Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,315 members, 7,822,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Coronavirus: Remember The Ebola Virus Treatment? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus: Remember The Ebola Virus Treatment? (359 Views)

Federal Government Begins Screening Of Ebola Virus At Lagos Airport / The Lies Bbc And The Cnn Want Us To Believe About The Ebola Epidemic / Remembering Nurse Justina Ejelonu Who Died During The Ebola Outbreak (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus: Remember The Ebola Virus Treatment? by leeport: 8:46am On Jan 26, 2020
Coronavirus: Remember the Ebola virus treatment?

I did a quick research on coronavirus and its statistics so far. And I discovered that it's having a high presence in Asia, Europe and America.

Sometimes ago, when Ebola virus was prevalent in Africa, particularly Liberia, Nigeria, Guinea and Sierra Leone, some Americans and European countries treated Africans with disdain, ridicule and contempt making Ebola a major instrument of discrimination.

I could remember vividly, so many instances of segregation by the whites who felt irritated by the sight of Africans during that period not to mention travel restrictions. To them, all known and unknown viruses and diseases have/had their origin in Africa. Pathetic!

During the Ebola outbreak, I recall a story that emanated from Staten Island in New York. One woman said she was forced to take temporary, unpaid leave from her job because of her nationality, she was a Liberian.
Liberians in Minnesota, USA, were told to leave work after sneezing or coughing.

In New Jersey, two elementary school students from Rwanda were kept out of school after some parents pressured school officials.

At Navarro College, a public community college in Texas, officials mailed letters rejecting international applicants from African countries, even ones from countries without confirmed Ebola cases.

And then so many Nigerians and Africans were denied VISA, manhandled and arrested and deported at airports.

These are just few cases of the discrimination.

For Ebola, (I'll agree) those fears were driven by the circumstances of the virus — its high mortality rate, its gruesome symptoms, its origins on a continent often misunderstood by Americans — even though the odds of contracting it in the US remained low.

An average American sees Africa as a small "Angwan" (permit me to use that word) that is surrounded by bushes, forest and animals and also humans who behave like these same animals.

Mighty wonder, I thought these other continents and their inhabitants are glamorously sterile not until the Coronavirus crawled into China.

While, the coronavirus spreads from Asia to America and to other countries, we do not need this in Africa and strict preventive measures should be put in place by the governments of African countries.

Please don’t misunderstand me, this is not a mockery of people from these countries or those affected by coronavirus, it is just a timely reminder that we are all humans and we all need to have open minds towards others.

It’s painful that China cannot celebrate Lunar New Year, the first in this decade. It’s painful that parents are separated from children and grandparents from grandchildren but what is important is that the world needs people and leaders who are more receptive.

Oh, well, I think that is it.

- Brightest Okuta, Abuja. cool

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Remember The Ebola Virus Treatment? by money121(m): 8:47am On Jan 26, 2020
God take control ooo
Re: Coronavirus: Remember The Ebola Virus Treatment? by chukxie(m): 9:34am On Jan 26, 2020
There are three standards to every thing : one for whites, the other for Asians and mixed race people and the last for blacks. Sadly, how one is treated, accorded respect...is dependent on the colour of one's skin. The Chinese are aware of this unwritten rule so well, and that is why you see them striving hard to tell their unique stories by themselves rather than allowing the white man to do it for them because the white man takes great pleasure in distorting historical, cultural...facts. If the Coronavirus currently ravaging Wuhan, and some other parts of China ( I'm in China by the way) had emanated from a black African country, the whites would have called us primitive buffoons for eating wild animals suspected to have caused the Coronavirus. Stark generations would have inundated their write-ups. But with China, it is pertinent to note the West pick their words carefully. It is safe to say they (the Western press/reporters) fear China because of China's economic power. Africa needs to learn a lot of important lessons to China such as not allowing outsiders to tell our stories, building vibrant and prosperous economies across all Sub-Saharan countries...It is high time black African leaders woke up from their neverending comatos. We can not afford to perpetually remain the butt of all jokes.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Remember The Ebola Virus Treatment? by yanabasee(m): 9:44am On Jan 26, 2020
With this being said..... The African leaders will not take any precautionary measures to retreat and prevent this ailment from penetrating into Africa..
Re: Coronavirus: Remember The Ebola Virus Treatment? by tj4luck(m): 10:51am On Jan 26, 2020
GREAT NEWS TO ALL THE MEN

SAFE Your Marriage/Affair With The 100% Effective Remedy (NO SIDE EFFECT) To CONQUER Weak Erection, Small Manhood, And Premature Ejaculation Within 14 Days

DON'T EXPOSE YOUR WIFE TO INFIDELITY

CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE https://naturehealthline.club/ejac/
Re: Coronavirus: Remember The Ebola Virus Treatment? by blaise26abj(m): 11:31am On Jan 26, 2020
I am more concerned about the measures our government is taking. There are a lot of chinese nationals living and working in Nigeria who just returned To Nigeria as well as Nigerian tourists and business men that travelled for the Chinese New Year and might have been exposed to the virus . I hope they are fully alert Because Buharis government is notoriously incompetent
Re: Coronavirus: Remember The Ebola Virus Treatment? by shigoslim(m): 2:35pm On Jan 26, 2020
My fear exactly. This is not GEJ regime where information, proper precautions and measure are put in place.
I so much fear about this Buhari government who care less . I pray to God that may the Chinese government find the lasting solution to it.

(1) (Reply)

Heat Wave? / Herbal Medicine Fuyan Pill Has Active Effects For Blocked Fallopian Tubes / Let Me Shock You...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.