him,” Ismaila Colleyk, a 26-year-old supporter attending the rally, told AFP on Thursday.

“Before Jammeh left here for exile, there was an agreement for him to come back into the country after three years,” she said, referring to a promise by the United Nations, together with the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and the African Union (AU), to work with Gambia’s government to ensure Jammeh is “at liberty to return to The Gambia at any time of his choosing.”

https://newsgerian.com/thousands-march-for-ex-ruler-yahya-jammehs-return-in-gambia/

Re: Thousands March For Ex-ruler Yahya Jammeh’s Return In Gambia by Lcf69(m): 4:53pm On Jan 23, 2020
Some Africans wt mumu unfathomable
Actions,leaves us looking helpless to some saner Climes... Pinned.
Re: Thousands March For Ex-ruler Yahya Jammeh’s Return In Gambia by Aidejay(m): 5:24pm On Jan 23, 2020
Oh my God
It's been three years.....!

(1) (Reply)

Lawyers To ICC: Free Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Unconditionally / Why I Sacked Impeachment Witness – Trump / Trump Claims He'll Be 25 Points Ahead Of Biden If Not For Russia Investigation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.