Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

Nigerian Legislators' Loot: The Amazing Figures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Legislators' Loot: The Amazing Figures (901 Views)

Salaries Of Federal And State Legislators - Vanguard / Anti-Gay Bill: “Go Back To School” Soyinka Tells Nigerian Legislators / A Comparative Analysis Of Nigerian Legislators‘ Earnings With Other Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Legislators' Loot: The Amazing Figures by swoosh(m): 10:52am On Dec 09, 2010
According to the CBN governor, Nigeria's Natuonal Assembly gulped
21% of overhead in 2008
26% of overhead in 2009, and now
25% of overhead in 2010.

This means these guys' looting is on the increase over the years and what have they offered in return? passing only 13 bills out of over 100.

Here;s what Analysts have figured out:

1. It costs tax payers N290million yearly to maintain each member of our National Assembly in a country where 80% of the population earn below 300 naira a day (or N109,500= in a year). N300 = 2 USD (approx)

2. A working day earning of a Senator is more than a yearly income of a doctor.
3. It is more than the annual salary of 42 army generals
4. It is more than the annual salary of 48 Nigerian professors
5. It is more than the annual pay of 70 commissioners of police
6. It is more than twice the pay of the US President
7. It is 9 times the salary of US congressmen
Re: Nigerian Legislators' Loot: The Amazing Figures by Nobody: 11:04am On Dec 09, 2010
Are we still laffing?
Re: Nigerian Legislators' Loot: The Amazing Figures by jamace(m): 1:43pm On Dec 09, 2010
N-L-Ceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! What are you waiting for? Here is something serious to strike about! angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Legislators' Loot: The Amazing Figures by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 09, 2010
jamace:

N-L-Ceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! What are you waiting for? Here is something serious to strike about! angry angry angry angry angry angry

I've said it time and again that this should be the basis for NLC's strike but trust the kinda peeps you have there. They're fighting for their pockets
Re: Nigerian Legislators' Loot: The Amazing Figures by maro23(m): 3:42pm On Dec 09, 2010
swoosh:

According to the CBN governor, Nigeria's Natuonal Assembly gulped
21% of overhead in 2008
26% of overhead in 2009, and now
25% of overhead in 2010.

This means these guys' looting is on the increase over the years and what have they offered in return? passing only 13 bills out of over 100.
dappssee link=topic=565145.msg7300793#msg7300793 date=1291889086:

Are we still laffing?
dappssee:

I've said it time and again that this should be the basis for NLC's strike but trust the kinda peeps you have there. They're fighting for their pockets

Hi my fellow Nigerians

Two weeks ago I had a discussion with a friend of mine. I told him we spend about 2/3 of our budget on overhead cost (in other words on the government) The budget for 2010 is about N4.6 trillion. Only N1.7trillion is claimed to be used directly on developing the country! The remainder is used on overhead. My friend was shocked. I had the same discussion with someone else and was told I was crying wolf in vain!

Last week the CBN gov. discovered that a quarter of the budget is used on Senators alone. As far as I am concerned about half of the budget is used on rulers in political offices and only 1/6 on civil servants! (This hasn't part hasn't been verified yet) Anyhow you look at this, it's really unfair. Two thirds of the budget used on less than 2% of the country and the remaining third on the whole country (of course including the 2%). It's saddening. At least there is some hope.

I am quite impressed to hear that GDP per capita is familiar economic term. I won't bother trying to emphasize how little our GDP is when compared to our population. But guess what, having a large population isn't supposed to be a curse, and the solution certainly isn't killing every other person!

The solution is quite simple in words, it could be simpler in action if we can utilize our limited resources on what's really important. For our GDP per capita to increase, we have to produce more, and we also have to engage more people in the production process. We need to turn our population to human resources. It is important at this point to know that the production process does not end until the product is in the hands of the consumers. It's not entirely an easy process, it requires more than textbook economics. I can't write all the solutions here (some crazy lying politicians might steal it to use in their manifesto), but there's definitely a way out of this mess we are in.

Here are a few of my humble suggestions (believe me there are more)

1. The highest paid government official should earn 2.5 times the minimum wage

2. Senators should live in their constituencies, permanently. Their end of month take home pay should be no more than twice the minimum wage. A basic salary and allowances equal to the minimum wage.

3. Aspiring Senators must have laptops before they can contest. If they don't have then their constituencies should provide one for them. Meetings will be held via internet enabled video conferencing.

4. Governors must be based permanently in their states. They should not spend but invest their state budgetary allocations. To invest means to spend money on assets and not liabilities. Assets rarely reduce in value. This means by the end of the year the state should have earned more than it received thereby making more money for increased investing and raising the standards of living.

5. There should be mass employment on the part of the government. At least 5 million people should be employed over the space of 3 months initially so that over 60 million will be employed in the space of 2 years.

We have to find a way of making these suggestions laws. That is the real challenge. If they can be done then politics won't be a lucrative business anymore and we'd stop having square pegs in round holes!

We have to make these suggestions laws, that is going to be a step in the right direction. I don't think senators will want to help. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think we have to do this ourselves.

I'm very open to your comments, additions et al
Re: Nigerian Legislators' Loot: The Amazing Figures by jamace(m): 6:48am On Dec 10, 2010
Hi my fellow Nigerians

Two weeks ago I had a discussion with a friend of mine. I told him we spend about 2/3 of our budget on overhead cost (in other words on the government) The budget for 2010 is about N4.6 trillion. Only N1.7trillion is claimed to be used directly on developing the country! The remainder is used on overhead. My friend was shocked. I had the same discussion with someone else and was told I was crying wolf in vain!

Last week the CBN gov. discovered that a quarter of the budget is used on Senators alone. As far as I am concerned about half of the budget is used on rulers in political offices and only 1/6 on civil servants! (This hasn't part hasn't been verified yet) Anyhow you look at this, it's really unfair. Two thirds of the budget used on less than 2% of the country and the remaining third on the whole country (of course including the 2%). It's saddening. At least there is some hope.

I am quite impressed to hear that GDP per capita is familiar economic term. I won't bother trying to emphasize how little our GDP is when compared to our population. But guess what, having a large population isn't supposed to be a curse, and the solution certainly isn't killing every other person!

The solution is quite simple in words, it could be simpler in action if we can utilize our limited resources on what's really important. For our GDP per capita to increase, we have to produce more, and we also have to engage more people in the production process. We need to turn our population to human resources. It is important at this point to know that the production process does not end until the product is in the hands of the consumers. It's not entirely an easy process, it requires more than textbook economics. I can't write all the solutions here (some crazy lying politicians might steal it to use in their manifesto), but there's definitely a way out of this mess we are in.

[b]Here are a few of my humble suggestions (believe me there are more)

1. The highest paid government official should earn 2.5 times the minimum wage

2. Senators should live in their constituencies, permanently. Their end of month take home pay should be no more than twice the minimum wage. A basic salary and allowances equal to the minimum wage.

3. Aspiring Senators must have laptops before they can contest. If they don't have then their constituencies should provide one for them. Meetings will be held via internet enabled video conferencing.

4. Governors must be based permanently in their states. They should not spend but invest their state budgetary allocations. To invest means to spend money on assets and not liabilities. Assets rarely reduce in value. This means by the end of the year the state should have earned more than it received thereby making more money for increased investing and raising the standards of living.

5. There should be mass employment on the part of the government. At least 5 million people should be employed over the space of 3 months initially so that over 60 million will be employed in the space of 2 years.[/b]

We have to find a way of making these suggestions laws. That is the real challenge. If they can be done then politics won't be a lucrative business anymore and we'd stop having square pegs in round holes!

We have to make these suggestions laws, that is going to be a step in the right direction. I don't think senators will want to help. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think we have to do this ourselves.

I'm very open to your comments, additions et al

Your suggestions are great!

These politicians have looted Nigeria dry.
Nigerians, and NLC in particular, should join Sanusi Lamido in crying out loud.

(1) (Reply)

What Can Nigeria Learn From Brazil? / North Not Born To Rule –shagari, Sokoto Dep Gov / President Writes Ojukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.