Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,482 members, 7,819,758 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

The Shanty Boy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Shanty Boy (3434 Views)

President Obama's Slumdog Brother: Meet The Hopeless Drunk From A Nairobi Shanty / Makoko Shanty For Demolition / Good News! Shanty Boy Finds A Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Shanty Boy by LocalChamp: 9:59am On Dec 09, 2010
The shanty boy

BY PATIENCE OGBO

December 8, 2010 11:12PM

Five-year-old Ayo Olaniyi is not in school like other children.

At four he had started fending for himself, by running errands for adults at Otto/Ilogbo slum community in the Ebute Metta area of the state in exchange for a roof over his head. Ayo’s plight began at age two, when his parents separated. His father, Eweola Olaniyi, lost all his property and money to the fire that gutted the over hundred shanties at the slum in February this year. Mrs Olaniyi reportedly walked away from the marriage when things became too difficult, taking her one-year-old daughter along and leaving Ayo, then aged two, with his father.

And then, it got worse when Mr Olaniyi passed away in April 2009. Subsequently, Ayo was left with no family member to cater for him. He is surviving on the charity of the community, which has over twenty thousand slum dwellers. The residents were also affected by the fire that destroyed most of the shanties. They said they made frantic efforts to locate Ayo’s mother or any of his relations, to no avail. “Ayo stayed with me for a while but he is just roaming about in this place,” said Ishola Musbua, the Chairman of the Otto/Ilogbo Community Development Association. “And the residents take turn to cater for him. Today he will eat in this house, tomorrow he will go to another house to eat and bath so his situation is pathetic and we want the government to come to his rescue.”

Seeking government’s help

NEXT investigations revealed that Ayo’s father, the late Mr Olaniyi, was a native of Idanre in Ekiti State, while his mother, Zainab Olaniyi, is from Kwara State. Ayo is presently staying with one Oladapo Shodia, a father of three, who resides in a room shanty at Otto slum. “Ayo has been staying with me and my family for the past one year,” he said. “Our house is just a shanty because since the fire incident, we are barely surviving here at Otto. Initially, he was going to school, but I cannot cater for his schooling needs for now, because things are tight for me and my family. The boy needs a good home, and his mother is nowhere to be found. Every day, you see him wandering in the community and picking up dirt to eat, until somebody will take pity on him and give him something to eat. So life is hard for the boy and government should not neglect him. Since his father died, we have tried to locate his mother, and his family but no success yet, so government and good people should come and take Ayo to a better home.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5651145-146/story.csp

Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 09, 2010
Are we posting this to do something about it? To help an orphan?

Or are we posting this t laugh and point fingers at a boy left without a home, with no parent to provide for him? Nigerians. Sighs and walk off.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Kobojunkie: 10:08am On Dec 09, 2010
This is really sad cry
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 09, 2010
May your God bless you, Mr Oladapo. For you to hear the cry of a young helpless child, may [b]your [/b]cries never go unheard.

Condition is not permanent. Every breath we take has its purpose. Who knows if you were created to see for that young boy. Ile aye ile asan.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Blazay(m): 10:20am On Dec 09, 2010
So we have street urchins in Lagos metropolis? tongue

Unbelievable. tongue

What are they called again in Northern Nigeria? cheesy

Mrs Olaniyi reportedly walked away from the marriage when things became too difficult, taking her one-year-old daughter along and leaving Ayo, then aged two, with his father.

Nigerian marriage. grin

On a more serious note. . .people should not give birth to children they cannot afford to take care of. How can you be having sexual relations while living in a 'shanty park'? undecided

There should be strict penalties in Nigeria for ANY one who decides to have irresponsible marital relationships without the financial means of maintaining such shabby unions.

Look at the result? Poor children brought into the world to suffer unecessarily. What a social menace. I think Nigeria should be like China. Any person that gives birth to a child he or she cannot afford, owes the government some penalties.
Re: The Shanty Boy by fummylolah: 10:26am On Dec 09, 2010
, Why not take the boy is a motherless home and give him up for adoption, I guess if anything happens to him, then we would know he has relations, What a start for this young man (man because he has learnt to survive against all odds),
Re: The Shanty Boy by DapoBear(m): 10:26am On Dec 09, 2010
sad

How can I help this kid out? I'd donate money, but is there even a mechanism to ensure it reaches him and isn't stolen?
Re: The Shanty Boy by Kobojunkie: 10:32am On Dec 09, 2010
fummylolah:

, Why not take the boy is a motherless home and give him up for adoption, I guess if anything happens to him, then we would know he has relations, What a start for this young man (man because he has learnt to survive against all odds),

Do you realize how stressed those homes are at this point? We are speaking here of a system where the government cares little for the children and you think motherless homes will have all the needed resources to do a better job for them?
Re: The Shanty Boy by Blazay(m): 10:37am On Dec 09, 2010
The government of Ekiti state should be forwarded this link.

Where are all those Ekiti breeding machines on NL and FB. . .?

Time to put your money where your mouths always is. . . wink

Come and claim one of your children.

Next, the government of Kwara state should be notified, since his mother is from Kwara state.

Both states need to pick up the tab for this little boy before he finds himself in some ritualist's pot.

Worse still. . .a pedo-philic tail.

This is frightening.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

sad

How can I help this kid out? I'd donate money, but is there even a mechanism to ensure it reaches him and isn't stolen?

He is two years old, how will the money reach him?
The best that can be done is to find a trustworthy  Ekiti person in Lagos to send money to. We have to also be sure to not only see to the child's wellbeing, but also to the kind-hearted Oladapo that took Ayo under his wings.

Mrs. Olaniyi is just something else. I cant imagine leaving my child motherless and separating him from his sister. Nigerian women and their mentality that sons belong to their father while the daughters belong with their mother. I mean, how could you even leave your child behind? While many are praying for children. Makes no sense.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 09, 2010
fummylolah:

,  Why not take the boy is a motherless home and give him up for adoption,  I guess if anything happens to him, then we would know he has relations,  What a start for this young man (man because he has learnt to survive against all odds),

Ehrmm, in Nigeria? hmm. So how are we sure the child will be [i]safe [/i]after the drop off?
When did Nigeria system started looking after "adopted" children?
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 10:43am On Dec 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Are we posting this to do something about it? To help an orphan?

Or are we posting this t laugh and point fingers at a boy left without a home, with no parent to provide for him? Nigerians. Sighs and walk off.

Like you knew Blazay would pop up & vomit all over the thread, as usual:

Blazay:

So we have street urchins in Lagos metropolis? tongue

Unbelievable. tongue

What are they called again in Northern Nigeria? cheesy

Nigerian marriage. grin

On a more serious note. . .people should not give birth to children they cannot afford to take care of. How can you be having sexual relations while living in a 'shanty park'? undecided

There should be strict penalties in Nigeria for ANY one who decides to have irresponsible marital relationships without the financial means of maintaining such shabby unions.

Look at the result? Poor children brought into the world to suffer unecessarily. What a social menace. I think Nigeria should be like China. Any person that gives birth to a child he or she cannot afford, owes the government some penalties.

Re: The Shanty Boy by DapoBear(m): 10:44am On Dec 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

He is two years old, how will the money reach him?
The best that can be done is to find a trustworthy  Ekiti person in Lagos to send money to. We have to also be sure to not only see to the child's wellbeing, but also to the kind-hearted Oladapo that took Ayo under his wings.

Mrs. Olaniyi is just something else. I cant imagine leaving my child motherless and separating him from his sister. Nigerian women and their mentality that sons belong to their father while the daughters belong with their mother. I mean, how could you even leave your child behind? While many are praying for children. Makes no sense.

I facebooked Patience Ogbo. Maybe she will know of a way to make sure that money safely reaches him.

I honestly think he should be sent back to Ekiti State rather than living in Lagos, too.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Blazay(m): 10:48am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

I facebooked Patience Ogbo. Maybe she will know of a way to make sure that money safely reaches him.

I honestly think he should be sent back to Ekiti State rather than living in Lagos, too.

Thank you jare.

Not a bad chap afterall. . .   undecided

ziddy:

Like you knew Blazay would pop up & vomit all over the thread, as usual:

Lucky ya. . .I am in a good mood today.

cheesy grin cheesy

*pukes*
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

awwww, that is so sweet of you. God bless.

Sent back to who?

Are you seriously willingly to help? I'm in.
Re: The Shanty Boy by DapoBear(m): 10:54am On Dec 09, 2010
Well, the "to who" part is still an open question. . .if the community has had such difficult time locating relatives, then perhaps this is for a good reason sad

But the likelihood of him growing up and becoming an area boy is less likely in Ekiti than in Lagos. Plus it is a bit cheaper to live and school over there, I think.

Anyway, let's see what this woman says (if she even responds to my message!)

Ideally there would be some sort of charity that you could directly send money to on his behalf, and that would spend the money on him for education, food, housing, etc.

Does such exist in Nigeria?
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Well, the "to who" part is still an open question. . .if the community has had such difficult time locating relatives, then perhaps this is for a good reason sad

But the likelihood of him growing up and becoming an area boy is less likely in Ekiti than in Lagos. Plus it is a bit cheaper to live and school over there, I think.

Anyway, let's see what this woman says (if she even responds to my message!)

Ideally there would be some sort of charity that you could directly send money to on his behalf, and that would spend the money on him for education, food, housing, etc.

Does such exist in Nigeria?

No, 75% of the charity usually helps those greedy ppl's belly get rounder. I dont trust them.
That wont do it! *stumps foot* sigh

But let's wait and see. Keep me updated!
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 11:01am On Dec 09, 2010
I need two people to join me in rehabilitating this child. Please!

We need to get him back to school and perhaps his mother

Mail: oladapo@usa.com

N.B: I'm not Mr. Oladapo Shodia
Re: The Shanty Boy by Blazay(m): 11:04am On Dec 09, 2010
Up Ekiti state!

Not for mouth o. . . let us see some action.

Governor Fayemi should be notified asap.

We are watching all of you. . .this boy must not go missing.

I will hold you all responsible.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 09, 2010
dappssee:

I need two people to join me in rehabilitating this child. Please!

We need to get him back to school and perhaps his mother

Mail: oladapo@usa.com

N.B: I'm not Mr. Oladapo Shodia

Do you think you're funny?

You ppl are so disgusting. Dont you know when to stop scamming? Kai.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 11:07am On Dec 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Do you think you're funny?

You ppl are so disgusting. Dont you know when to stop scamming? Kai.

You must be very stup!d. If you don't want to help this child you shut the f*ck up. You're an id!ot for that.

I have a job and a family. Go get yours loser
Re: The Shanty Boy by DapoBear(m): 11:08am On Dec 09, 2010
@dapsee: Are you on Yahoo Messenger? I just messaged you.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 11:10am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

@dapsee: Are you on Yahoo Messenger? I just messaged you.

dappssee.

I'm thinking of paying his school fees and clothes. I need someone that can help trace his mother and someone for his feeding.

I'll contact 234Next. Don't even have an idea where that slum is
Re: The Shanty Boy by DapoBear(m): 11:10am On Dec 09, 2010
I think she was confused by the @usa.com email, I've never seen one like that before in my life
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 09, 2010
dappssee:

You must be very stup!d. If you don't want to help this child you shut the bleep up. You're an id!ot for that.

I have a job and a family. Go get yours loser

"@usa.com"

ehrrm yea.

Dapo, plz let me know when the lady replies you.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 11:12am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

I think she was confused by the @usa.com email, I've never seen one like that before in my life

I've been using that e-mail addy for over 7 years now
Re: The Shanty Boy by Blazay(m): 11:12am On Dec 09, 2010
The mother and sister are prolly dead.

Anyone notice the boy's last name is "Olaniyi"?

Very omninous.

Hmm!
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 09, 2010
dappssee:

dappssee.

I'm thinking of paying his school fees and clothes. I need someone that can help trace his mother and someone for his feeding.

I'll contact 234Next. Don't even have an idea where that slum is

Why would you want to take him back to the woman that left him? Dont you think if she cared, she would have taken him along?

Trace the child back to his father's house. We take care of our children. No Ekiti woman would leave her child.

Thank you.
Re: The Shanty Boy by DapoBear(m): 11:17am On Dec 09, 2010
dappssee:

I've been using that e-mail addy for over 7 years now

@IlekeIdI: Yeah, I checked it out, it looks legit. www.email.com offers different free email address domains, one of which is usa.com. Just seemed weird, I've never seen it before in my life.
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Why would you want to take him back to the woman that left him? Dont you think if she cared, she would have taken him along?

Trace the child back to his father's house. We take care of our children. No Ekiti woman would leave her child.

Thank you.

She left with one of the children didn't she?
Re: The Shanty Boy by Blazay(m): 11:21am On Dec 09, 2010
There is always an air-headed confusionist in the midst of things.

Whoever heard of the NL "blonde" from Ekiti State?.

Fake ars*e

Phoooeeee!!!
Re: The Shanty Boy by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 09, 2010
DapoBear:

@IlekeIdI: Yeah, I checked it out, it looks legit. www.email.com offers different free email address domains, one of which is usa.com. Just seemed weird, I've never seen it before in my life.
Yea, just be careful.

1. The name [oladapo], coincidence that it's same name?

2. If you're in Nigeria, why "@usa.com"?

Something is very fishy.

dappssee:

She left with one of the children didn't she?

Makes no difference if she left with 1 1/2. Point is, she left her child behind, and she separated two siblings who prolly didnt want to be separated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ghana Is Positioned To Become West Africa’s Premier Gateway Country -Cry Nigeria / How Has Your State Governor Fared? / Igbo Boys Of Virginia Matching Towards Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.