Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members (808 Views)

Lawmakers Pass Bill To Establish National Assembly Budget Office / House of Reps Pass Resolution To Stop Jega’s Removal / Reps Pass 2013 Budget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by koruji(m): 3:22am On Dec 09, 2010
These people have no iota of integrity!

Reps pass Bill to make lawmakers automatic party NEC members
Font size:   Onyedi Ojiabor 09/12/2010 00:00:00
Mark
The House of Representatives yesterday passed the controversial Bill for an Act to amend the Electoral Act 2010, despite strong public opposition.

The passage of the Bill has paved the way for lawmakers to become automatic members of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of their respective political parties.

The controversial House Bill 463 is entitled: “A Bill for an Act to amend the Electoral Act, 2010 and for related Matters 2010” was jointly sponsored by Hon. C.I.D. Maduabum and Hon. Igo Aguma.

Relevant Sections of the Act amended by the House include Sections 25, 82 and 87 of the Electoral Act 2010.

Amendment of Section 25 seeks to adopt the time frame contained in the recent amendment of the Constitution passed by the National Assembly to the effect that the general elections will hold between 30 days to 150 days to the end of the tenure of the incumbent.

Amendment of Section 82 (3)(b) of the Act deletes the provision of “Independent Candidate” from the Act (S.82(3)(b).

The House said that this became necessary because the provision for independent candidate did not scale through the Houses of Assembly during the constitution amendment.

Amendment of Section 87 of the Act makes lawmakers automatic members of the National Executive Committees (NECs) of their parties.

Another salient provision in the Act is the insertion that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) will monitor political party congresses.

The passage of the Bill was not listed in the order paper for the day; it was passed when most journalists had left the chamber.

What was listed in the order paper was the submission of the report of the joint Committee on Electoral Matters, Intra and Inter Party and Justice on the Bill.

“That this House do receive the report of the joint Committee on Electoral Matters, Intra and Inter Party and Justice on a Bill for an Act to amend the Electoral Act, 2010 and for related Matter 2010 (HB 463)” was actually listed in the order paper.

The implication of the passage of the Bill in the House is that if the Senate concurs and President Goodluck Jonathan assents to the Bill, all federal parliamentarians will become automatic members of the NEC of their political parties.

It was learnt last night that the Senate is likely to pass the Bill today. A conference to harmonise differences would be conducted subsequently.

Hon. Igo Aguma, one of the sponsors of the Bill, was said to have moved a motion for it to be passed.

He could not be reached for comments last night.

Those who opposed the Bill included the National Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo, National Chairman of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) Chief Bisi Akande, Chairman of Conference of Political Parties, and others.

Stakeholders described the Bill as self-serving, adding that it would amount to gate crashing into the NEC of parties.

But the House insisted that it has the constitutional right to regulate the conduct of political parties to deepen party politics and ensure a level playing field.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/21184.html
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Kobojunkie: 9:24am On Dec 09, 2010
WOW . . . . is this the change we were promised?
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Nobody: 9:28am On Dec 09, 2010
^^^^ apparently yes! sad sad
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 09, 2010
And they say Sanusi is lying . . . . . . . . Legislooters!

The only obstacle towards a free and fair election in 2011 is Jonathan. With his ambition of do-or-die as his father OBJ, we will see more automatic tickets in the coming days. Lord be our saviour
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by mogentle(m): 10:15am On Dec 09, 2010
jabbok:

The only obstacle towards a free and fair election in 2011 is Jonathan. With his ambition of do-or-die as his father OBJ, we will see more automatic tickets in the coming days. Lord be our saviour

What concerns Jonathan with the Reps passing the bill? Are u responding to the post or u are
responding to what is disturbing your mind about the chances of your other fake friend's 'consensus' candidate in PDP. Concentrate abeg. shocked shocked
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Gbawe: 10:27am On Dec 09, 2010
jabbok:

I sense that no matter what desperate Jonathan does he will be defeated. This is the plan hatched by Nwodo and the Reps to give GEJ an advantage after Jonathan's failed in his crude attempt to amend the electoral bill to allow his appointees become delegates. Of course the reps and senators in Nigeria , without doubt, are the worst in the World. They are some of the best paid worldwide yet easily the most indolent. Laws and bills that can accelerate the development of Nigeria are never passed by these thieves masquerading as lawmakers. In Jonathan they have the perfect hostage i.e a desperate President who will allow them do as they want so long as he gets the PDP ticket and ultimately the keys to Aso Rock in 2011. This is pretty much what obtains everywhere else and with everyone i.e virtually all self-serving leaders are wringing one payday or another out of GEJ. Case in point OGD and the Ogun State impeachment debacle.

When the fireworks begin (and it surely will) I hope we will all remember to blame Jonathan and his selfish ambition that is now proving very costly to achieve with all the terrible precedence being set everywhere and the crude inducement/pacification of misrulers and self-serving leaders. I have always said that Jonathan's ambition is very dangerous for Nigeria. We are all seeing how desperation has blinded GEJ to decency and what Nigeria really needs.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Gbawe: 10:34am On Dec 09, 2010
mogentle:

What concerns Jonathan with the Reps passing the bill? Are u responding to the post or u are
responding to what is disturbing your mind about the chances of your other fake friend's 'consensus' candidate in PDP. Concentrate abeg. shocked shocked

My friend, Nwodo came up with this idea. Search Nigerian newsources. Does it make sense and is it priority for reps , at this point, to insist on being automatic NEC members if a certain desperate candidate does not require their services perhaps to neutralise the influence of the Governors (as Nwodo put it) ?
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 09, 2010
mogentle:

Don't show how naive u r by taking this recent NASS action as an unconnected event. We know who is giving them the impetus to come back en-mass come 2011. If Jonathan wants to be president at all cost, how can it be a crime for the legislators to do the same? The equilibrium has shifted, and this election will surely make or mar Naija.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Gbawe: 11:02am On Dec 09, 2010
jabbok:

Don't show how naive u r by taking this recent NASS action as an unconnected event. We know who is given them the impetus to come back en-mass come 2011. If Jonathan wants to be president at all cost, how can it be a crime for the legislators to do the same? The equilibrium has shifted, and this election will surely make or mar Naija.

Indeed. That is why I said we must remember to blame GEJ when there is a strong and , maybe , even violent reaction to his incessant attempt to occupy Aso Rock by force in 2011. This is the same guy who confessed that he was not chosen to be VP because of his political sagacity. He stated that others are far better than him. The system believes this too and this is why Jonathan does not have natural support. Nobody genuinely believes his political ability is above that of others. He then only has our money , to be used as bribe, as his most potent tool. His attempt to bribe his way to the Presidency next year will surely be resisted . We will not have another "Shagari" in power , just to please some selfish enemies of Nigeria's progress, when others who are far more competent and deserving than GEJ abound.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/wikileaks-cable-nigeria-i-lack-administrative-experience-jonathan-tells-us-ambassador

The most revealing part of the cable was the point where Jonathan confessed to his ineptitude, “I was not chosen to be Vice President because I had good political experience,” he said. “I did not. There were a lot more qualified people around to be Vice President, but that does not mean I am not my own man.”   Further, he said,   “not a politician” and had very limited experience as an administrator".
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by YarisMan(m): 11:48am On Dec 09, 2010
^^^^^^^^
I' M TIRED OF PDP,
pls VOTE THEM OOOOOOUUUUTTTTTTT.!!!!!
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by excanny: 12:02pm On Dec 09, 2010
I wonder the kind of law makers we have in Nigeria. Anyway, there's a 0.000000001% possibility to find a honorable member of the PDP. I can not still fathom why these people would still go ahead to pass this bill after there was a resounding NO by members of the public at the public hearing organised by this same NASS.

I know that Jonathan who can stop this madness would be happy with the recent development. The only hope we have now is stopping these self-serving legislators is through the courts. I hope that the likes of Olisa Agbakoba, a champion of the masses, will take the NASS to the cleaners at the courts like he's always done recently.

I wonder what Nigeria did to be punished with these sets of people in government.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Gbawe: 12:40pm On Dec 09, 2010
Awon Ole. As if they don't get enough money already.

[img]http://www.punchng.com/admin/pictures/leisure/PunchAdmin01_EDITORIAL%20CARTOON%20%20DEC.%209,%202010.jpg[/img]
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Dec 09, 2010
It would be in Nigeria's best interest if we worked to loose as many of these deadweights we can come next election.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by desgiezd(m): 6:19pm On Dec 09, 2010
excanny:

I can not still fathom why these people would still go ahead to pass this bill after there was a resounding NO by members of the public at the public hearing organised by this same NASS.

They would have bothered had we voted them into office but since our votes didnt count to them, why then should they bother themselves about our feelings.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by jamace(m): 6:27pm On Dec 09, 2010
Did they not say, the bill was going to be put to public debate, to hear from Nigerians before anything else or am I missing something here?
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by tolu001: 7:11pm On Dec 09, 2010
hmm. . . this GEJ and his desperate attempt to hook onto power by all means is not a good omen for nigeria. I guess this is their way of reciprocating his "kind gestures" after they have been given automatic return ticket (i wonder what happens to democracy where they power lies with the people).

GEJ is just a toy in the hands of his handlers, he is totally clueless
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 09, 2010
You guys will know how connected this is to Jonathan when he signs the bill into law. If there is any one time the President's veto power is helpful; this is the moment. If Jonathan signs this bill into law, then he is clearly the brainchild of the bill.

But at the end of the day, this is a waste of time. This bill will be challenged and defeated in court. Just like it is the prerogative of Political parties to choose for themselves who their flagbearer will be, it is also the prerogative of the parties to choose their NEC members.

You can not legislate who the leaders of a political party should be given that the party itself is a congregation of free people who have chosen to associate freely given their fundamental human rights of freedom of association as enshrined in the constitution.

Where is the freedom of association? where is the freedom of choice? where is the democracy? when the NASS want to legislate on who can and can not be an NEC member of a political party?.

This bill is an excersize in futility and one of the Political parties should immediately challenge the bill in court and also immediately obtain an order of mandamus compelling the NASS to abstain from interfering in the private affairs of Political parties as that is the position of the law.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Nobody: 8:05pm On Dec 09, 2010
mikeansy:

You guys will know how connected this is to Jonathan when he signs the bill into law.[s] If there is any one time the President's veto power is helpful; this is the moment. If Jonathan signs this bill into law, then[/s] he is clearly the brainchild of the bill.

But at the end of the day, this is a waste of time. This bill will be challenged and defeated in court. Just like it is the prerogative of Political parties to choose for themselves who their flagbearer will be, it is also the prerogative of the parties to choose their NEC members.

You can not legislate who the leaders of a political party should be given that the party itself is a congregation of free people who have chosen to associate freely given their fundamental human rights of freedom of association as enshrined in the constitution.

Where is the freedom of association? where is the freedom of choice? where is the democracy? when the NASS want to legislate on who can and can not be an NEC member of a political party?.

This bill is an excersize in futility and one of the Political parties should immediately challenge the bill in court and also immediately obtain an order of mandamus compelling the NASS to abstain from interfering in the private affairs of Political parties as that is the position of the law.
why not hit the nail on jonathan's head ? This is a useless bill.if i may ask,why passing such into law when the national assembly members are not made of pdp members only ? Is the law binding on AC,and other oppositions members ? Mschew
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by excanny: 8:40pm On Dec 09, 2010
Just to give the house a review of what went down at the public hearing on this bill organized by the NASS.

jamace:

Did they not say, the bill was going to be put to public debate, to hear from Nigerians before anything else or am I missing something here?

Members of the public and
other stakeholders had
mobilized to the venue of the
hearing to boo and jeer at the
promoters of the amendment
largely described as over-
regulation of the parties during
the question and answer session.
The hearing was characterized by
booing and jeering of
proponents of the bill by
members of the public mostly
women who mobilized to the
venue of the event. The deputy
speaker, Hon. Usman Bayero
Nafada, who is also Chairman of
the House Committee on
Constitution Review, had to
intervene before normalcy
returned to the hearing.
The Deputy Speaker told
participants and the audience
that the situation was almost
turning into a war zone “but we
are expected to only listen and
allow stakeholders to make their
submission after which we can
study and work on that
submission. ”
Every other stakeholder at the
hearing with the exception of the
lawmakers opposed the bill

www.thewillnigeria.com/politics/6724-NEC-Membership-Stakeholders-Boo-NASS-Critics-Are-Ignorant---Mark.html
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by excanny: 8:49pm On Dec 09, 2010
^^^
It seemed the public hearing was a charade after all, since the NASS still went ahead to pass the controversial bill. With the likes of Mark, it appears Nigeria has a long, long way to go as a country.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Make Lawmakers Automatic Party Nec Members by Canisma(m): 9:06pm On Dec 09, 2010
I ve always luvd my gej, and as a federal public servant, i owe him my support for his goodies. But then, the truth must be told. He has not done enough to prove his accusers wrong- they say he is weak. Signing this bill will confirm that, pointblank. I just hope he does'nt. The fact is this, GEJ is the best candidate so far but he is running under the worst party so far too. PDP is a mess we all have to live with. Now they have stolen the ddc machine. Who will save us from them. Nigerian politics is as exciting as seasonal movies and IM LUVIN IT.

(1) (Reply)

Two Adamawa And Taraba Pdp Members Launch Legal Bid To Stop Atiku / Does Nuhu Ribadu Own Oil Blocks In Nigeria, Mansions In Dubai, Europe, & U.S? / Inec Error Could Hand Tinubu Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.